Taco Salad

Andy

At a graduation open house this Spring, I had the BEST taco salad. It was sweet (wondering if french dressing was in it?). I have been craving it since then and can not find the recipe (I have e-mailed the hostess but she has not returned that request).

Does anyone here have a recipe for a sweet taco salad?

Thank you!

mstang67chic

Going Green
My friend's mother in law makes one and the dressing is made with Ketchup, oil, sugar and possibly vinegar. If this sounds right, let me know and I can get the recipe for you. She brings it to most food events at my friend's house. There's been more than one time that my friend's sister and I have almost literally knocked each other down to get to the salad first! LOL

Andy

I am not familiar with rice vinegar - not sure if it is used much around here. It did taste like French or Western dressing in it so maybe the ketchup, oil, sugar, possible vinegar may be it.

If it has a sweet taste to it (I usually don't like regular tacos) and people run for it, then I am interested. It really was difficult for me to mind my manners and not go back for a huge helping (was tempted to take the entire bowl home but figured there were too many eyes watching).

Next time I get to go to an event that your friend's mother's taco salad is made, I will allow you two to go first. I will be 3rd and then walk off with the entire bowl. (It is polite to do so if people know ahead of time that I will do that isn't it?)

SRL

I know a recipe like that. You add 1 pound taco meat to a head of shredded lettuce. Add a bottle of Western dressing, shredded mild cheddar cheese and a bag of crushed up Fritos. Mix together right before serving and only make the amount you want because it doesn't keep well.

Andy

Thank you SRL - that does sound like it - We are probably going grocery shopping Saturday or Sunday so I will add this to my shopping list. If it is too much for easy child and I, I can always send some to easy child's friends who live on their own.

Mom In Training - I will look for the Rice Vinegar to try.

KTMom91

My mother in law makes really good taco salad. She uses about a cup of mayo and adds Tabasco to it for the dressing. She says to add more Tabasco than you usually would because the flavor dissipates when you toss it. Yum.

susiestar

Roll With It
SRL, that sounds really good. could you use crushed tortilla chips instead of fritos? We never seem to have fritos but usually have tortilla chips.

Adrianne, of COURSE it is polite to take the bowl if you have given notice. If you give enough notice, you can simply intercept the bowl before it goes into the house, therefore it was never at the party and rudeness can't enter into it. (though you do have to be careful when lurking outside to get the RIGHT bowl, taking more than 2 or 3 would be greedy.)

Abbey

Spork Queen
I'm the dissenting vote here. Rice vinegar? Ugh. Sorry.

I do roughly the same thing, though. Brown some burger or tofu, regular taco toppings, then mix some Italian dressing with taco seasoning. It makes a great meal.

Hmmm...it's 4:30am and I want to go cook now. Thanks, guys.

Abbey

Marguerite

Rice vinegar might also be labelled as rice wine vinegar or sushi vinegar.

Another possibility is balsamic vinegar, although that is usually darker in colour.

When I'm cooking either my curries, or my special spicy sweet tomato relish, I use malt vinegar, often with brown sugar. It's also good with my slow-cooked lamb shanks and vegetables...

Adrianne, when I find a recipe that I really enjoyed, but can't find where it's written down, I experiment with food until I think I've been able to duplicate it. Then I write it down. If I find a modification tat tastes even better, I then claim the recipe as my own.

Marg

Andy

So, it sounds like this is a throw together with no measuring using whatever you have on hand type of recipie - right up my alley!

I did buy lettuce, taco seasoning, western dressing, tomato, cheese, tortilla chips and will be throwing my version together later today following SRL's lead - easy, one package of this, one bottle of that, etc.

Thank you all for your guidance - I think I have ranch dressing also so will try some with that.

I forgot to look for Rice vinegar - I didn't see it the dressings aisle so was going to check with the vinegars but got distracted trying to remember the other items (didn't have anything written down). Abbey, I promise not to use it when making a salad for you. :redface:

Marg - I have a creamed cucumber recipie that I claim as my own - however, I don't have measures written down just "know" how much while making. (cucumbers, onions, mayonaisse, sugar, mustard, dill seed or dill weed) The dill seed or dill weed is the addition I don't always see - just remember seed is stronger than the weed so not to use as much. The dill should just be a hint of flavor.

I will let you all know how the taco salad turns out.

Andy

I made it! :) Yummy

1 lb hamburger fried
1 pkg of mild taco seasoning
3/4 c. water

12 oz crushed tostidos chips (bite sized)
3/4 bag of lettuce (torn up even smaller)
1 C. shredded cheddar cheese
1 tomato, diced
8 oz Light Western dressinng

easy child also liked it. I think it will be even better once chilled. difficult child and I are meeting the neighbors out at the lake so when we get back I will have some "chilled". I guess I don't have Ranch dressing on hand so was unable to try that.

klmno

Rice vinegar can sometimes be found with other asian/japanese sauces and foods.

Now, I don't recall ever seeing "western" dressing. Is it with salad dressings?

Andy

Yes, Western dressing is with the regular salad dressings - it is a red dressing like French dressing.

Abbey, you can stop by tonight - it doesn't last long so if not eaten you won't want to eat it after tonight.

I will whip up another batch for our next cyber party.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Abbey, you can stop by tonight - it doesn't last long so if not eaten you won't want to eat it after tonight.

I will whip up another batch for our next cyber party.

I'm running for the cyber plane right now. (I can see the big CD sign on the side...I'll just run and catch on.)

Abbey

Andy

Another Cyber Party!!! YEAH!!!

Reason? Do we really need one? This is a "just because we want a salad" party. So, everyone bring their favorite salad (and the recipie if it is short and easy)

And if no one comes, Abbey and I get the taco salad to ourselves.

:rofl: