Tears In Our House The Other Night

B

Bunny

Tears of JOY!!!!!!!!!

easy child is starting to play football this fall, and we have discovered that he is actually really good at it. The coach has decided to make him the starting quarterback, which is really exciting to me and husband, but in the past these are the things that sends difficult child through the roof because he feels like we are paying more attention to easy child than to him.

The other night after dinner easy child and I went out in the front yard so that he could get a little practice in throwing the ball. We were out there about ten minutes when difficult child pokes his head out the door.

difficult child: What are you guys doing?
Me: easy child and I are throwing the ball around so that he can get some extra practice. Why don't you get your shoes on and come and play with us?
difficult child: Well, I'm not very good.
Me: Doesn't matter if you're good or not. Come on out and play with us.

So, he went in, got his shoes and came out to play with us.

Now, keep in mind there would have been a time when helping easy child get some extra practice in would have caused a HUGE meltdown with difficult child screaming that we're playing with easy child and not him (which is because difficult child doesn't play any sports and the only thing that he likes to do is play video games, which I don't like to do) and f you because you don't love me. You only love him!. You know how that goes.

Nope. Not this time. He came out and played with us for about 40 minutes and he asked easy child what easy child needed him to do and where he needed him to be. I could not believe it! It was such a great thing to see. difficult child out playing with us and allowing easy child to be the center of attention

Calamity Jane

THAT is heartwarming! I'm sure you and easy child appreciated the enjoyment and cooperation and "family fun time" with no meltdowns! May it continue!

T

TeDo

What a refreshing thing to read today!! I am so excited for all of you. Now you have an example to use in the future with difficult child, Know what I mean?? You can remind him of the entire situation and how ALL of you enjoyed it, him included.

LOVE IT!!!

B

bigbear11

So happy for you guys. That happy story wasn't what I expected when I saw the title of the thread ;-).

JJJ

I think difficult child needs to "overhear" you telling grandma about what a great big brother difficult child is and how he is helping easy child with his football. (Cause I know a direct compliment will melt him down! lol)

B

Bunny

I think difficult child needs to "overhear" you telling grandma about what a great big brother difficult child is and how he is helping easy child with his football. (Cause I know a direct compliment will melt him down! lol)

Hehehehehehe!!!! He did!! I was talking to my BFF and he overheard me telling her about it and he said to me later, "You were happy I came out to practice with you guys?" I told him, "Of course I was! I thought that we all had fun playing together."

husband plans to take easy child outside tomorrow to get him some more throwing practice and husband already asked difficult child if he would like to play, too, and difficult child said that he would. Might be a fun activity for the whole family.

Football! Who would have thunk it?