Teeth whitening & skin bleaching

flutterby

Fly away!
I'm going to have a little money coming to me, and I was going to spend a little on myself before putting the rest aside for bills.

This illness has taken so much from me. I used to always have my hair done, makeup on, dressed fashionably...and now I feel like a frump. So, I want to do something to make me feel better. I don't really know anything about these products aside from what I've read online and wanted your input.

I was thinking about this (below) for teeth whitening, but am concerned that it might cause sensitivity. Anyone have experience with it? Or others?

And, I've developed skin darkening (age spots? sun damage?) on my face that I absolutely hate. I also have cystic acne that has left scars and discoloration. I know nothing about skin bleaching products.

Thoughts? TIA.

H

HaoZi

Best bet is talk to your dentist about available products and side effects. My dentist likes the Crest stuff so much you can buy it in her office!

For sun damage and whatnot, I've found ROC night products do really well, but what I'd like to get done again is microdermabrasion. I got one treatment four years ago and the results were wonderful with minimal sensitivity. In the last year some of the deeper damage has started making an appearance, so I'd really love to get a set of sessions done next time instead of just one treatment. The thing to remember with those treatments is that you can't use ROC or other alpha-hydroxy or retinol products for a week before or after, because it can cause your skin to be too sensitive or get easily damaged.

jal

About 5 years ago my dentist went to a convention where she discovered Zoom, the teeth whitening system. She had scheduled the manufacturer to send a rep out for a trial and asked me if I wanted to be the guinea pig. Heck at $500 a pop, u bet (and this was a freebee). My teeth weren't bad at all, but I do smoke and heck everyone's teeth get dull with food colorings, etc. I did it and loved the results. It lasts a long time. I had a little sensitivity for about 2-3 days, but that was it. You cannot smoke or drink coffee, or use things like mustard or ketchup for several days after as it can affect the results. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

flutterby

Fly away!
I can't afford to have my teeth whitened professionally, although I would love to, so I'm looking for good alternatives.

susiestar

Roll With It
I have heard it is a good product.

It would be a good idea to at least call the dentist and ask which of the OTC whitening products they would recommend.

I don't have a clue about skin lightening, other than to have snippets of that eons old commercial for Porcelana stuck in my memory.

Whatever you do, if it helps you to feel better about yourself then I am all for it!!!

mom_to_3

For your skin, I would suggest going to a dermatologist. I work for a medical / surgical dermatologist, not a cosmetic dermatologist. I have seen some amazing things happen there! There are medications to help you and a dermatologist would be your most cost effective option in the long run.