Sydney welcomes New Year

lizzie09

lizzie
G,day Marguerite.....Sydney has already welcomed the New Year as we have seen on TV. Best Wishes!!!

Happy Newe Year everyone....Good luck to us all with our difficult children and other family members!

Lizzie

KTMom91

Since it's after 8 pm here in CA, I know you've already celebrated, Lizzie. Wishing you and yours a safe and happy 2009.

Marguerite

Sydney did look good, didn't it? The full fireworks display lasted fifteen minutes but the best was kept until last.

I mentioned in another thread, that while we watched it on TV, we could still hear the thumps from the mortars firing the big fireworks shells high into the air.

It's been a glorious summer new year's day today, the water at the beach was warm and pleasant to swim in. After a swim I lay on the sand and did some puzzles. I didn't bother with a towel, I just lie on the sand because I'll go and wash the sand off when I need to turn over. Lying on a towel only gets the towel covered in sand and wet. I usually leave my towel in the car, and walk to the beach in just my swimsuit, carrying my book and keys. Today because I was feeling a bit unwell, I carried a bag with a hat (with flap down the back, keeps the sun off the back of the neck) and a bottle of water. There was quite a sting in the sun.

While we were there, we saw a lot of neighbours and friends as well as quite a few tourists. One woman fishing on the rocks nearby caught a lovely big snapper, one of Sydney's best eating fish. The entire beach broke out into applause.

It's a very small beach, only about 30 metres from headland to headland, and even these headlands are tiny, it's like a beach in miniature. It's at one end of a much larger beach, a full kilometre-long sweep of unspoilt, undeveloped sandy beach. Our little patch of it is quite wild sometimes, because of the small size. The waves can break over you in five different directions, but today it was quite calm.

I'm fighting a summer cold so I'm not sticking around much tonight, I'm heading for bed. My tan is building up fast but we now have a few days where it will be cooler and possibly rainy (I'll believe the rain when we see it!). Tonight at 7 pm it was still over 30 C (86 F) but a cool wind has swept through, cooling the night.

Enjoy your new year celebrations!

Marg