The best part of Thanksgiving dinner...your choice

BusynMember

For me.......................

STUFFING!!!!!! :D

My kid is a chef and she makes the whole meal great, but her stuffing is out of this UNIVERSE.

I could just eat stuffing and nothing else and think I had a satisfying meal.

I can feel the pounds just rollllllllllllllllling on!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I can take or leave turkey other than the skin if that is nice and crispy. I've had good hams as well, but unlike turkey, ham doesn't freeze well at all.

I think the stuffing is my favorite so long as it isn't cooked inside the bird, and if you have a good gravy to pour over it.

With my family it is kind of funny. I and my brother in law are the only members who eat meat. He is an obligate carnivore; I'm perfectly happy to be a vegetarian for the holiday. We do our shopping and we pick up a ritual chicken breast for brother in law.

In the past, I've made a mini-holiday dinner with a Cornish Game Hen or a slice of ham. I still wind up with leftovers, but you can make sandwiches out of either, or meat salads and the like.

husband turned me onto 'post-holiday hash where you chop up and mix entree leftovers with left over stuffing and potatoes. You form it into patties and fry it up for breakfast the following day.

That's up on the list of favorites as well.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Mashed potatos and gravy. Possibly the best food ever!

You go, girl. I'm all over that. :D

Heck with the turkey. Give me some taters and green bean casserole. Toss in some hot buns (of eating kind, mind you) and I'm good.

I've recently acquired a taste for stuffing. Never used to like it. Dry...yuck. But mine is moist with lots of gravy. I stuffed a chicken yesterday and had the stuffing and gravy for breakfast at 1am before I went to work today. Yum, yum!!!

Abbey

TPaul

Idecor8
Well, lets see???? Eating it I believe, :laugh:

I like a dessert called millionare pie. It consist of crushed pineapple, eagle brand milk, pecans chopped. cool whip, lemon juice and a graham cracker crust. I make sure that one whole pie is made just for me to enjoy each holiday. Not all at one setting, though I could probably eat a whole one at one sitting if I did not control myself, lol lol!!!

Good cornbread dressing, not that blah bread dressing that some fix. (If you like bread dressing, do not take offense, :laugh:) and good dark meat.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I like the green bean casserole as well. Nothing fancy, just the one using Campbell's cream of mushroom soup and the Durkee fried onions.

My mother does a stovetop sauteed brussels sprout dish that is fabulous. It's a modification of all the ones out there that call for bacon. She's figured out how to do it in olive oil and it is darned tasty.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I love stuffing with good gravy! I make my mom's sausage stuffing, it is so good. MmmmMMmmMMMmm, good. I can take or leave everything else because, you know, you can have greens beans and mashed potatos any night of the week.

H loves creamed onions. Ick.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I like baby peas creamed with baby onions. Good stuff. We don't put meat in the stuffing. It's traditionally a bread stuffing, but husband and I used to make a cornbread stuffing that was excellent.

slsh

member since 1999
Mashed rutabagas - mixed up with- stuffing from in the bird, gravy, and green beans, best served the day after.

Excuse me... I'm drooling!! ;)

N

Nomad

My new daughter in law is making the green beans with- the onion rings. Durkee is the best? I have to pick up the Onion rings today. Do they come in a can? How many cans should I buy?

Also, please see my post about defrosting and cooking a recipe. I need recipes. HELP!

Thank you.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
The crispy onion rings come in a cardboard "can" from Durkee. The recipe is right on the can and will tell you how much you need of what based on number of servings.

I've tried a couple of "off" brands of the onions and in this case you've got to go with Durkee. The others are just too greasy and not worth the small savings.

If you like it and can get it affordably at this time of year, fresh asparagus tips are also wonderful in this.

I LOVE rutabagas. I used to make a puree of white potatoes, turnips, and leeks in equal amounts. It was yummy but took a lot of work. You can do this with celeriac (celery root) and parsnips as well.

They may be sort of an acquired taste, but I love the things.

DDD

The day after TDay is the best part for me. I have cold pumpkin pie for breakfast every year and pig out on turkey sandwiches with leftover deviled eggs, olives and stuffed celery ALL day Friday. It's my reward, lol, for preparing the meal on Thursday. DDD

DammitJanet

Im with TPaul...eating it! LOL.

I love the brussel sprouts with bacon..yummy. The green bean casserole. The sweet potatoes. Turkey and stuffing. The cranberry sauce. Pumpkin pie.

Ok...I guess I love it all!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Rutabagas? hmmm...have to try that. I don't think I've ever eaten one. I need a recipie.

I think why I never liked dressing the in past was my mom always put gizzards in it. Absolute yuck. I just use straight up bread pieces with sauteed onions and celery. Toss in a can of cream of chicken soup, salt and pepper...it comes out so moist. For left over dressing I add chicken broth as it doesn't get the bird's juices to keep it so moist.

I used to make a mean pumpking pie but have lost all interest in sweets these days. I'll take a bite, but that's about it.

Jo...creamed onions sound wonderful!! Need recipie.

It's weird. I like the flavor that meat/poultry bring to side dishes but not the actual meat. I remember as a kid only taking the wing of a turkey as it was crispy skin. That's kind of gross but we were required to take something of everything on the table. I'd sit there and naw on that thing getting no meat, but it made mum happy. Don't even get me started on the days that pop would catch fresh trout (YUCK) and we had to eat it. I chose the fried tail. ;)

Abbey

DammitJanet

We made 3 pecan pies, 2 chocolate chess pies, 2 pumpkin pies this past sunday. They are just waiting for Thursday in my fridge...lol.

muttmeister

I like it ALL!!!
This will be the first year in quite awhile we'll be home for Thanksgiving and I'm cooking. I love the stuffing. I make a kick-:censored2: squash casserole that everybody likes; I love
Brussels sprouts, and pumpkin pie is one of my favorites. So I will be back to diet TV dinners on Friday, but I'm going to pig out on Thursday.

witzend

Yams topped with a crust of pecans, brown sugar, butter and coconut. (The recipe is on the can.) I could just eat the whole thing. Oh, and turkey soup after.

KTMom91

Pacific Paragons. There was a restaurant inside a store in the mall when we lived in San Diego...the name of the store escapes me, but anyway...that served these. It's a turkey sandwich, with bacon, avocado, and blue cheese dressing. Yum.