Sweet recipes without real sugar? Stivia maybe?

AllStressedOut

My youngest difficult child is on the stinkiest diet ever for his reactive hypoglycemia and his birthday is coming up. I was thinking it would be a nice treat to have some normal foods that day and I still plan on doing this, but I thought, wouldn't it be cool to have treats that weekend too? However, I think his little body would go on sugar intake overload. His diet doesn't allow him to have artificial sweetener either though, so no splenda. Does anyone know how to bake with stivia? Any good recipes with wheat flour or soybean flour? What about with honey or applesauce as the sweetener?

meowbunny

Here's a couple of recipes that might work.

BANANA CUP CAKES (SUGAR FREE)
1 egg
1 c. butter
2/3 c. Fructose
1 c. mashed bananas
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. soda
2 tbsp. vanilla

Mix egg, butter and fructose cream together. Add bananas and flour, dissolve soda in vanilla. Add to mixture; mix well. Bake in prepared muffin tins. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.

SUGAR FREE APPLE CAKE
1 c. honey
1 c. safflower oil
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. chopped pecans
3 c. chopped apples
3/4 c. raisins
3 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. (each) mace, cloves & nutmeg

Combine first 3 ingredients and beat with mixer 3 minutes. Add vanilla and stir. Sift dry ingredients together and gradually beat into 1st mixture. Add apples, pecans and raisins with a spoon. Pour into a tube pan or 13 x 9 inch pan and bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes. Tube 1 hour.

Pam R

We use NO sweeteners: sugar, honey, molasses, maple syrup, artificial, stevia.

What we do use are fruits: banana or apple juice or apple juice concentrate in very small amounts.

If your palate is accustomed to the sweetness of bought things, then these things will not taste sweet at all.

But we've been on the program for 4.5 years now and it's amazing how sweet things taste with a little fruit added.

If he's hypoglycemic, honey and fructose (separated from the fiber of the fruit) may also make him react.

A good way to keep his blood sugar steady is to make sure he has something with protein whenever he eats anything processed or sweet: cheese stick, nuts, some meat.

I can't tolerate any wheat products but a good baking mix can be made from 1/2 brown rice flour: 1/2 oat flour. I use this in shortcakes and pizza crust.

Pam R.

susiestar

Roll With It
There are quite a few cook books for kids that use fructose or concentrated apple or grape juice for sweetening.

Is it just sugar (glucose) that is the problem? Is fructose a problem? People sometimes think that fructose is not "sugar" but it is sugar from fruits. So checking with your nutritionist might be a very good idea.

Special days where you blow a diet with a serving or 2 of foods off your diet can be ok, but if you have too much of the "forbidden" foods then you can be really miserable at night or the next few days. Sometimes that isn't fun to see as a parent or spouse. (Can you tell I have been there done that with food problems?)

I have found with my kids that if they are having sweet items off their diets having protein items (on their diets) to balance really helps.

Artificial colors may also contribute to problems, so if you are going to do icing, the spray on food color gives a lot less color for the effect. You can also use different fruit juices from frozen fruits to color things.

I do have a wonderful carrot cake if you want the recipe. I can probably find one made with juice as a sweetener if that will work, just let me know.

OH- just thought to mention this, if your kiddo likes the "store bought" cakes because of the decorations (spongebob, whatever), many bakeries will sell you just the cake decorations alone. Around here WalMart is the cheapest, you just have to ask at the bakery and explain it is for a child with food allergies or problems. They have been very helpful at all the bakeries here, but WalMart has been the cheapest.

Susie

AllStressedOut

He can't have fructrose in high concentration either, very limited on fruits and no juices. I thought maybe if I could find a recipe with no sugar applesauce as the sweetener, it might be worth a try. I am all for him skipping the diet for a day, but it is so hard to get a taste and then nothing for months. He can't have white carbs either, so its hard to bake a cake when you can only add some soy flour. Wheat is 1 serving a day, so I guess one slice of cake wouldn't be bad with wheat flour. I'd love the carrot cake recipe. I'm all for trying some new things even if its only a once in awhile treat.