Swine flu

Nancy

difficult child has the swine flu. I picked her up last Wednesday and brought her home. At one point her fever was 103.9, chills, cough, aches, headache, respiratory symptoms. We thought she was doing better, temp was down to 99, so we brought her back to school yesterday. Today she called and said her temp is back to 101, her cough is nonstop and she is vomiting.

This swine flu is really bad.

Nancy

smallworld

Nancy, she may have a bacterial infection at this point. You may want to have her checked by a doctor. One of the points that kept being made on TV and radio was that if a patient seemed to be doing better and then took a turn for the worse, it coud signal a secondary bacterial infection. I don't think you can be too careful with the swine flu.

I'm sorry she's so ill. I hope she's on the mend soon.

lmf64

Nancy,
I know you know this, but just a reminder. If her fever went down and stayed down for 24 hours without medications and then she started running a fever again she needs to be seen by a doctor again. She has a secondary infection and that's what makes the swine flu so bad. In most cases the secondary infection is a bacterial pneumonia and needs to be treated by heavy duty anti biotics.
Lisa

Nancy

Thanks ladies, she has an appointment at the college health center for 8:45 tomorrow morning, otherwise I would have brought her back home and taken her to the dr here. I'm probably going to get a call to pick her up again. This couldn't come at a worse time since she has a hearing Wednesday at the college for her drinking/pot incident and she has a drug awareness class to go to Saturday there, all court ordered.

Nancy

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I'm sorry, Nancy. It sounds terrible. I hope difficult child feels better soon and that you and husband don't get it, too.

Hugs,
Suz

KTMom91

Hope she feels better soon. It took Miss KT over a week to really feel better. This swine flu is no joke.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Will the court postpone her mandatory class or the hearing?
If not she will have to go sick just like adults. Consequences are tough.

I would imagine in order to avoid contamination they will allow her some leeway or a surgical mask.
It's hard to see them sick but you know where she is.
I hated when difficult child was sick away from home. I felt like I had to take care of him but when was the last time someone ran to take care of you? Adult world doesn't work like that.

Hope today she is feeling better.

DDD

Submit in advance written proof of her illness B4 she misses any meeting that the Court mandated. A warrant can be issued (and around here would be issued) if anyone skips a meeting or class. I'm still not over the shock of easy child/difficult child being taken from his bed (two weeks after he got home from brain surgery) because the message I sent to the misdemeanor court got lost in the shuffle.

Frankly they likely will be glad not to have infections around.

I hope she recovers soon. Everyone I know, however, down this way is struggling for weeks to get back on their feet...even with-o swine symptoms. Flu season is rough this year. Good luck. DDD

Nancy

She just got back from the health center and she does not have pneumonia or other infection. The dr said it is common to have a bad cough after the flu symptoms subside so they gave her cough medicine (codeine...great!) I'm still suprised that her fever was gone because she had one all day yesterday, but relieved that she is not seriously ill and hopefully will be able to get her responsibilities done.

Nancy

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ack, Nancy. Just got off the phone with my daughter at college with Swine. She sounded so horrible with the cough! This is 3 days in. I told her to go back to the doctor, but she's twice as stubborn as me. I thought Swine was just flu, not cough. Guess I was wrong.

They won't let her back on campus for 10 days. And, they have to notify every possible person on earth that she has it. Not a fun thing to go through. I talked to her about going down to help her, but really...what good is that? Now I have the swine flu? haha...maybe I'm too old for it.

At least at her university they notify all professors and you are basically excempt from all classes and assignments.

Yucky all around.

Abbey

K

Kjs

the secondary infection is what I was told too. difficult child had high temp, sore throat, body aches, sleepy, and horrible cough. Dr. said to watch the temp. If it goes back up and cough is not gone within 7 days total he needs antibiotics.

TerryJ2

I am so sorry, Nancy, and everyone whose kids have had this.

I agree with-Kjs and Imf, that the secondary infections are what do people in. They come on very quickly--24 hrs--and quite often the bacterial pneumonia is misdiagnosed.

Also, the fever coming and going is common with-all of this. My husband had the flu last wk and he got over it very quickly--3 days--but my son has been sick on and off for 2-3 wks. The fever goes down to 99, then back up to 101, then back down, then up, then goes away completely and comes back the next day. Aggravating, to say the least.

I hope my daughter keeps an eye on her fever. (Hallucinations on another thread here on WC)

Healthy wishes for all of us!