Taking things literally

TerryJ2

Maybe this is a regular "kid thing," but it happens more often than not with-my Aspie-lite difficult child. He takes something too literally and ...
:laugh:
husband told me to remove my crackers from the pantry because they had wheat. I said no, they're boring, unsalted table water crackers. difficult child doesn't like them.
Tonight, husband pointed out that the box was empty. Uh oh.:anxious:
difficult child's nose is bright red and peeling.:surprise:
I showed him the empty box and, knowing full well he ate them, but needing an answer, I said, "difficult child, can you please help me find these crackers? I want some and can't find the bag that was inside."

He said, "I ate them."
"Why? They have wheat."
"Oh. The label said they were made from water."
ROFL!!! :laugh:
How can you be mad at a kid like that?

everywoman

My poor Jana, although she is has no diagnosis, is so totally literal it isn't funny. She is all analytical in her thinking---never understands the nuances of language, but can do a trig problem in seconds.

Marguerite

Oh, it's an Aspie thing, definitely. When you live in a household where EVERYBODY is literal-minded at everyone else, you learn to adapt. It's second nature now, for me to say "correct" instead of "right". Learning to avoid the slightest risk of ambiguity was a real challenge.

It was brought home to me when sister in law & nieces came to stay with mother in law down the road. We had most meals there for several weeks qwhich required a lot of adaptability with our kids. sister in law was at first understanding but I think she was getting mentally tired by it all and towards the end of the stay was getting quite exasperated at times. I know she's said we have done an amazing job with our kids, but it's not HER job and after being around our lot for a few weeks, I thikn she just gives up. Don't blame her...

But she did say, at one of our last meals together where we had difficult child 1 & daughter in law as well, that she couldn't stand living in a house where so many people were Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and pedantic, all at the same time.

difficult child 3 is getting batter at light sarcasm, though. I told him to get his own lunch, he wanted nachos (Marg style) which is corn chips in a bowl, a dollop of bolognese sauce on top, covered with grated cheddar then put under the oven grill.
He just walked in and said to me, "Sometimes it helps to turn on the oven."
He had put it in the oven, turned on the timer and walked away. When the timer went off he realised his meal was still uncooked. But he is laughing at himself over it instead of getting loudly angry, so I call that progress!

Marg

TerryJ2

Everywoman, I don't know if this would work with-your daughter, but I try to use different words on different days. For example if there's a beautiful sunset, I'll say, "Oh, look at that bright fuschia!" Another day will be orange and russet.
Of course, if I buy a pink blouse at the store and show it to my family, my difficult child will shout, "That's NOT pink, it's FUSCIA!" in no uncertain terms.
Sometimes I dig my own grave.

everywoman

Terry, she's 19. She just doesn't get metaphorical language. I think it's genetic. husband's sister is the same way. It's some sort of verbal deficiency. Not sure what. They even make up their own words or mix up worlds---sound like the real thing---but not. For instance, when she had surgery her first knee surgery a few years ago, she asked me to ask the dr. if he was going to prescribe "deflammatory" pills. My sister in law was taking her daughter through McD's drive through, ordered a value meal, and then told them to circumcise it. Niece was 15 at the time and mortified. They know it is wrong after they say it, and can laugh about it, but it happens all the time.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
OMG that's funny. Circumcise a value meal.

How about liposuck it?

difficult child 1 was/is very literal. He still struggles with sarcasm. difficult child 2 is getting better, but it is a challenge. You can actually see him processing a sarcastic statement, trying to decide if its literal or not. He works hard at it.

Fran

Former desparate mom
difficult child is learning humor and sarcasm. He will stop and say, "that's sarcasm isn't it?"

I love a funny difficult child.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Whoops. I am still trying to live down the great produce dept fiasco.

This happened when I asked the manager if they had any "bordello' mushrooms.

The manager nearly died on the spot and husband simply doubled over laughing.

My mother, who is an Aspie, is of the "Remember all the starving children in China" stage of Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) management growing up.

She once infuriated her father (an extremely rigid, plain nasty old coot. He's celebrating his 100th b-day in March) who is not your nice kind of Aspie, by turning around, marching herself and her dish up to her father, and says, "Fine. Maybe they'd like. I sure don't. D'you have an address to send it to?"

TerryJ2

if he was going to prescribe "deflammatory" pills. My sister in law was taking her daughter through McD's drive through, ordered a value meal, and then told them to circumcise it.

OMG, that's precious!

Going North, great response on her part!

I love the bordello mushrooms, too!

Fran, yes, my son does that, too. He's getting to the point where he'll just give me a look, instead of orally confirming the sarcasm.

DazedandConfused

Oh my! I took Son to get his hair cut today (just getting him out of the house was a chore). I see my hairstylist and she wishes me "Happy New Year".

Son: "New Years is over. It was over nine days ago".

(Mind you this is a small salon and everyone heard).

Me: "Well, yes, New Years DAY is over. She just wanted to wish me Happy New Year because she hasn't seen me since December"

(Son still doesn't get it)

So my stylist says: "Happy Valentines Day!":gifts:

BusynMember

That's so cute. My son drives me nuts with his "literal." He is quite a backseat driver. "Mom, you're about 1/2 inch over the white line!!! You'll get a ticket!!!"
"Mom, you're going 47 mph and the speed limit says 45! You're breaking the law!"

And then:
"Mom, it's not 2 degrees out, it's 3."
"Mom, my shirt isn't really blue. It's more a greenish-yellowish-blue with some white spots.

Arrrrrrrrrgh! LOL ;)