Swollen/fluid on knee question

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Hi all. I've had one bad knee for years, resulted from twisting it while stepping off a ladder.
Saturday, however, the OTHER knee was bothering me. Not major, just kinda felt pinched, like when you wear really tight jeans and have to bend a lot. Also noticed a couple times thru the day that the foot on the same side was numb. But again, wasn't enough that I really paid attention to it until late in the evening, when I was getting up and down helping difficult child with lego's. So I decided to look at it was HUGE. AS in, couldn't see I had a knee.

I got off of it asap, took advil and iced it repeatedly. It was better yesterday, but I stayed down as much as I could. There is still some fluid on it, tho not nearly as much. It kinda hurts to touch in one spot, and every once in a while I'll bend it just right that really pinches something, but most of the time, it feels ok.

How long should I give it before I see a doctor?

nvts

Not being an alarmist here, but sometimes the "tender to touch" can indicate gout/phlebitis.

That being said, I had the same problem. I tore the cartiledge in my right knee when I was a kid, but they didn't see the damage. As an adult, my left knee started to swell and I blew out my achilles tendon on the left ankle. When I went to the ortho guy, my soon to be husband pointed out to him that my right leg was about 6 inches thinner than my left. Turned out I was so used to favoring the right that I'd built up the left without knowing it.

Quick surgery on the right and all was right with the world!

Beth

susiequte

wrap it with an ACE wrap, stay off of it and keep it elevated. If it doesn't go back to normal within a few days or it gets bigger, red or hot, get to the doctor ASAP.

BusynMember

I just had a knee problem! I work out a lot and bend my knees when I do. turned out to be a hamstring pull, so I'd go right away. I'm having physical therapy and I can still work out and it's getting better. Since I live in Wisconsin, um, I'm not always in the mood to ICE my knee, lol. I've gotten used to taking a bath (ok, now you will all learn what a perv I am) and stick my sore leg out on the toilet top, which is right by the tub and put a frozen bag of broccoli on that knee...lol. It works and I'm not cold while sitting in a hot bath...lol. Since knee problems can get worse, even if it's not major, I'd have x-rays. I found out I have arthritis in my knees, and that made me saaaaaaaaaad. It was my first "old lady" symptom other than needing glasses...lol. I tend to fight old age. My motto is "I won't go down without a fight!"
Get it seen, but don't get alarmed :wink: