tea tree oil

scent of cedar

Tea tree (maleluca) oil is said to be both anti-fungal and anti-biotic. I just had a sinus infection for which I took an antibiotic ~ the infection seemed to come back once the antibiotic had been completed. Then, I was reading about yeast overgrowth in relation to antibiotic use. I have been using a drop or two of tea tree oil in warm water to gargle with, and am pleased with the results.

I also used this on an insect bite once with good results.

Is anyone familiar with this product?

It comes from the leaves of a bush which grows in Australian swampland. It was used by the aboriginal peoples there in poultice form.

I was reading that it can even be used for acne, and that it is one weapon in the HIV/AIDS arsenal that is currently being explored for its anti-fungal properties.

So far, I have found it very effective.

Barbara

Tea tree oil is, as you said, antifungal, antibiotic and antiseptic. As such, it should be used cautiously. You want to try to work with the body, instead of "anti", as much as possible.
For the sinuses, you may want to consider irrigation with a neti pot.

SRL

One word of caution: tea tree oil can be a strong allergen and can cause rapid allergic reactions in some people. I used it once to tackle a mildew problem in our basement and I started reacting shortly after I started. My allergies have settled down considerably since then but given the rapid onset of the reaction it's a product I avoid.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Tea tree oil is a light hydrocarbon with a very narrow toxicity range. It is not to be used internally and in fact, many docs are backing off of recommending it be used externally in chronic situations.

I have seen severe neuro reactions to the oil in cats, birds, and dogs.

The neti pot can be good as a preventative but should not be used in cases of active infection due to risk of 'pushing' the bacteria further into the sinuses.