Ted Kennedy died

JJJ

America is somehow something less today. We were raised looking up to the Kennedy's and their contributions to America politics. (Being Irish Catholic in America and being born on the same day at Robert Kennedy's assassination).

No other single family in modern times has had such an impact on who we are as a country. He will be missed.

muttmeister

I just heard the news when I woke up. Somehow, I do feel that we, as a country, are less than we were; that we somehow how lost something important. In spite of being from a staunchly Republican family, I was a great fan of President Kennedy, who was elected about the time I went from grade school to high school. Robert Kennedy spoke at the University of Nebraska while I was a student there and I campaigned for him. In a way, I think Ted Kennedy will have a greater influence than either of them, as he was a power in the Senate for so long. Whether you loved him or loathed him, he did a lot of good for us. I just heard them say on TV that, by his votes over the years, he was the most bi-partisan Senator there. That surprised me. He was always a voice for the poor, and the down-trodden. We all know he was human with human frailties, but so are we all. My greatest hope, which may not come true, is that they will pass some kind of a meaningful health care bill and name it after him.

Fran

Former desparate mom
It is a sad day.
Mutt, I didn't know he was the most bipartisan senator. It actually makes me respect him more. He represented all his constituents and wanted all of them to feel the effects of democracy. Not just the downtrodden.
His flaws were of a more personal nature and didn't really have anything to do with the job he did. None of my business. I'm glad he got over them and continued on with his work.
Public service was what he did for us. A very impressive person.

TerryJ2

Even though I knew he had brain cancer, I was surprised, in a sense, to see the headline. Same with-Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson. I know they're in trouble but when the end comes, I'm always surprised.
There will be a huge section in the history books for Kennedy.

klmno

I was surprised, too, but am glad that he didn't die a slower, more painful death. I did have a feeluing when I read that he had written a long letter to his governor about the process of getting his replacement last week- and when he didn't go to his sister's funeral. I agree that it is a loss for our country. Since difficult child was born, our country has really become such a different place where we can't count on the comfort and security and dependable people who fight for the little man anymore.

Star*

call 911........call 911
A terrible loss. Really makes you wonder who will be in the corner for the common man now? This has been a very "taking" year of historical people.

My heart goes out to his family.

DDD

Didn't his sister, Eunice, just die a few days ago? I believe the good things he accomplished in his life far outweigh the bad choices. DDD

KTMom91

My first thought was for the family, after Eunice's death about two weeks ago (?), the older generation is gone. I was too young to understand the earlier history, my mom says the family was celebrating my first birthday when JFK was killed.

Very sad.

BusynMember

I just know he died with the dignity he lived with. He made some foolish choices, but I think the good sooooooooo outweighed the bad. I'm only sorry he couldn't live to see his dream of healthcare for all Americans. But I know he'll be watching.

He is one of my heroes. I was sad to hear of his passing, but am glad he didn't suffer any more. Brain cancer is not fun. My mother died of it.

RIP, Senator Kennedy.

Nancy

It is a very sad day indeed. He has left a hole in our country that just will never be filled. His family said it best:

"We've lost the irreplaceable center of our family and joyous light in our lives, but the inspiration of his faith, optimism, and perseverance will live on in our hearts forever. We thank everyone who gave him care and support over this last year, and everyone who stood with him for so many years in his tireless march for progress toward justice, fairness and opportunity for all. He loved this country and devoted his life to serving it. He always believed that our best days were still ahead, but it's hard to imagine any of them without him."

Nancy