Talked Plan B with the teacher

S

ShanDiann

It didn't go over to well. :(
Teacher basically said the expectations are for all students, and difficult child should not be treated any differently. I tried to remain calm and explain that she would save herself alot of headache if she would chose her battles. The most recent incident could have been prevented. difficult child had to walk laps at recess for not following directions during a science activity. Well he walked them ( a big step) but cut the corners. She made him redo them not once, but twice. He ended up throwing his shoe at her.
We have a meeting with the team Friday. They have received my written notification that I would like difficult child to be screened for a possible disability. I was told that I need to bring possible interventions that I would like implemented as well as research to back them up. Other than Plan B, any suggestions???

Wiped Out

Staff member
That is one stubborn teacher! She made him re-walk it twice-yikes! My difficult child would never have complied. She really does need to realize that while expectations are for all children she needs to utilize Plan B. How you get her to realize that I don't know. I'm glad you gave your request in writing. Usually at a first meeting with a team (at my school), it's an information gathering stage and deciding who needs to be on the iep and what type of testing needs to be done. You might want to post this over in the Special Education. forum as well as they should have more ideas.

BusynMember

Don't let them throw you around. You have rights.
Write a letter to the principal and the Special Education director, even though you've already talked to the teacher--she isn't really who you have to deal with in this. Also send the same in an e-mail. Sign the letter and say that you want your child tested for an IEP. They have to do it. They have 30 days or so to get it done...not sure, but this is where your Advocate comes in. Call your state Dept. of Public Education and ask for the person in charge of Special Education. After you find out your rights, and have booklets mailed to you, make sure you ask for the name of the FREE parent advocate in your district and have her help you with this every step of the way. Don't talk to the school without her. I make the Special Education Director talk to my advocate, not me, because SHE knows my rights and the laws and I do not.
The teacher is being unnecessarily rigid and obviously thinks your child has a character flaw instead of a disability. Your child only has YOU to fight for him (and a father if one is around). Don't make any moves without getting all the help you can first. Tomorrow morning call your state Dept. of Education. They are in the state capital. Don't bother trying to reason with the teachers anymore. Do it the right way and get the testing done. Also, learn your rights.
Good luck! :)

slsh

member since 1999
I was told that I need to bring possible interventions that I would like implemented as well as research to back them up.

OMGOSH... it never ceases to amaze me what junk SDs try to pass off to parents. Sigh... nothing like putting the cart before the horse, and on your shoulders to boot.

The whole point of *evaluating* for a disability is so that areas of difficulty can be identified, and *then* interventions can be determined by the entire team. It is absolutely positively *NOT* your responsibility to come up with- interventions (though certainly your input is needed since you know your son better than anyone at the school), and it sure as heck is not your responsibility to present "research" to back up your requests. That's just about one of the most ridiculous requests I've ever heard from a SD. If they make that request again, request to see the written school policy and the section of IDEA that requires parents to provide research to SDs (it doesn't exist).

I think you need to get in touch with an advocate ASAP. It can only help to have someone with you who is aware of sped law and requirements, so the SD doesn't have the opportunity to send you on wild goose chases.

I would also request, in writing, certified letter, that a functional behavioral analysis be performed on your son. It sounds like his teacher has gotten into an adversarial mindset with him - utterly counterproductive. An FBA will identify behaviors, triggers, and then the team will need to come up with- strategies to manage behaviors and document them in a behavior management (or intervention - different terminology in different states) plan. *That's* where your input will really be essential.

I'd also check out http://www.ncpublicschools.org/positivebehavior/

Again, I think you need to find an advocate to help you maneuver thru this process. While you certainly can do it on your own, you need to be familiar enough with- the laws to know when the SD is just yanking your chain. You can start reading up on the procedures/rules here http://www.wrightslaw.com/idea/law.htm

Hang in there, keep your cool, and take it one step at a time.

Allan-Matlem

Teacher basically said the expectations are for all students, - yes , but how do you deal with unmet expectations - do you work with kids to help them reflect on what they did and come up with a better plan or do you punish them and what does punishment teach them or rather what lesson do they learn - they should not get caught next time and this just proves that the teacher is mean and does not care about me
and difficult child should not be treated any differently. - other kids are interested in seeing that problems are being solved and can appreciate that fair does not mean equal , in any case why should difficult child be punished just because he lacks the skills to respond appropriately when demands placed apon him outstrip the skills he has to respond appropriately
I tried to remain calm and explain that she would save herself alot of headache if she would chose her battles. - she would avoid an escalation of the conflict and a possible meltdown if she would not try to use Plan A - impose her will and punish but rather calm the situation and work on your son's challenging behaviors with him .

The most recent incident could have been prevented. difficult child had to walk laps at recess for not following directions during a science activity. - Not following directions was not an act of defiance but due to difficult child lacking skills - for eg executive functions - how is punishing him going to help him acquire those skills.

Well he walked them ( a big step) but cut the corners. She made him redo them not once, but twice. He ended up throwing his shoe at her. - don't you think making suffer for lacking skills is extremely frustrating for a kid and it was just a matter of time that he would explode ? wouldn't you agree that the teacher played a big part and contributed to difficult child explosive behavior ?

We have a meeting with the team Friday. They have received my written notification that I would like difficult child to be screened for a possible disability. I was told that I need to bring possible interventions that I would like implemented as well as research to back them up. Other than Plan B, any suggestions???

I would prepare a check list of difficult child's lacking skills from http://livesinthebalance.org site - check the paperwork Alsup , the similar checklist on http://thinkkids.org the TSI may be better because it divides the lacking skills into executive functions, language processesing skills etc

This helps us establish that the problem is not defiance or the lack of motivation to behave but his behavior is telling us that he lacks the coping skills.

How do we make difficult child accountable and take responsibility - we help him acquire skills and solve his problems in a durable manner
how do we do this - by engaging in solving problems in the context of his concerns - we promote life skills , relationship and solve problems
Is it easy - No

When i have a meeting at school I use CPS to address the concerns of the school , I generally try to be the one who asks the questions - would you not agree , don't you think .

I hope this helps

Allan

S

ShanDiann

Thank You all for your replies - We had another incident today. Not sure what happened, but difficult child held the chair over his head like he was going to hit the teacher (he didn't) It has been referred to the principal. The school will let me know what they decide. I am contacting NC Public schools tomorrow morning and find out about the advocate. I know that the teacher has to do 6 weeks interventions before any testing can be done. The SD uses the RTI model which I believe requires this.

Allan-Matlem

Rti and cps - plan B can go together - check the link - lost at school answers - look for RTI - this could help you advocate for your child

Allan

slsh

member since 1999
Shan - if you sent a certified letter requesting that your son be evaluated for potential disabilities, the district has X (60? 90?) number of days to get that evaluation done. No "6 weeks of intervention by teacher" before testing. That may be SD policy, but it doesn't stop the time line according to IDEA (Federal law supersedes state law and/or district policy).

If you let them do their "interventions" for 6 weeks, that is going to put you at about Christmas break, so they aren't going to start testing until next year. You could be well into third quarter before you even find out the results of their testing. You need to hold them to the Federal time line (sorry, exact # of days is escaping me - I'm thinking 60 for initial evaluation, but cannot remember if that is 60 school days or 60 calendar days - huge difference).

In the meantime, your son's behaviors are interfering with his ability to receive an education, especially if they start suspending him.

Since you have requested that he be evaluated for potential disabilities, the SD has been made aware of that and I believe they cannot suspend him for more than 10 school days without changing placement.

You really really *really* need to get an advocate on board ASAP.

A

agee

Hey there -
I don't know where you are in NC, but there's an advocate in the Triangle area: look up Triangle Parent Navigator. I haven't used her but I read the CHADD listserv for the Triangle and she has been recommended by several folks on that list.
As I understand it all schools in NC are supposed to be implementing RTI, but depending on where you child's school is in the process they may be less able or more able to go forward with it. My son's school started last year and due to poor training and a stupid teacher, RTI didn't go forward as it needed to. This year it's a different story and they're moving forward. I don't think that the 6 week rule is hard and fast for behavioral RTI so I'd look into it.
I would also camp outside the principal's door and see if your child can get a change of teacher. I know this is difficult but a 7 year old suspended for behavior problems so many times seems completely out of the norm, and something needs to be done sooner rather than later. Even if RTI goes forward and eventually he's shown to need an IEP and/or different placement things cannot go on as they have been.
Good luck.
A

H

HaoZi

I don't know if the time varies by state, here it's 50 *school* days to do it.
Shan, also try http://www.thearc.org/page.aspx?pid=2583 I went through there, found my state one and contacted them by email to see about getting an advocate. I had an email back shortly after that the one in my area was out of town but will be calling me tomorrow evening.