Temporary withdrawal of student/IEP continues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepperidge

Hi,

I have put my son in wilderness program for the rest of school year. Did not ask school district to pay for it. He may be back to school afterwards. What happens to his IEP? Can they cancel it? What do we have to do to maintain it?

Thanks.

dadside

I suggest you talk to the school principal or spec. ed. director -- and make clear notes what they say. It may depend on state regs, and can depend on what you told them when you took him out of school. One interpretation could be that you withdrew the student and have him out of the school district, so he is no longer one for them to follow, so "everything" like the IEP would terminate. Actually, the IEP could follow him to his new school, but here there is no school for an IEP.

JJJ

Will he be returning to the public school at that start of next year? If so, just let them be aware of that and his IEP should remain in effect.

JJJ

The IEP doesn't really expire. That is just the date that the IEP team must review the IEP and create a new one for the next year. If the team doesn't meet in time, the goals continue. Special Education eligibility can only end with a decision of the IEP team to end services or a child's 22nd birthday.

If you can get a doctor's note stating he needs to go to that program, they can put him on Homebound/Hospital instruction until he returns.

F

FlipFlops

I actually just went through this. I had put my son at a wilderness type school as well. I hope things improve for your family. It was very helpful for mine. School is another thing, but homelife is just this side of a miracle.

They will probably do a transfer ARD when he goes back. At least that is what mine was SUPPOSED to do but did not. Violation on their part. You would probably be able to keep everything in place though.

Be a little cautious with the school when he comes back, unless you have a really good relationship with them. My son came back a new kid. He wasn't perfect, but so much better. Violence had been the biggest reason we placed our son. Since he has been home there has been only one time where he pushed his brother and then me. This is really a huge improvement!!! Anyway. While it was happening I could almost see the little wheels in hit head turning. I could see him struggling to keep it together and not loose it. He was able to stay in check and not do anything further which I was so happy about.
School was a different story. I had changed some of my methods for dealing with him and responding to him when he got frustrated. The school was not as flexible and things took a negative turn. I think partly they were expecting him to be the same ball of fire that left before and somewhat backed him in a corner. Well, they call the proverbial corner the "cool down room". It did not go well at all. So make sure if your child shows improvement when he comes home that you prep the school better than I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.