Thanksgiving--What Are You Doing?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I am going, with my mother, to sister and new brother in law's place. I also got volunteered to "make the green bean casserole that's on the soup can and Durkee canned fried onions, and DON'T get creative!"

Since I've A: never made that specific green bean casserole, and B: never cooked with canned cream soups, I don't plan on being creative. I'll just pick up the beans, the soup, the fried onions, and whatever else the recipe calls for, and make the fool casserole.

I am hoping that sister is sober; know that brother in law will be stoned out of his gourd, and am hoping alcoholic brother of brother in law (is he my brother in law, too?) who lives there, will behave himself.

On a lesser scale, I am hoping the casserole is edible. Frankly, I'd be a lot more comfortable cooking the turkey!

InsaneCdn

GN, I get it. I hate it when someone dictates what part I "get" to bring. I have things I can do well, but I don't tend to do "new" stuff well, and I hate it when it doesn't work.

pasajes4

I will not "celebrate" in the traditional turkey day festivities. I will share my day with many four legged babies at a canine rescue facility. This will allow these wonderful individuals an opportunity to be with their families. My older two will be spending the day with their spouses families. My youngest will do whatever it is he does these days. I will join another detached friend for a movie ( Hunger Games) in the evening. We will return to her home and enjoy a glass of wine and some nibbles. I would say that it promises to be a full and very enjoyable day minus the headache of cooking for a gaggle of people.

KTMom91

My birthday falls on Thanksgiving this year, and we're having lunch at my mom's. I'm making roasted veggies, something new this year, so we'll see how it goes. Then the plan is to go out shopping/people watching in the evening. After 10+ years of working retail, I can't stay away from the Christmas energy. I'll probably be out Christmas Eve and the day after Christmas, too.

Lil

I promised our son that he and the girlfriend will be having Thanksgiving with us...after which I imagine a good portion of left-overs will go home with them. :) Jabber may be working, in which case there will be a big turkey dinner for the three of us. I will be doing the whole thing and I'm doing turkey - whether my son and his girlfriend like it or not! I made ham last year, because our son likes it and isn't a huge turkey fan, but I LOVE turkey and last year I'm not even sure he came.

Sunday after is the "family" Thanksgiving with Jabber's family - without the kid. I'm drafted to make pies. Works for me. Pie is easy!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
IC, I don't mind trying new stuff at all. It's just that I can think of several tastier things to do with green beans that have nothing to do with canned cream soup, and would be healthier, too.

Overall, I'm not fond of "creamed" veggies, and I don't like the canned creamed soups made up as soups, if only because they are horribly salty, so I guess I'm sort of predisposed to dislike this dish.

I didn't appreciate my mother's dig about "being creative" either, especially as she won't even be eating the casserole as she hates green beans.

Mother got tagged to bring the pies, which she is handling by ordering two pies from a restaurant known for its pies.

I don't mind being asked to bring a dish, but I do prefer knowing what the menu is, being asked to bring a "class" of dish (dessert, etc) and being able to choose what to bring within those parameters.

Oh well, part of this is probably colored by my general opinion of my brother in law, my sister's situation, including the marriage, and various other things.

I am not looking forward to the holiday this year at all.

BusynMember

Probably my house with some relatives, but possibly sneak out after they are gone to go to my daughter's boyfriend's parents house for second helpings :) Sorry we can't go to Chicago to see Princess and Buddha Baby, but that will be Christmas...we will ALL go in!

Wiped Out

Staff member
This will be the first time in 24 years I will not be hosting Thanksgiving. We moved in April to a smaller house and it would be difficult to host. easy child/difficult child is 6 hurs away at college and will be going to my sister's which is only an hour from her college.

husband, difficult child, and I will go to Michigan to our niece's house since that Saturday we will be going to the Michigan v. Ohio State game.

I am very much looking forward to the change in plans but will definitely be missing easy child/difficult child.

Kathy813

Staff member
My husband and I will be going to Colorado for the week to visit our younger daughter who is in grad school there. We are going to have Thanksgiving dinner at The Stanley hotel which was the inspiration for Steven King's The Shining. It is supposed to be one of the most haunted hotels in America. We are also going to take a tour of the hotel.

It sure will be a different kind of Thanksgiving!

We plan on going to see difficult child in south Florida the week after Christmas. Talk about temperature extremes.

~Kathy

Californiablonde

We will be going to my mom's as usual. There will be my brother, sister and law, uncle, paternal aunt and grandmother. Perhaps there will be my niece, nephew, and cousin who will drop by late for dessert. My mom usually asks me to bring something simple like rolls or a pie so I don't have to cook. Thank goodness, because my cooking, according to my kids, isn't the greatest. I am just happy to be having 5 full days of no work and no phone calls! Our Thanksgiving break starts next Wednesday, and I can't wait!

PatriotsGirl

The Shining is my husband's favorite!

We will be ordering a Honey Baked ham since no one but me likes turkey. :) M and Connor are coming home on Sunday so they will be here!! YAY!! We will be eating dinner early because we usually do black Friday. This will actually be the first year that M gets to do it with us and she is so excited. My son has volunteered to babysit Connor so we can all go. husband has recently gotten into it - he thinks of it as a sport like I do...lol.

The day after we set up all of our Christmas decorations...Connor will really love it this year!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I much prefer ham to turkey, but given the cultural makeup of my family, turkey it is.

Chanukka is early this year, so will barely have enough time to recover from Thanksgiving before ramping up for Channuka.

We don't really do the religious stuff, just the traditional foods. Most of us are atheist/agnostic/humanist these days, and new brother in law is what I would describe as a militant atheist. He offends me and *I'm* an atheist.

Then, right after Channuka is BFF's birthday, and if her health is good enough, we will be celebrating that, probably with carry out food from Famous Dave's rib place, carried out to my place, which means i have to turn my dining table from an office back into a dining table.

Kathy813

Staff member
Kathy, how exciting to be going to The Stanley! I've wanted to do that for ages. I'm a huge fan of The Shining.

I haven't read that book in ages. I going to order it for my Kindle and read it again. It will give me something to do on the plane.

I will report back after Thanksgiving.:thanksgiving11:

~Kathy

Lil

I mentioned Thanksgiving to my son yesterday and turkey - he said, "No. Ham." :rolleyes: Yeah, no. I've had a turkey in the freezer for about a year now and it needs cooked. I am not buying a ham just because he prefers it. I told him so and that he'd eat turkey and like it and take leftovers home! He agreed that sounded good. lol:p

Kathy813

Staff member
Well, here is the update on the Stanley hotel . . .

We didn't get to go! It snowed the night before and all day on Thanksgiving. Where my daughter lives only got 3 inches but Estes Park was expected to get up to 8 inches. The road between her apartment and the Stanley is a twisty, winding, steep 2000 feet climb with no cell phone reception. We decided it wasn't worth taking any chances so we had to cancel our reservations.

We did get to see the outside of the hotel the day before when we drove up to the Rocky Mountain National Park and it is beautiful. Hopefully we can visit someday in the future.

So we ended up at Cracker Barrel. At least we saved a lot of money.

~Kathy

New Leaf

Awww, shucks, oh well, better safe than sorry.

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving with your daughter Kathy.

leafy