Taking Video Games to a New Place

susiestar

Roll With It
Now I have heard about gaming addiction, and people who won't leave the computer even to use the restroom.

Now Sega is planning to release Toylets in Japan. These are urinals with video games. The user has a choice of 4 games - ALL controlled by the flow of his urine! In one they try to blow up a woman's dress, where the gamer is the wind - the force of the wind depends on the force of the flow. One calculates how much they release. The third has them try to erase graffiti on a wall with forceful urination. The last one actually lets them compete with the last person who peed the game - the player is a sumo wrestler trying to blast an opponent out of the ring with the force of the milk flowing from the wrestler's nose - the force of the deposit determines the force of the spew.

I can see that this might have an appeal, but it is GROSS! I hope this is a trend that does NOT cross from Japan to the US.

What do you think? Does this take gaming too far? Increase a man's fascination with that part of his body? Will we see awards for who has the "highest score"? Bars where patrons can cheer each other on in this game? Youtube videos of men trying to distract each other as they "play"? A series of "fail" videos of men trying to distract each other and accidentally getting peed on as they succeed in distracting the gamer? Will we have a home version that hooks into the toilet? Or maybe a version to put on your Xbox that has to be emptied the way a child's potty seat does?

What is next? An "Ants on a Log" game with poop was the control? What about a game for women?

Wouldn't it be AWESOME if they could make a version that worked to get the kids to scrub the tub or do the dishes? Sensors that register the pressure of the scrubber and you can paint a picture or erase the one your sister did when she scrubbed, or maybe it would lead you through a maze so you had to move the brush to whatever area you hadn't scrubbed to accomplish the game task (like ms pacman) or even lead you around to wipe out the walrus (instead of whacking the mole)??

People have more fun than anybody, to quote my great grandmother. Weirder fun too.

Here is the thread about the new game - I swear I didn't make it up! http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/10/sega-brings-gaming-to-the-bathroom-with-urine-controlled-video-g/

H

HaoZi

Japan says it all. Very different place. Lots of things like that that would seem very strange to us. But also an incredibly strong work and education ethic.

Marguerite

Japan even has it's ow unique difficult child disorder - hikikomori. Look it up. Fascinating. Also look up Takeshi's Castle.

Because we live in the same time zone as Japan, we are exposed to a lot more Japanese culture than the US.

Marg

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I like the ones on housework! Let's figure this one out.

Otherwise... Too many people are too obsessed with too much screen.

Ugh.

KTMom91

Is Takeshi's Castle that game show where people try different challenges and are made fun of by the emcees when they fail?

H

HaoZi

hikikomori doesn't look any different to people I've seen with similar issues, just a different name.