Sweet potato pancakes?

witzend

I have just plain been on a sweet potato craze for about a year and a half now. I don't eat white potatoes anymore, just sweet potatoes. If we're having steak, I do a sweet potato for me and a white potato for everyone else.

There are some restaurants that are now selling sweet potato pancakes. Mind you, I could eat pancakes every day, but I keep myself under control. But these sweet potato pancakes have got me going crazy! Now there's a restaurant about 1 mile from the house that sells them, but last week we spent $25 on breakfast, and that's not how I roll.

Does anyone know of a sweet potato pancake mix that they sell in the stores that is easy to make? I'm not too big on making a big batch of pancake mix by scratch because I'm the only one that craves them, and it's too much work. I'm sure you Southerners sell it at every store, but it's not obviously available up here.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
witz,

I'm assuming you've taken to sweet potato fries as well. We discovered these about a year ago & no longer buy french fries.

Hope you find your pancake mix real soon.

susiestar

Roll With It
Until your mix arrives, you can take any pancake mix, mash up a baked sweet potato, and add it with the liquid. You will have to play with the amount of sweet potato and liquid, but it will work if you are a little patient.

DammitJanet

Witz...have you tried good ole southern tater bread? Considering the hankering you have taken to sweet taters, I would just bet you would love some of Tonys Grandma Sadies tater bread!

Now mind you this is all just based on memory but...you mash up cooked sweet taters. You can either bake them or peel them and boil them...doesnt matter. Once you mash them up, add pumpkin pie spice, sugar, butter, and self rising flour. Mix together well. Spread mixture in the bottom of a greased spider...oh I mean a skillet....errr...cake pan.....put in oven at 350 for about 30 to 45 mins.

Bread should be thin...maybe half an inch thick.

witzend

Oh, Janet! I'm going to have to get some particulars on that sweet potato bread! Linda, I love the Alexia Sweet Potato Fries! And I always have sweet potatoes in the fridge and nuke them to go with dinner a couple of times a week. They're really pretty good for you, and help with the sweet tooth, too!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I despise sweet potatoes in any way shape or form, but it seems to me that you could substitue mashed cooked SPs for bananas in recipes for banana pancakes and bread.

The texture and moisture content is pretty much the same. You'd have to fiddle with the sweetening some, but that's aboutall.

gottaloveem

Around Passover this year, in the Kosher section, there was a box of sweet potato pancake mix. I think it was by Manischewitz. So if there is a kosher section at a store near you, look there.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I despise sweet potatoes in any way shape or form.

You're on the same plate as me. Can't stand the things. I always hated when growing up you had to eat everything Mom made. I just couldn't stomach the sweet taters. Mashed taters...that's another story. I could live on them.

Abbey

witzend

I wouldn't eat a candied sweet potato with Marshamallows on top no matter what. That's just gross! And I never had a taste for them before. I'm not even that big on pumpkin pie! Which is made with sweet potatoes. I'm going on the hunt this morning in the specialty sections of the stores, though. Gottalovem, the mani whosits (sorry, I'm not even going to try to spell that without going back a few pages!) sweet potato pancakes are more like latkas (sp) than pancakes. They're kind of like shredded potato hash browns.

DammitJanet

Witz....I literally gave you the handed down recipe...lol. You basically mash it and taste it with your fingers and when it tastes ok...its time to bake it.

The bread isnt much like a "bread" in a banana bread or nut bread..its more like a thick thick slab of pie without a crust.

Mashed taters, some flour, eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice...and you just have to play with the amounts because it is all based on the amount of taters you are using ...lol. She made it for years and she died about 10 years ago so I cant ask her..