Swollen glands. What could it be?

Californiablonde

So the other night I was in the shower and when I was shaving I noticed that my underarm hurt. I felt it with my fingers and I felt a small gland that was swollen. Now both glands in my neck are swollen and they hurt. I've had swollen glands before but never in two different places. Now I'm worried. I don't have any other symptoms. I don't have a fever and it doesn't feel like I'm getting sick. What could it be? I'm a little bit of a hypochondriac sometimes and I get overly anxious when something goes wrong with my body. It's not my imagination, however. The gland really are swollen and they hurt real bad. What could cause gland swelling in two different places?

T

TeDo

You need to see a doctor! It could be nothing but there are things it could be that don't have other symptoms until it's bad. Get it checked out NOW please. That would not be something I would put off....but then I err on the side of caution. Let us know what you find out.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
If it's something new that you've never noticed before you should have it looked at. It could be a viral infection-you do not always have a fever or even know it sometimes, but your body may be fighting it nonetheless.

I have swollen lymph nodes under my arms every month, part of my fabulous PMS and they aree very uncomfortable, like a bunch of grapes under my arm. I've had swollen neck glands along with that, so for me it's no out of the ordinary. However, the first time I noticed it, I freaked!

Better to be safe and have it looked at.

ctmom05

Take your concerns to a medical professional .. .. ..

I've been treated for non hodgkins lymphoma, a type of cancer that can cause your lymph nodes to be larger than normal, 6 different times - the most recent occurence being this summer.

I have NEVER experienced pain in any lymph nodes that were enlarged. In all likelihood you are dealing with a simple infection, which should be easy enough to determine. Infections don't always cause your temp to go up.

Don't second guess, give yourself some peace of mind and get things checked out with your doctor.

witzend

It could be cysts, but it could be something else, too. Do make an appointment. They will make room to see you ASAP.

Californiablonde

Well the gland in my underarm is no longer there.
Now it's just my neck. The neck glands already feel like they are going down too. I'm going to wait it out and see what happens. A doctor visit will cost me $20 and since I'm not working I really can't afford to go until I absolutely have to. Besides, doctors scare me. Hopefully they will be gone tomorrow. If not, I will have to break down and spend the money and go.

P

PatriotsGirl

Well the gland in my underarm is no longer there.
Now it's just my neck. The neck glands already feel like they are going down too. I'm going to wait it out and see what happens. A doctor visit will cost me $20 and since I'm not working I really can't afford to go until I absolutely have to. Besides, doctors scare me. Hopefully they will be gone tomorrow. If not, I will have to break down and spend the money and go.

I am a fellow hypo here. I, too, get swollen glands under my arms once in a while - seems related to PMS. I have heard that if they hurt, that is a good sign...

BusynMember

I was once such a terrible hypochondriac (during the worst of my borderline years) that I actually knew all the paramedics...haha (but it's true). So I understand your fear and feel for you. If it's going away was probably just an infection. I had horrible swollen glands when I had mono, but I also was so tired, I couldn't get out of bed so I doubt that you have it. Rather than keep worrying, unless you are calmer now, it is better to put out that $20 for peace of mind. Honestly, I am almost 59 now and, for all the times I freaked out and called the paramedics because I thought I was having a heart attack or some other beastly disease, up until now (knocking on wood) I have never had a serious illness. What a waste of time my hypochondriac years were for me!
I think this is something we grow out of. At least some of us. I do worry a little about unusual symptoms, but I haven't called the paramedics in about thirty years. Hugs :)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ok, as a nurse, I'm gonna tell you like it is CB.

Swollen glands can be anything from a virus to something potentially serious. That you had swollen glands in both your underarm area AND your neck tells me it's probably not a virus (might still be though, but they don't usually affect the armpit unless more symptoms are going on) and it's NOT an ingrown hair. That you had swollen glands in two areas (and yes the armpit one is a huge red flag) tells me you could potentially have something serious going on.

CB, you need checked NOW. I get you don't want to shell out 20 bucks and docs scare you. But this is your life you're talking about and if it's something serious, you'll feel mighty foolish having ignored it for 20 bucks or fear.

How long since you last did a breast self exam? If it hasn't been within a month, do one NOW. If you're not sure how, google it and find out. Also check the other under arm. Any lumps in the groin area?

And since you're reluctant to be checked I'm gonna give you the worst it could be, cancer. And IF that is what it is and it's triggered your lymph system........well let's just say you'll be kicking yourself for that measly 20 bucks everyday for a very long time.

So please be smart and get checked. It just isn't worth it not to. by the way swollen armpit glands should ALWAYS be checked by a doctor.

Hugs

I agree go get it checked. Once I had 2 swollen ones on my neck, about a year after going through breast cancer treatment. The Dr. told me that if they were soft and moveable, it was just the aftermath of a cold or some virus I didn't even know I had. If they are hard and don't move- it's not nothing.Anyway, the peace of mind is worth the 20. I was so scared, I had husband leave work and have an emergency appointment. Another hypocondriac here.

witzend

If you can't afford your co-pay, make an appointment at Planned Parenthood, or even walk in. This is what they do.

Californiablonde

Well now my swollen glands are gone. They have completely vanished. I'm still worried. What could have caused this? What did I have wrong? I can't brush this off so easily. I can't very well go to my doctor now and ask him what's wrong with me since all my symptoms have vanished. I'm still worried and I hope I can get some rest tonight.

witzend

You might google "transient swollen glands" and see what comes up. It could even have been an allergy to something in the air or a scent. I don't think I would worry unless they come back, but I would be sure to keep aware of it.