Talked to Star

witzend

I was checking in with her to be sure that she and hers would be warm and dry with the upcoming deluge (we shall see if it really happens). Dude (does that tell you how long I've been here?) had a bad accident last summer but is recovering. One reaction to that is that she decided to live life to the fullest and to get a better job. She got a job that she is excited about, gave her bosses at the 911 center her notice and will start the new job soon. She feels relieved that she is living what's best for her. The 911 center promised much but did not follow through.

I'm quite happy for her, hope that Dude will fully recover, and hope that the rain will be a drop in the bucket. They are fully prepared with generators and water and foodstuffs. If they start to float away they know that they and the furbabies have a place to stay with us.

Calamity Jane

When I first joined this board, I couldn't wait to see Star's posts. She's bigger than life, so inspirational, and her "voice" was just so unique and strong, that reading her posts really helped me put things in perspective. She has a texture to her writing that I'm sure any novelist would be grateful to have, and she's got a big heart to boot.

I'm so glad you keep in touch, and that she's doing well. Wish her luck on her new job for me, and I'm glad Dude is on the mend. How is her DF (Dear Fiancee)?

witzend

I think that DF is doing ok. He was in pretty poor health several years ago, but she didn't mention it today so I'm hoping for the best. I miss her insight, as well.

TerryJ2

Thank you for the update, Witzend!
I think about Star and how much fun she was and how interesting ... and I didn't recall that she was on the E.Coast, so I'm glad that she was hunkered down. Turns out that the hurricane went to sea, but we have gotten rain, rain, rain for a week now and more to come.

mom_to_3

Happy you talked to Star and that she is doing well. I miss seeing you and hearing your level headed opinions and responses. Hope you are doing well too!

witzend

Update to the Update:

Texted Star yesterday to see how she and her DF were holding up in the storm. She said "it's very bad. I'm at work (911) horrible. you can't get in or out. Interstates shut down."

I'm going to be keeping an eye to see to it that they have what they need as her area comes back to life, and will let you know if there's any realistic way that we can help. I'm happy to run down with clean water or clothing or watever they might need. They're welcome to stay with me if they want, but life isn't that easy for anyone I'm sure. She's got that new job to start and I know she's excited, so I want to be sure that is able and ready to continue her move forward.