The beauty of snow

Kathy813

Staff member
Okay, I know for most of my fellow CD members, snow is just a big pain in the neck. However, for those of us in the south who rarely get to see snow, it always takes my breath away.

As I am sitting in my classroom typing this post, I can look out my window and see the snow falling. I wish you could all see the wonder in my students' eyes as they look out at the snow. Big burly football players run to the window in excitement. Of course, all they can think about is if we are going to get to go home early. I don't stand chance getting their attention back to logarithms. So I am sitting her playing the song Let It Snow through the projection system and we are all enjoying the wonder of it all.

Since we are expecting 1 - 2 inches (yes . . . inches not feet), we probably will be let out early and school will probably be closed tomorrow.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow . . .

~Kathy

Wiped Out

Staff member
Love it!! Every year at the first couple of snowfalls I see that same wonderment in my 4th and 5th graders. I feel it as well. It's just that after that I am done!!

Nancy

Kathy my easy child is so bored at home, they have had seven snow days already and tomorrow will be eight. She wants so badly to get back into the classroom and fears her students are falling so far behind. Having said that I couldn't help but smile at your football players' excitement.

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app

tiredmommy

So, Kathy, you're home safely now? I know your area doesn't have much in the way of road equipment or salt so I hope you get to watch the rest of the storm from the safety and comfort of your home.

Kathy813

Staff member
Well, harsh reality is setting in. The roads are a mess and it hit right at rush hour. My easy child called me and it is taking her 2 hours to make a usual 25 minute commute. She said she is terrified because her car slid all over one of the bridges she has to cross and she still has one more bridge to go.

Of course, now I am worried about her. I'll be glad when I get the call that she is home.

Kathy813

Staff member
TM, we posted at the same time. I only live two miles from my school so I had no problem getting home. My husband is at the grocery store because we got caught flat footed and don't have any groceries in the house. The storm was supposed to actually hit further south and we were only expecting a dusting but we already are at 2 inches and counting.

While that doesn't sound like anything to most of you, we don't have any snow clearing equipment and aren't used to driving in snow.

Even worse, we are supposed to get down to 16 degrees tonight so the roads will become sheets of ice.

Thanks for checking on me.

~Kathy

Last edited:

busywend

My Regional Manager in Atlanta has gone 10 miles in 2 hours. Yikes!

But, it is amazingly beautiful isn't it?? I Love watching it at night with the backyard lights on and the fireplace going.

sent from mobile phone

Kathy813

Staff member
easy child is close to home but has been sitting at an intersection where she has to make a left turn for 45 minutes. No one is moving. She is getting very frustrated.

SuZir

I love snow. And we usually have it four to five months a year. It is beautiful. And winter sports and activities are amazing.

Of course I live so north that winter without snow would be unbearably dark. We still have way less than eight hours daylight and it is late January.

Nancy

Kathy years ago when husband and I both worked downtown, long before kids, we had a winer with some awful weather and it was nothing to have a 30 minute commute turn into 2 hours. One evening we sat in traffic for so long that many of us stopped our cars and went into a diner that we were stuck near and ate dinner, came out and cars hadn't moved at all.

Hope easy child gets home soon safely.

Last edited:

Kathy813

Staff member
easy child has now been on the road for over 4 hours. She is still half of a mile from her apartment complex. She is comtemplating parking her car in a shopping center and walking the rest of the way home. The problem is that she just wore a light jacket to school. She said she is so hungry that she is willing to be cold just to get home.

Kathy813

Staff member
easy child is home!! She was able to get close to her apartment complex and ended up parking her car and walking the rest of the way. She said she was taking a hot bath and getting into her pajamas and not moving for the next 24 hours. Her school system has already closed school for tomorrow.

I am still waiting to hear about mine. The school district that I work for is notorious about waiting until the last possible minute to make the announcement.

So everyone is safe and sound. difficult child just called and was surprised to hear about our snowstorm. She said she was jealous that she missed it. I told her easy child would tell her that she was lucky to be in sunny south Florida.

DammitJanet

Hey Kathy! I thought about you today while I was watching the weather on TV. You guys got hit hard. I dont understand why your school system even had school today considering you were in the path before us and our schools were closed. Last I saw on the tv, the roads (I 20 and I85) were parking lots and they said that some of the schools couldnt get buses out to get the kids home.

It didnt start here until mid afternoon and so far we are having a mixed bit of slop. Sleet and snow. They are now predicting from 2 to 5 inches here but that will have to mean it gets going...lol.

My dog, Abby, was freaking out when I put her on her chain during the day. She has never seen ice or snow before and it freaked her out. I dont imagine she will be asking to go out in the near future. Hope not because my front steps are a solid block of ice!

Kathy813

Staff member
Janet, the storm was predicted to stay south of the city of Atlanta. We live in a northern suburb. It was supposed to stay to the south of I-20 and then go up the coast to the Carolinas. Most of the schools on the south side of the city did close today but the northern school districts all stayed open.

The storm then moved farther north then expected and that is what caused all of these problems. Everyone left work and school at the same time to try to beat the storm and the roads just turned into a major gridlock.

My school district finally announced that they will be closed tomorrow due to the icy road conditions expected overnight and in the morning.

PatriotsGirl

I am in Chicago on business flying back to Atlanta tomorrow night - praying hard that my flight does not get canceled...I am really, really missing my family!!

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app

donna723

Janet, my daughter in Charleston said they could ice skate on their patio! Lots of sleet building up layers of ice on everything. She said it's supposed to keep on sleeting and snowing there till tomorrow afternoon.

Hopeless

....Hopeful Now
I like the look of snow....but with the hits we have been having this winter I am really ready for Spring!!!

Sent from my iPhone using ConductDisorders