The "At Night I can't sleep Cough"

DDD

I'm up a little early but last night was better than the night before. Thanks for the suggestions and the sympathy for a whiner, lol. Janet, lol, it's a good thing I don't have medications available like that. It would be embarrassing for the family to have a "using Mod" for the S.A. forum.

What I didn't share yesterday is that coincidentally I am trying to quit smoking again. My husband announced last week "I
am going to give up my cigars". He has eight days under his belt. I, on the other hand, haven't gone one day with-o a cigarette but
instead of a pack a day I am less than a half pack down since Sunday. Maybe God sent this bug my way as a major reminder that smoking is a Bozo No No. One day at a time. DDD:hangin:

buddy

Wow DDD that is a lot to have cut down. My mom just is getting over a terrible bronchitis bout and she too is a smoker. they had to put her on a nebulizer this time. She couldn't catch her breath. She actually was afraid to smoke and didn't for several days. She has smoked for over 50 years! I wish it meant she would quit because every time she gets sick now with a cold it goes like this, she gets very very ill every single time. no such thing as a common cold for her anymore.

I sure hope you continue to improve and feel better soon! Keep up the good work on the smokes, even a reduction is HUGE.

DDD

Thanks for the encouragement. I quit for twelve years and then "had one" two years ago...dumb! The problem this time is that I am not psyched to stop. It's a "tag along" effort to support husband. on the other hand it obviously is not a nicotene addiction as much as an emotional response addiction. Fingers crossed. DDD

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
DDD - when I quit, and it was cold turkey both times - I had a lingering cough, worse than when I smoked, especially when lying down or in the shower - for a couple months. It's only recently stopped this time... And I quit in January. Dry, annoying, non-productive...

Time was the only thing that worked.

Star*

call 911........call 911
My Great Aunt used to say as she wafted her hands through the men outside smoking cigarettes - "If God wanted us to smoke he wouldn't have died on the cross for our sins." Took me years to figure she had a dual meaning in that statement.

Hope you are feeling better. ROFL at the BOZO nono. Still chuckling. I should know better than to drink coffee and read your self assessments :too funny.

susiestar

Roll With It
We have had years of this from the males in my family. First of all, get an albuterol inhaler. This CAN be cough variant asthma. Even if it isn't, the inhaler will make your lungs work better and every little bit helps.

I would go at this from several different directions. First, the humidifier or a great big pan of water on the stove on low heat. THis will help.

Cough medications are not one size fits all. You need the right medication for the problem. You NEED mucinex. Either splurge for the expensive brand name that will work for 12 hours OR go for the instant relief generic/house brand (active ingredient guifenasin) and take it every 4-6 hours. This is the active ingredient in plain robitussin also, and it is fine to use that if you like that version. Guifenasin will make your mucus not sticky, so it is easier to cough up and it won't feel like it is taking a chunk of lung up with it

next you should consider an antihistamine. Benadryl is actually still the most effective, so if it doesn't knock you out too much then go for it because it is cheap, will help you sleep AND will handle nausea - it is actually almost as effective as phenergan for nausea and more effective than zofran for many people. It is fine to use claritin or zyrtex or allegra or whatever works for you. The antihistamine will help keep your body from making as much new mucus and will dry things up.

A decongestant may be needed (pseudoephedrine is still the best but the OTC stuff labeled PE works for some people) esp if what you are coughing up is very thick. It is common to need an expectorant (guifenasin), an antihistamine and a decongestant with any respiratory infection/problem.

A cough suppressant should be taken at night. If you don't cough or the cough is not bad enough to interfere with work, try not to take it during the day. The cough won't truly go away until all the gunk is out of your lungs, so if you take the cough suppressant all day and all night then you will have the cough a lot longer. The best cough suppressant is still alcohol, so if you drink, add some whiskey to your hot tea with lemon and honey. It truly will help.

If you don't drink alcohol, then go for the dextromethorphan. It is in the Robitussin DM, most medications with DM and in Delsym. Delsym is a slightly different formulation that lasts for 8-12 hours instead of 4-6, so it is helpful at night. robitussin also has a cough gel that lasts about 8 hours and it is most effective for thank you and husband when they get a cough.

Consider a sore throat lozenge. Sometimes the cough is more of a reflex and the medications in sore throat lozenges or spray will numb that area a little bit so it suppresses the reflex just a bit.

Put a hot rice bag or heating pad on your chest if you can stand it. It helps to relax the muscles and keeping your lungs warm really does help.

I know these are a lot of different medications, but try to NOT buy combination medications. Esp pay attention to ones with tylenol in them because you just can't take any extra of that. Also avoid tylenol if you are using whiskey at the same time.

A good thing is that if you buy the house brands it actually is cheaper to get the individual types of medications and take just the ones you need. The initial outlay is more but you only take the medication you need for the symptoms you are having.

I would also start taking prilosec every day. GERD can cause this cough and we have heard this from the allergy doctor, the family care doctor, the lung doctor, the stomach doctor and the pediatrician. It is perfectly safe to take prilosec for 2 weeks and this may help the cough greatly.

I hope this goes away soon! Sleeping propped up or on a recliner is a big help too.

Malika

Wow DDD that is a lot to have cut down. My mom just is getting over a terrible bronchitis bout and she too is a smoker. they had to put her on a nebulizer this time. She couldn't catch her breath. She actually was afraid to smoke and didn't for several days. She has smoked for over 50 years! I wish it meant she would quit because every time she gets sick now with a cold it goes like this, she gets very very ill every single time. no such thing as a common cold for her anymore.

I sure hope you continue to improve and feel better soon! Keep up the good work on the smokes, even a reduction is HUGE.

Wow, that's an encouragement to give up... As an asthma sufferer (and ex smoker), I know that not being able to breathe is... not pleasant. Hope your mom makes it, buddy. And you too DDD :)

DDD

Susie :bloodshot:"if you don't drink alcohol"........:bigsmile: well, I certainly don't drink rubbing alcohol. It might put an end to my coughing however.

I called the Dr's office and my xrays were clear, I should "expect to feel better by tomorrow" and Robitussin is the cough syrup of choice. by the way, difficult child#1 came to the store bringing me his inhaler. Sweet little (actually big) brat. He went home to make me "his special egg salad" and "his sweet tea" so I won't have to cook. AND he is emptying the dishwasher so I don't have to bend over. That's my former easy child/difficult child. :)

susiestar

Roll With It
Ugh, don't drink rubbing alcohol!! I said it because I don't know who all here drinks and who doesn't. rubbing alcohol is BAD for you and the taste is so horrible according to gfgbro.

difficult child 1 is a sweetie to do all that for you.

Lothlorien

I can empathize with you. I am just getting over brochitis. I just spend three days this week on the couch, propped up by pillows. I had a fever (which is extremely rare for me) and headaches from coughing so much.

Hyland's Sinus is the best for sinus problems, so during the day I took that. When the cough started to get bad at night, I took Hyland's Hepar Sulph Calc. 30x. It works wonders. Both are found in a health food store or online. If you have high blood pressure, you can't take decongestant's, but the Hyland's Sinus works without interfering with blood pressure medications. husband can take it when he's sick and it clears him up without affecting his blood pressure.

DDD

Susie.....I was making a lame attempt at humor, lol. I'm sticking with my scotch in moderation.

Loth what specifically does that calc do? Make you feel better in general or actually stifle the cough or ?? I'm not sure if the health food store is still open in town or if it folded. I am sick of finally getting into a deeper level of sleep and then COUGH. It's like going from zero to sixty in a split second. The bedroom is peaceful, husband is softly snoring, Ace is curled up looking like Bambi and BOOM I pop up to sit on the side of the bed to cough. husband picks up his head and looks at me. Ace jumps to full alert mode and then comes to either console me (or to be consoled because I scared him) while I hang my head between my knees hoping gravity will help me expectorate. Happiness is not having a big fat boxer head resting on the top of your human head while attempting to cough.

Here I go whining again. Sorry. DDD

Lothlorien

The Hepar Sulph Calcarea helps with the cough and the post nasal drip/runny nose.

Tessalon is a good medication for cough, tho I find doctors aren't as happy about prescribing it. I think it has a narcotic, but when I'm coughing like crazy, I certainly don't feel any narcotic effect from it. Since the docs don't prescribe it unless you are hacking a lung up in front of them, I stick with the all natural stuff as much as I can.

If you can't find it, I find the next best thing is Dextromethorphan, which is the "DM" in the medications. Usually mixed with Guafenesin - an expectorant. Robitussin has both or a store brand is just as effective.