That film on the inside of the windshield...

Sara PA

That whitish stuff that makes you think the window needs defrosting all the time? The stuff that is so hard to get off even with a good cleaner and even then the window is all streaky at night?

I got it all off with no streaks.

I wiped the window with a paper towel saturated with an equal mix of rubbing alcohol and white vinegar. I dried what was left (the alcohol evaporates quickly) with another paper towel. Fast, cheap, all clear, no streaks.

It probably took me longer to type this than to clean the window.

FWIW, I use that mix for all sorts of things from cleaning my glasses to preventing swimmer's ear.

Lothlorien

Vinegar gets soap scum off the tub, too. I use vinegar to clean lots of stuff.

Now, the one mistake you made, was that you used paper towels. That's probably where you got the whitish streaky stuff in the first place. The glue in the paper towels leaves the film on glass and mirrors. The best thing to use is a lint free cloth. I use old cloth diapers to clean my windows.

Sara PA

No, the whitish stuff is from a film that comes from the vinyl used to make dashboards. It's hard to remove, thus the streaking. Trust me, I don't clean my windshield enough to get any film that might come from paper towels. If it wasn't for that whitish vinyl film I might not ever clean the inside of my windows.

susiestar

Roll With It
I LOVE old diapers for cleaning. Old flour sack towels are greaqt too. I just got about 2 DOZEN for $4 at an estate tag sale. The flour sack towels are awesome. I put some aside to wrap Christmas gifts in because they even have great embroidery on them!!

I will use this mix. I use a mix of ammonia, dish soap and vinegar to clean floors, tubs, etc.

And if you grind up a bar of soap (your choice) and mix it with 2 cups borax and 2 cups WASHING soda (not baking - you can find this at IGAs in the laundry aisle) you get a great laundry detergent that is gentle, great if you have someone with skin problems, and you only use 2 Tablespoons for a X-large load in my hard as nails well water!!

Marguerite

Sara, a good mix. I'm told newspaper is good for cleaning glass.

husband told me years ago that it was the plastics used inside the car that outgassed and then condensed inside the windows, that causes this effect. It's not just the dashboard, it's the upholstery as well. They're loaded with plasticisers. It makes you think - if that stuff is condensing on the windows, what are we breathing in?

You know that "new car smell" that people love? Guess what it is?

Generally the problem eases as the car gets older.

Marg

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sara,

Thanks for the tip! Are the portions half rubbing alcohol & half vinegar? I know my mother used to make this up; I know that I have the directions somewhere here in her handwriting.

Think I can find it?

Marg, I heard the newspaper thing; in fact, have watched my mother do her windows with it.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Thanks Sara - I am going to try it on my car's windowshield, it's awful right now and I have always wondered how the heck it gets like that! Now I know.

Marg, the new car smell quickly turns into "old food, candy wrapper, occasional smoke, sneakers and discarded clothing-smell" real fast at my house!! Air fresheners don't even work anymore and my car is only 4 years old! The upholstery needs a good shampooing I think. Maybe before winter hits I will get this done. Ugh.

ScentofCedar

Hmmm....

I use a rubbing alcohol/liquid dish detergent solution to clean the windows in the house. Just a drop or two of detergent in a bowl of water and about a third a bottle of rubbing alcohol.

No streaks.

On the big windows, I use a sponge mop to wash the windows and a squeegee.

Easy and no streaks.

I never thought to use vinegar.

I will add that, too.

Although I DO use apple cider vinegar for indigestion ~ and the results are incredible.

Thanks, Sara.

Also wanted to add that straight rubbing alcohol on faucets, microwaves, appliance surfaces will remove fingerprints and dry without streaking on those so hard to clean surfaces. I keep a bottle in the bathroom vanity just for touching up the mirror and faucets.

Also, straight rubbing alcohol will sometimes work on an oil based stain that detergent will not remove.

Test a small area for color fastness first.

Barbara