The Anti-Christmas, Part II, or...

witzend

...How gullible am I?

The last we spoke of Christmas, it was Thanksgiving. M was fine with no gifts, and understood that if he needed something he was to ask, otherwise there would be nothing.

L said she wasn't doing Christmas at her house, when asked. But her half sister said they were doing Christmas at her house. No biggie.

husband and I decided to go see Sherlock Holmes on the 25th.

So, M's cell has been turned off a number of times. I looked up how much it would cost to get him on our plan, and it's only $10 a month, and I can limit his minutes. I'm going to have to think about the texting question... So, the other night he gets back to me by Facebook and says "No, I think I'll wait on a phone. I'm too busy for it. And we'll wait to see how my grades are." Huh?

L calls today. Are we doing Christmas at my house? No. What do you want to do mom? What do you have planned, L? "Nothing. I told you I wasn't doing anything when I saw you on Thanksgiving." Hmm... That's what I said too. husband said you and your sister were doing something at her house. "That's for her side of the family. And it's not on Christmas, anyway. We drew names for gifts." OK. "Well, what are we going to do?" I'm busy dear, I'll have to talk to you about this later.

So, I confirmed with husband, we're not doing anything Christmas except maybe a movie. I might put something in a crockpot. We told L that we weren't going to do anything or any gifts.

Then M calls to tell me about his classes - he's doing well - and wants to know what cell provider I have. Lots of beating around the bush. Mind you, I'm at work. He mentions his grades, and how it would be easier to find work if he had a car. I'm not buying him a car. I didn't even learn to drive until I was 25 years old. And he can't afford insurance or gas or upkeep.

I'm happy to do the movie and crockpot with husband. M hates everything cooked in the crockpot. Or at least he did. Maybe he's hungry enough to eat most anything these days?

More than that, will I be strong enough to limit it to a movie and a crockpot and if no one else likes that they can either plan something else and invite us or they don't have to come and I can just enjoy my day?

Humbug!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Me thinks they believed you were bluffing. ugh!

Do what you had planned and ignore them. You told them. It was up to them to listen. They are no longer children. They'll get over it.

Ohhhh, I wonder if I can get husband to take me to Sherlock Holmes on xmas! It really looks good. And since I'm not doing xmas either.......easy child is doing it.....I dunno even if it will actually be on xmas. lol

Enjoy xmas the way you want to. It's YOUR holiday too.

Hugs

trinityroyal

Witz, I say stick to your guns and enjoy your day, your way.
You told L and M about your anti-Christmas plans at Thanksgiving. I think it's extremely disrespectful of them not to take you at your word.

Enjoy the movie. And a crock pot dinner sounds lovely.

Trinity

DammitJanet

We wont be doing Xmas on Xmas either this year. Im sure we will have something nice on that day like maybe steaks on the grill but we will save the ham with fixings for the day after when Keyana comes. We are getting her from the 26th on so we will do the major holiday stuff then. We will have her things waiting for her here and say Santa came here while she was gone and let her open all her presents when she arrives...lol.

Now the older folks will either have already got their stuff or know what they are getting so its no surprise. Cory already has his, Im still not sure what Im getting Billy, I am taking Hailie and Mikey's stuff up when we go up to VA over NYE, and Tony knows what he is getting.

No kidding! I'm watching the siding blow off my house as I type. Christmas bows are hanging on though. Go figure. Repair guy coming tomorrow I hope.

Weird how little it bothers me, sitting here watching my house blow away.... At least the windstorm is outside instead of inside these days. The damage I'm seeing in progress can be fixed so much more quickly and inexpensively than chasing the issues of a difficult child....

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
A while back I posted about this... I made the decision we would only do one or two gifts for everyone...

And no one else likes my idea.

I got two things each for Onyxx and Jett. ONE for husband. One for Mom, one from kids (2), same for Dad. One for mother in law. husband says he is taking care of father in law.

The grandparents keep emailing me lists - LISTS - of what the kids are getting.

I asked all the adults to chip in and get me a laptop. That's all I wanted.

Dad threw a fit, said I should ask for things I need.

That's what I did LAST YEAR (needed tires, crock pot, griddle). And I could really use a new computer. Mine at home has been chugging along, last upgrade was in January 2006. The only reason it runs better than any other in the house is - GASP! - I am the only one who uses it and that, rarely! I do not let the kids play on it. So no viruses and spyware. And I am not on it constantly.

I want a winning lottery ticket, too, but I'm not going to hold my breath! (Pass out, start breathing again... Whee.)

Sorry I think I just hijacked your thread. However - Crock Pot sounds lovely. Since Jett won't be back till 26th, I think I'll do the same!

mstang67chic

Going Green
Do not, I repeat, do NOT let anyone guilt or bully you into doing other than what you have planned. You TOLD them....it's their own fault if they didn't believe you. Personally, a movie and crock pot dinner sounds fabulous! I think for the first time EVER, husband, difficult child and I don't have anywhere to be on Christmas day and I'm thinking a movie sounds great!

husband will probably ask me to fix a ham but I'm now on a crock pot kick. I'm thinking a good roast sounds yummy! Besides.....after step mom told me to put the 6 qt crock pot back on the shelf when I was shopping....I am fairly sure I'll have a big enough one to cook a decent size roast! LOL

Do what YOU want to do and don't let anyone else tell you different!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Yep, Yep, Yep! Like the others have said, STAY STRONG, WITZ! It's their problem if they didn't believe you.

Besides, I might go see Sherlock on Christmas and I'll want someone to talk about it with. :)

Hugs,
Suz

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Stang a crockpotted ham is awfully good! :D

There will be no gifts for grown kids this year. There is just no way I can squeeze that much money out of our almost non-existant budget. I'm going to be pushing my luck to get the grandkids all something...and it won't be expensive by any means. Plus I promised easy child I'd get hats and gloves for the family she's buying xmas for this year.

Hang tough Witz. You've earned having xmas the way you want it.

Hugs

M

ML

Witz stick to your guns or you'll wind up feeling resentful. Also, no one will take you seriously next time you assert yourself. You can do this girl!

DazedandConfused

After reading part I and then this, I'm flabbergasted.

You enjoy your quiet day, your meal, and your movie.

Good grief, they're adults.

Ya hear me? :)