Swine flu in our area and daughter has it. Swine anywhere else?

DammitJanet

I am hunting Flu and H1N1 shots. I keep calling my doctor office but they are out. I need them cause of my problems. I am hoping they vaccinate Cory while he is in jail. That would seem to be a good thing considering he is that age and they get people in and out constantly who could be sick and can you imagine if they got infected...it would be rampant.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Difference between Cold and Swine Flu Symptoms

Symptom

Cold

Swine Flu

Fever

Fever is rare with a cold.

Fever is usually present with the flu in up to 80% of all flu cases. A temperature of 100°F or higher for 3 to 4 days is associated with the flu.

Coughing

A hacking, productive (mucus- producing) cough is often present with a cold.

A non-productive (non-mucus producing) cough is usually present with the flu (sometimes referred to as dry cough).

Aches

Slight body aches and pains can be part of a cold.

Severe aches and pains are common with the flu.

Stuffy Nose

Stuffy nose is commonly present with a cold and typically resolves spontaneously within a week.

Stuffy nose is not commonly present with the flu.

Chills

Chills are uncommon with a cold.

60% of people who have the flu experience chills.

Tiredness

Tiredness is fairly mild with a cold.

Tiredness is moderate to severe with the flu.

Sneezing

Sneezing is commonly present with a cold.

Sneezing is not common with the flu.

Sudden Symptom s

Cold symptoms tend to develop over a few days.

The flu has a rapid onset within 3-6 hours. The flu hits hard and includes sudden symptoms like high fever, aches and pains.

Headache

A headache is fairly uncommon with a cold.

A headache is very common with the flu, present in 80% of flu cases.

Sore Throat

Sore throat is commonly present with a cold.

Sore throat is not commonly present with the flu.

Chest Discomfort

Chest discomfort is mild to moderate with a cold.

Chest discomfort is often severe with the flu.

RECOGNIZE SWINE FLU SYMPTOMS! DEFEND YOURSELF

High Risk Groups

· Children below 5 years
· Senior persons above 65 years
· HIV infected persons
· Diabetic patients
· Pregnant Women
· Lung & Heart patients
· Obese persons

Warning signs for children
§ Bluish skin color/ Troubled or abnormal breathing
§ Lessened intake of water/fluids
§ Extended sleep or lack of interaction
§ Irritable
§ Fever with rash
§ Flu-like symptoms recede, but return with fever and worsened cough

Warning signs for adults

· Difficulty in breathing or shortness of breath
· Pain/pressure in chest/abdomen
· Sudden dizziness
· Confusion
· Severe or persistent vomiting
ü Seasonal flu vaccines or past immunizations DO NOT provide protection against the H1N1 virus
ü Please visit a qualified physician if you suspect Swi ne Flu symptoms. Avoid self-treatment
* Persons infected with the H1N1 virus may be able to pass it on 1 day before symptoms develop and up to 7 days after infection.

Star*

call 911........call 911
We've had 4 children die recently from swine flu. That's the number that our local hospital is reporting although they have recanted about one girl and said it was JUST the flu. In our office one of the contractors son's has it. Across the way one of the bookkeepers has gotten it and she said it almost killed her. It has wiped out her immune system. She's been down with it for 3 weeks. It wiped out her intestinal system and is now in her upper GI system like a bad case of bronchitis - she has blisters in her mouth and the doctor said while it's not H1N1 that is giving her the blisters it IS related to the fact that it has depleted her immune system. SHe sent me this that her doctor gave her.

The only portals of entry are the nostrils and mouth/throat.It requires hand mouth or hand nostril contamination In a global epidemic of this nature, it's almost impossible not coming into contact with H1N1 in spite of all precautions. Contact with H1N1 is not so much of a problem as proliferation is. While you are still healthy and not showing any symptoms of H1N1 infection, in order to prevent proliferation, aggravation of symptoms and development of secondary infections, some very simple steps, not fully highlighted in most official communications, can be practiced (instead of focusing on how to stock N95 or Tamiflu):
1. Frequent hand-washing (well highlighted in all official communications).
2. "Hands-off-the-face" approach. Resist all temptations to touch any part of face (unless you want to eat, bathe or slap).
3. *Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (use Listerine if you don't trust salt). *H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/nasal cavity to proliferate and show characteristic symptoms. Simple gargling prevents proliferation. In a way, gargling with salt water has the same effect on a healthy individual that Tamiflu has on an infected one. Don't underestimate this simple, inexpensive and powerful preventative method.
4. Similar to 3 above, *clean your nostrils at least once every day with warm salt water. *Not everybody may be good at using a Neti pot, but *blowing the nose hard once a day and swabbing both nostrils with cotton swabs dipped in warm salt water is very effective in bringing down viral population.*
5. *Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C. *If you have to supplement with Vitamin C tablets, make sure that it also has Zinc to boost absorption.
6. *Drink as much of warm liquids (tea, coffee, etc) as you can. *Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they cannot survive, proliferate or do any harm.
7. DO NOT shake hands, hold hands. If you must shake hands, clean immediately
8. Don't touch knobs, faucet handles, etc. Use a paper towel to use these publicly touched things

I suggest you pass this on to your entire e-list; you never know who might pay attention to it - and STAY ALIVE because of it -

mstang67chic

Going Green
I know it's here but I don't know how many kids are out. My friend's boys both have it....weird he doesn't because the boys live in different households.

But...in today's local paper, there is an article on the flu and vaccines. Our paper was bought out in the last couple of years and has gone steadily downhill since. How? you may ask? Here's an example. This is the list they printed of the priority list for the vaccine recipients in our county:

Pregnant women
Household contacts and caregivers for children younger than 6 mos. old
People ages 6 mos - 24 years old
Healthcare and emergency medical workers
People ages 25 - 64
People ages 65 and up.

Ummmm.......wouldn't that be EVERYONE in the county????? Morons.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ummmm.......wouldn't that be EVERYONE in the county????? Morons.

LMAO!!

Nichole is calling the health dept to see if we have vaccines yet.......cuz they're supposed to not be live vaccines. I worry with Aubrey in day care. OMG she catches everything under the sun from all the other kids.........I could just see it.

I should have it.......I qualify having had the heart attack and with my kidney disease. No money for it though.......so I wash my hands to death and keep my distance from anyone who's sick.

Nichole and easy child still think I had it a coupld of weeks ago. I dunno. I was sick as a dog.......but naw. Probably no sicker than with the reg flu. And shoot, I've had reg flu's last up to 2 wks. This one was just a tad over a week. And I bounced right back. I doubt my immune system is that good.

If health dept has non live vaccines......easy child will get the boys vaccinnated, otherwise, no.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
CDC quit requiring testing and reporting for H1N1 a few weeks ago. As a result, they are now saying that H1n1 is being used as a 'catchall' for any sort of severe respiratory infection with flu-like symptoms.

There's a suspicion that many symptom based diagnoses might be/have been, in reality, cases of early-onset seasonal influenza.

The big problem with this is that an awful lot of people who were diagnosed in this way with H1N1 may have had regular flu and now think they are immune to H1N1, and aren't.

Sheila

difficult child had it a couple of weeks ago.

XISD finally closed all the schools in the district for a couple of days. Not sure it did any good....

It's nasty.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I got my seasonal flu shot already. I started getting them when husband became ill (so I didn't transmit it to him and so that I could continue to care for him). I still get that so there's little chance of my transmitting that to my mother or my sister, both of whom are high-risk.

I don't even know if I will have access to the H1N1 vaccine when it comes out. I'm not in the high risk groups and there are limited amounts of vaccine available.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Yes, GN, I also got my regular shot, so did difficult child. We're considered high risk because we all have asthma to a degree, me the worst. easy child is stalling - some stupid people she works with keep telling her she doesn't need it. Ugh. I have been on H to get one but, he too, is against the whole idea of getting a vaccine. I reminded him that he should thank his mom for making sure he always got his as a child. Argh.

Also, in case anyone didn't know, the H1N1 vaccine includes the regular flu vaccine in it. You can certainly get both, but there is no need to get the regular vaccine once you've had the H1N1 vaccine. Just an FYI.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Apparently it is a problem here. We got a letter in the mail yesterday from the school district. They are going to vaccinate all of the students from elementary on up as long as they have parental permission.

DDD

husband and I have "a cold" this week. We're sniffing, coughing with expectoration and feel like garbage. on the other hand, we don't have intestinal symptoms nor do we have fever. We're over 65 and eager for the cold to go away so we don't subconsiously think "swine". It's been a problem for the young people in Florida but we haven't heard much about the elders.
Of course ;) where we live everyone avoids the local hospitals because they have difficulty identifying a broken arm from sore muscles. LOL DDD

K

Kjs

difficult child came home Monday and announced that his good friend who sits right next to him in geometry was really sick all last week. The kids mom wouldn't let him go home. difficult child said he slept through all the classes. Even threw up. Monday he was called to the office. Later, difficult child was talking to him on cell phone. He has a confirmed case of H1N1 and the results just came in. His mom called school and he is not to return for 2 weeks. He said he felt fine now.

I am upset with the mother. Why would you send you kid sick? And what's with school? They should of realized he was sick. difficult child said he looked horrible. They should of sent him home. Especially since he had a fever.!!!!

difficult child said he didn't feel good Monday night, but I think it is because he thought about it too much.

Today he was coughing. Not much, It seemed to be MUCH exagerated. No fever. He didn't complain about feeling ill. But he did say - School will probably send me home. Knowing how much he hates school. Knowing his anxiety, hearing the MUCH exagerated cough...I don't think he is sick. If he was he would of complained about feeling ill. He never did. Only stated school will send him home.

Schools will close on a need to basis. When there is 25% of the kids gone, then they will close. Lots of sick people. I was at the Dr. yesterday and everyone is required to wear a mask. I went for a physical and wasn't feeling sick. difficult child and I have just had a never ending headache.

horserider

Over 200 schools closed here in Michigan heard on the news today. My son is in a program at the jjc, I asked the nurse if they are planning to give the vacine (when it is available-still hard to get here). She said no plans for the kids, but they will vacinate the employees!

What on earth are they going to do with the kids there if it starts going around? They can't send them all home. This is crazy.

I work in retail and disenfect every surface with rubbing alcohol, scary working with- the public.

Prayers to us all our easy child's, families and difficult child's make it through this season okay.

smallworld

JoG, where did you hear that the H1N1 vaccine includes the seasonal flu vaccine? I don't think that's true. Our pediatrician is requiring the kids to get both vaccines. And I think that's what the CDC is requiring as well. It's on the website.

Andy

My nieces's husband (mid 20 years old) is in ICU with no visitors allowed. My niece has been told not to go to work and to stay in town. They want to test her also for H1N1. There is a 5 year old in the home.

People are not using common sense. There is one case of a guy who was diagnosed - the grandma went and took the young child out of the home (I will not have my granddaughter getting this). That child has already been exposed but whatever! I thought, that is fine, take the child home with you until I heard that Grandma runs a day care. She just took the child who has been exposed into her daycare in a totally different town and exposed that community through the day care. Little girl gets sick so mom calls the girl's mom and says, "Your daughter is sick, I can't take care of her, come get her!"

I really think when someone is sick and it is determined that it can be the H1N1 that the entire household should stay at home a few days just to see if they are going to get sick. Like everything else, you are often contageous before symptoms appear.

difficult child was sick last night - I am sure it is just a reaction to the flu mist vaccine but I am not taking any chances of taking a flu into my work so I am staying home today also even though I feel 100% well.