The beauty of snow

DammitJanet

Well Tony is going in about an hour late. He is in Goose Creek for those who know the area. He doesnt have to cross any bridges thankfully. He is working on a Google server farm. He also is staying just 2 miles from the job.

I got up at about 5:30 to let my dog out and she is refusing to even step foot on my front steps...lol. I have put down puppy pads for her. The Mouse is now up and fascinated. Cory went out and got her a bucket of snow to play with. She doesnt understand what that frozen white stuff is!

Nancy

Kathy I am watching the news now about Atlanta, wow what a mess. In some ways we are lucky that we are usually prepared for this. Sometimes parents get mad because schools close and then it turns out not so bad but it's always better to be safe. Our schools called off Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday on Sunday so we knew far in advance. The ice is worse than the snow because you can't even go slow. I see a lot of people are blaming the mayor of Atlanta for now having a better plan.

I am so tired of people denying that there is climate change. One only has to look at what is happening to Atlanta and California to understand the crazyness. I think the South is going to have to start preparing for different weather conditions than they are use to.

I see you are closed today, hope you stay warm and the ice melts.

Kathy813

Staff member
Nancy, it is a huge mess. I'm just glad I am not stuck at school trying to keep teenage girls and boys apart. LOL There are schools all over the metro area that ended up with kids and teachers spending the night at their schools. I bet there are a lot of angry moms and dads out there.

It really is a catch-22 in a place like Atlanta when it comes to being prepared for storms. Should a lot of money be put into snow removal and sanding equipment only to have it sit idle for years at a time just so they have it when something like this happens? People complain about taxes and then they complain about not having services when they need them. They can't have it both ways.

~Kathy

Nancy

I know Kathy. I'm watching cnn and it's all about Atlanta. They interviewed a lot of teachers who were stuck in their schools all night. I just saw a teacher interviewer who spent the night on the highway and meet up with another lady who was stranded thru a Facebook page at up to help those stranded. Those roads are still a mess. There is no way you can plan for this kind of thing. But then people seem to want blame someone.

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app

Kathy813

Staff member
There is one report where teachers of special needs students that were stranded at school with their kids had to walk in the ice and cold to a Kroger pharmacy to get emergency prescriptions filled for their students with chronic conditions.

Principals said that they had no problem finding volunteers to stay with the stranded kids. Of course, the teachers will not get any compensation for what they did.

Things will get back to normal and then radio commentators will start blaming "government schools" for all of society's problems again.

by the way . . . my school district is closed again tomorrow. We will have to make it up at the end of the school year.

~Kathy

Nancy

Yeah I thought about that Kathy. Teachers here are pretty much scum of the earth according to a lot of people....until there s a school shooting and they shield the kids or there is a snow storm and they get their prescriptions and keep them safe all night. It makes me crazy.

Kathy813

Staff member
I am seeing a lot of online posts from northerners about the stupidity of southerners and their lack of ability to handle 2 inches of snow.

What they don't seem to understand is that the roads almost instantly iced over and that Atlanta is very hilly since it is in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains. I don't think anyone can drive on steep inclines and declines when they are sheets of ice.

Ironically, many of the problems were caused by the big semi's that couldn't handle the icy roads and ended up spinning out and blocking Interstate lanes and entrance and exit ramps. I'm sure many of those truck drivers where from up north.

Someone on another forum posted the following comment:

To the northern people cracking jokes....I lived 22 years in Illinois but there is nothing I've ever seen like this.

4 million people on the roads, in thick ice and snow, hills, curves, no smooth roads...oh did I mention they DON'T have salt trucks?

Part of that problem was that the roads were not pre-treated despite the winter storm warnings and the schools stayed open thinking that the storm would hit later than it did. Whose fault that was is going to be a great debate in days to come.

Nancy

Well Kathy I have found that there are a lot of people that are negative no matter what the subject is. most sane people understand how that could happen and just thank their lucky stars that it didn't happen here. Our news reports are very very sympathetic to you guys, we know how it can be sunny one minute and a tornado or blizzard the next.

tiredmommy

I'm just hoping that all are safe and that everything melts so that life gets back to normal down your way. Ice doesn't discriminate between northern or southern drivers.

DammitJanet

Our district is out another day. This will mean, if they open schools for Friday, that the kids here have gone 4 days out of the last two weeks!

I used to think we were sorta lame about snow but after learning more from people on here who consider 5 to 9 inches of snow a major snowfall, I dont think we need to feel so worthless. Yes I can say I would have closed Atlanta schools on Tuesday from the get go. I work on a better safe than sorry mode. Cant change it now though. I also would have been one of those people who either left work very early to go get my kids or I would have stayed late and figured out an alternate way home.

Oh and about northern folks knowing snow and ice so much better than we do. I was the first of my cousins to learn to drive in ice and snow. They all lived up near Boston and I lived in Richmond VA. They couldnt understand it...lol.

LittleDudesMom

Schools are out here again today too. difficult child had no school last week and went 2 days this week! Last week was supposed to be exam week but they rescheduled for this week beginning Tuesday with two a day through Friday. The first semester will probably end around Easter!!!! He's pretty happy…I told him he's had enough time off; he's going in to work with me today to work with the maintenance crew.

DammitJanet

Our schools have called off for Friday too now. That means they have gone a total of 3 days in two weeks. I may pick Monkey up early tomorrow to give her other grandma a break. She must be going stir crazy by now taking care of 3 kids...lol

Kathy813

Staff member
My school district is the ONLY one in metro Atlanta that had school today. Oh well, I guess I'll be glad at the end of the year when they don't have to add an additional day.

tiredmommy

We have parents flipping out here speculating just when the district will add days. I don't envy our superintendent and BOE.

svengandhi

There is NO beauty in snow, in my having lived in NY my entire life opinion. It's dangerous, you can die from and in it and it's ugly. Some days, like today, I really resent that my grandma hated my dad so much that she left our family behind when she took all the rest of my mom's siblings and their families to California.