Tax Question, anyone?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Shari, Jan 23, 2009.

  1. Shari

    Shari IsItFridayYet?

    I've been needing to look into this for some time. know how that goes.

    I was told we can deduct wee difficult child's private school expense because we sent him there due to his diagnosis.

    Problem is, we don't itemize deductions. Does anyone know how to go about this or where, in the lovely 10 million pages of irs code to start looking?

    If not, when I get back on my feet, I'll be visiting the tax man.
  2. Woofens

    Woofens New Member

    My SO itemizes expenses every year. He won't be home until around 9 eastern time, but I can ask him for you, and post then!
  3. WhymeMom?

    WhymeMom? No real answers to life..

    Think I would google tax deductions for education...... I seem to recall there is something available, but I have no professional knowledge and the tax code changes frequently......
  4. KTMom91

    KTMom91 Well-Known Member

    Call the IRS. The phone lines open at 6 am Eastern time and close at 10 pm Pacific time. The earlier or the later you call, the better. Don't call when most of the country is awake. Ask for tax law. It's tax law until you've filed the return, then it becomes customer service.
  5. Star*

    Star* call 911

  6. Stella Johnson

    Stella Johnson Active Member

    I just follow all the instructions Turbo Tax gives. I've seen it on the forms you fill out on it but my difficult child is in public school so I never itemize those.
    I do know you have to itemize to deduct it though.
    Do you own a house? if so, you should be itemizing anyway.

  7. flutterbee

    flutterbee Guest

    You can download it for free and it's very comprehensive - asks a lot of questions and gives a lot of prompts. I've used it for about 10 years now...and I worked for a CPA firm. I used this program over the firm's.