Television commercials that make you laugh.....or cry

BusynMember

I used to laugh at the Geico commercials...they were so ridiculous that I thought they were funny. But they've gone downhill.

I have actually cried at the Humane Society commercials to the point that I had to mute the sound and shut my eyes. Those animals make me sooooooooo sad. I also have a hard time with those commercials for kids in deprived countries.

Anything for you?

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
These make me cry:
The St. Jude's commercials.
The Humane Society commercials.
Hallmark commercials.
All time favorite, Christmas Folgers coffee commercial, the one where the son comes home early in the morning and makes coffee and the mom wakes up to the smell then comes downstairs and is so happy her son is home. It's an oldy but a goody.

The one that cracks me up is for United Health Care. The song from the movie Dirty Dancing comes on and the husband and wife "reenact" it. The woman goes running to leap in husbands arms but he's not quite ready and he drops her. They chat with an online Dr. and he asks "what happened again" and the wife says "I came in too hot"

I also like the Subaru commercial where the "male" Golden Retriever is driving and sees a "French Poodle" and the "female" Golden gives him that look.

Lil

The one that cracks me up is for United Health Care. The song from the movie Dirty Dancing comes on and the husband and wife "reenact" it. The woman goes running to leap in husbands arms but he's not quite ready and he drops her. They chat with an online Dr. and he asks "what happened again" and the wife says "I came in too hot"

I love that one.

donna723

I can't watch the ones showing the starved, abused dogs in shelters. I hit "mute" and look the other way till it's over. And I hate the Subaru(?) commercial where the guy is checking off items on the bucket list he's made out for his elderly dog! Don't wanna see that! One that makes me tear up every time is the one where the uniformed military people are returning home from overseas and all the people in the airport stand up and applaude them as they walk by!

nerfherder

Remember the Hungarian GE (I think) commercial celebrating the fall of communism? "I feel young again!"

Can't find it on YouTube at all, and going by all the Google searching, nobody else can either. I wonder (irony) if it was pulled due to copyright issues, or if GE doesn't want to remind anyone about how it felt to be free after totalitarian abuse of the population.

Or other more disturbing reasons.

BusynMember

I'm not going to look on YouTube for this one, but if you've seen it, you'll know it.
There's the Brady parents sitting on a couch and an ugly, mangy man is screaming about how ticked he is because Peter threw a football and it hit him in the nose. One of them gives the angry person a Snickers bar and it turns into Marcia Brady. The first time I saw that, I roared. Then, on the stairs, a whiny looking man comes down and pouts then says, "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia."
Maybe I'm the only one who likes that one, but it really gave me a good laugh.

Lil

I'm not going to look on YouTube for this one, but if you've seen it, you'll know it.
There's the Brady parents sitting on a couch and an ugly, mangy man is screaming about how ticked he is because Peter threw a football and it hit him in the nose. One of them gives the angry person a Snickers bar and it turns into Marcia Brady. The first time I saw that, I roared. Then, on the stairs, a whiny looking man comes down and pouts then says, "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia."
Maybe I'm the only one who likes that one, but it really gave me a good laugh.

Is it bad that Jabber and I know both of those actors? The "ugly, mangy man" is Danny Trejo and the "whiny looking man" is Steve Buscemi. LOL Both pretty well-known character actors.

I think we might watch too much TV. :p

I love those Snicker's commercials. My favorite is still the Betty White one...which was the first one I saw. But this Brady Bunch one comes a close second.

witzend

"The "ugly, mangy man" is Danny Trejo and the "whiny looking man" is Steve Buscemi. LOL Both pretty well-known character actors."

Steve Buscemi a character actor? Boardwalk Empire was the best!

Lil

Boardwalk Empire was the best!

Well, he's not exactly the leading man type. :)

I know him from other things...Armageddon, The Wedding Singer, The Big Lebowski, Con Air, Fargo...I could go on and on. But I never saw Boardwalk Empire.

witzend

Well, he's not exactly the leading man type. :)

I know him from other things...Armageddon, The Wedding Singer, The Big Lebowski, Con Air, Fargo...I could go on and on. But I never saw Boardwalk Empire.
If you liked "Fargo", you'd like "Boardwalk Empire". It's five seasons of genius, and he's way more than a character actor. He's good in "The Sopranos" too, but a minor character in one season.

Lil

I just generally like Steve Buscemi.

Did you know that after 9-11 he worked with the fire department searching for bodies in the rubble? He had been a fireman in the 1980's and after 9-11 he went to his old department in New York and asked to volunteer. He spent weeks in that hell, doing what he could to search for the missing...never gave interviews or allowed himself to be photographed - an amazing guy.

BusynMember

Is it bad that Jabber and I know both of those actors? The "ugly, mangy man" is Danny Trejo and the "whiny looking man" is Steve Buscemi. LOL Both pretty well-known character actors.
Nope, I think it's funny that you know them. Good commercial. I think of it every time I see a Snickers bar.

I must not watch enough television. I don't who they are, but they sure make me laugh ;)

donna723

Of course my all-time favorite commercials, the very best of them all, are the Anheuser Busch commercials with the Clydesdales! Every single one of them is a classic!

BusynMember

You reminded me. Back in the day, when I was young and lived in Chicago, I used to love the Budweiser commercials that they showed for the Cubs games.

Does anyone remember the famous "Where's the beef?" Forgot w hat fast food chain that was.

And "I've fallen and I can't get up" has made a HUGE comback!!!

donna723

I was born and raised in St. Louis and grew up seeing those Clydesdales at Cardinals games, parades, at Grants Farm, etc. And a few years ago we were at Sea World (owned by Busch) and saw the ones they have there. They're HUGE and soooo beautiful! They had a corral with several little ones with their mothers ... gorgeous little things. Maybe you have to be from St. Louis to get all teary-eyed and sentimental at seeing a bunch of big horses pulling a beer wagon but I'm not the only one. Several of my cousins admitted that they do it too!

Last edited: