Telling Keyana about Great Grandpapa

DammitJanet

I told Keyana last night about my dad dying. I know some folks might say I should just have ignored it and let her know if she ever asked but I wanted to tell her in an age appropriate way because Hailie knows.

I told her in what I think is a special way.

I bought a little photo frame that has a mat that says something about memories and I put a picture of her and my dad in it. One of the last pictures she took with him. I glued a moon and stars to the frame.

I also got her a little blue teddy bear that has 3 little stars on its belly. Very soft little bear.

I told her that Grandpapa had been very sick and he died and went up to heaven. Heaven is where Jesus lives and it is up there where all the stars are.

She really got me when she asked me if I took her book that she had recorded to Grandpapa and when I said yes and he loved it so much, then she asked me if Grandpapa had taken the book to Heaven with him. Sigh.

Well...she just loved her bear and said she would call him snuggles and take good care of him. We got home to her Grandma Linda's house and she told her all about the bear and her Grandpapa and then she told us both...Oh...look up there...There is my Grandpapa...see that bright and shiny star! Thats him!!! I love you Grandpapa!

Linda and I almost cried.

Jena

that is really sweet she is absolutely adorable and only you know what's best so no judging here ever! I think you handled it very very well.

((hugs))

What a beautiful way to explain things to Keyana!!! She will always have wonderful memories of her Great Grandpapa and think of him whenever she looks up at the sky... SFR

H

HaoZi

That's a beautiful way to tell her, Janet. I don't know why you wouldn't tell her, people seem so squeamish about the realities of life (and death) these days, when you used to sit the body in the house in the old days and death was just accepted as the natural cycle.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Janet that was a very beautiful way to tell her about her grandpa.

I don't understand this new idea to attempt to hide death from children as death is very much a part of life. Keyana now knows that Grandpapa has moved on to a better place, but he will always be with her forever. You gave her a very special gift.

((((hugs))))

gcvmom

Here we go again!
That was a really special and wonderful thing for you to do, Janet. You are an awesome grandmother!

donna723

Janet, I think you handled it beautifully. It was age-appropriate, she understood, and it left her with the warm feeling of still having a special connection to her great-grandpa. Keyana is just about the same age that my son was when my mother died, and I wish I had done half as good a job of explaining it as you just did!