Thanksgiving Menus

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Both Brandon and Aubrey are veggie (especially raw) and salad nuts.

easy child can't eat a salad without Brandon begging for most of it. Trinity I had to laugh over the Nomahnoes because Brandon does that. lol Aubrey begs for broccoi and cauliflower and Brandon thinks carrot sticks are candy.

My kids were the same way though, they loved fruit and veggies so much they were just as apt to pick those over a run of the meal junk treat.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL! That would be me. Mom says I was the only 2-y/o she knew who would demand spinach.

It took about 2 years to get Jett to eat broccoli and Brussels sprouts - but now I am sick of them. He no longer makes a huge deal about the food I put on his plate, but I can't get him to eat steamed or grilled squash - NO tomatoes AT ALL - I have to hide onions - olives and mushrooms are toxic - lettuce is "nasty"... I do remember him & Onyxx telling me about going to the store with bio. He was about 7 or 8, and he told bio she HAD TO BUY Brussels sprouts. Apparently this was a HUGE SURPRISE to her. (We later got an email from her telling husband that Brussels sprouts were BAD for children and he needed to learn how to feed the kids.)

InsaneCdn

Step - There's different kids of squash... K2 will eat almost any hardshell squash cooked, but doesn't really like spaghetti squash... and K1 won't eat squash unless its... spaghetti squash! (its a texture thing for these two)

Tomatoes... can be a subtle sensitivity.
Cooked onions is a texture thing, usually... we put through blender before cooking, rather than chopping.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Squash... Yellow or zucchini = YUM! Pumpkin (cooked properly) = YUM!

Butternut - fine, do NOT coat it in honey. (Blech). And spaghetti squash might be fine, but the texture makes me gag.

LOL... I love the first three.

donna723

My grandson, Ethan, is another veggie junkie. Go figure! The first regular baby food he ever had was strained peas (bleeech!) and he absolutely loved them! He even eats broccoli and brussel sprouts. And now at 2-1/2, he still eats everything green off his plate first and asks for more before he eats anything else! And he insists on having a napkin when he eats! Every few bites, he will pick up his napkin and pat his lips with it. He has no idea WHY he is doing this but they taught him to do it in daycare and he's stickin' with it!

InsaneCdn

Ummm...
Zuchinni... ONLY raw. Or baked into cakes.
Yellow = ??? haven't seen that one.
Pumpkin = pies and cakes and such.

Butternut... pre-cook in micro until really tender, then whip with butter, a bit of salt (spices optional). Put in a baking dish and sneak into the oven alongside the turkey or ham, for the last 45 or 50 minutes.

Spaghetti squash... husband will eat anything. So... when we have spaghetti squash, its husband and DS. When we have butternut, its husband and daughter! If there's leftovers of the other one hanging around, then the kid who likes that, gets that. Haven't tried this - we don't have this stuff in the house! - but I've been told by real people (not just books and articles) that spaghetti squash is a good, low-carb substitute for spaghetti... serve under meat sauce.

DDD

This year there will only be five of us and I'm trying to get motivated to "up the ante" and drop some of the traditional...mainly the green bean casserole, lol. difficult child#1 is providing pumpkin and pecan pies from the best place in town (using his free coupons he won at the fundraiser). Since daughter in law is not going to be here I'm thinking of fresh mushrooms in the stuffing. Maybe I'll roast fresh asparagus for a change. The one traditional dish is rutabagas. husband loves those things and all of us eat a spoonful, lol. DDD

My easy child gd loves fixing the appetizers. Her Mom doesn't cook so she feels accomplished when she makes the deviled eggs, the dill dip for vegetables and the stuffed celery. It will be nice to spend time alone with her....and her Dad, my former number one easy child.

donna723

Neither one of my kids would have touched squash or stewed tomatoes with a stick when they were younger until I started cooking them together! It's one of those things that sounds awful but it all comes together in to a whole different thing. I take a few small yellow squash and a few green zuchinni, cut them into bite sized pieces and put them in a heavy sauce pan with a lid. Cut up a small onion and put in on the top, then dump a can of stewed or diced tomatoes (with the liquid) over it, a little salt and pepper, and maybe a half cup of water. Then put the lid on and just let it simmer until the squash and onion are cooked through, stir it up and it's done! You can use just yellow squash or just zucchini put it's prettier if you use both. Sounds awful, tastes WONDERFUL! Even my nephew who turned up his nose at squash had FOUR helping of it the last time they came for dinner!

Lothlorien

Creamed onions? ~shiver~ Blech!

Mine is always the same thing each year. It works, so I don't change a thing!

Turkey
Sausage stuffing
Homemade cranberry sauce
Mashed taters
Mashed turnips (YUM) with lots of butter and a can of carrots
green beens
rolls

Dessert is usually pumpkin pie, cookies and whatever my family brings. My brother said he was going to make pumpkin cheesecake. He's a chef at a Greek restaraunt, so who knows what else he'll bring.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Lisa, did I miss the recipe for pumpkin bread?

ktbug & I are baking breads this weekend to take down to my dad's for T'giving day. I'd like to put together a pumpkin bread, a cranberry bread & one other tho for the life of me I don't know what yet.

Our family has 3 turkeys each year to feed the ever expanding crew. One will be grilled, another in the oven & baby bro fries one. The usual stuffing to go, along with candied yams, custard corn casserole, green bean casserole, home made dinner rolls, cranberry sauce. Pumpkin pie, apple pie, pecan pie (I bake that one), one cake for the grand nieces & nephews who aren't pie fans & I think kt is planning on baking a pumpkin cheesecake.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Linda, no dear you didn't miss the recipe. I'll have easy child send it to me and I'll copy / paste it here. But you've been warned.....once you take a bite it's almost impossible to stop eating it. lol

Three turkeys?? Holy Moly! If my family gets that big I'm retiring as matriarch. :rofl:

busywend

OK - I am only doing 2 turkeys....so I feel better about it (not!). Yes, I have the privilege of providing a lovely Tday to 28 people! If I can! Good thing the new house has 2 kitchens in it!

Menu:
Turkey (2)
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potato casserole
Lasagna
Ham
Green bean casserole
Stuffing
Gravy
Cranberry goo - yuck!
Olives & gerkins (husband tradition)
Oh yeah - and Tomato Juice!

Several pies and cookies for dessert!

Wish me luck!

DDD - I love asparagus. I literally just put it on a baking sheet, drizzle EVOO, salt & pepper to taste, throw it in the oven until the oil sizzles......my entire family loves it and it is soooo simple!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
28 people wow! Lots of luck.

What is EVOO? I like asparagus as does Nichole's family......I think Travis does too.

I seem to recall krogers having asparagus on sale. :)

shellyd67

I am preparing:

Roasted Turkey and gravy
Potato bread sage stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Broccoli casserole
Green Bean casserole
White shoepeg corn
Cranberry Sauce
Coleslaw
Deviled eggs
Rolls

Pumpkin pie
icebox cake
chocolate pie
french vanilla ice cream
whipped cream

busywend

Thanks, Trinity! That is right. That is what Rachel Ray calls it! LOL!

Any idea how many pounds of potatoes I should do for mashed potatoes? I am thinking like 20 pounds....am I way off there?

trinityroyal

For 28 people? I think 20 to 25 lbs of potatoes will be just the right amount. Also, if you want leftovers for things like Shepherd's Pie later add 2 to 3 lbs extra.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Oh sure........ I see EVERYONE wants to go on to that new gals place so yall jus' go to Numbs house........Ya'lls invited down the the Ranch......but I see we ain't got no takers. And it's SKWIRREL thank you very much. Tree'd em today they did.

(said in mocking super- sarcastic immitating uppity jealous voice)

'We don't have a crystal punch bowl for our Wassail' but I got a bucket I'm wrapping with TIN foil fer dippin our drinks out of.
:groan:

H

HaoZi

Xmas dinner a Tday do over? Not here. I ask Kiddo what she wants, and the last few years the answer has been pepperoni pizza. What's the bet we have pizza again this year?

Star*

call 911........call 911
You and kiddo can come on down and have .......Skwirrrrrrrel.........:sorrysmiley:we aint gots no pupparoni.