The chaos that is my life.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I'm not sure why this strikes me as so funny, but it does. Maybe its the absurdity of it all.
difficult child 1's wife (daughter in law) called late Sunday to let me know she and the new baby were passing thru on their way to visit family on the east coast. She wanted to stop in and also to see difficult child 1's grandparents, if they could be around, and any other family. So we worked it out to meet at my ex-mother in law's house yesterday when they came thru.
Sunday night, I went to bed and had HORRIBLE dreams about the meeting. In my dream, difficult child 1 came too, driving his sports car, towing the burned out shell of his wife's old car on a trailer behind it. We met at the old folks' home. difficult child 1's bio-mom's sister was there and saw us, and she snuck outside and called his bio-mom, his bio-dad (DEX), and DEX's freaky girlfriend (the one that wants to "get" difficult child 2 and would not leave difficult child 1 alone, yet DEX is completely out of their lives...) Bio-mom, DEX, and freaky girlfriend showed up, and freaky girlfriend took off with the baby and difficult child 2. And somehow, it was all my fault!
So anyway...I woke up scared to death that by taking daughter in law there, with freaky girlfriend's tendency to show up, that freaky girlfriend may show up and that would NOT make difficult child 1 or daughter in law happy. So I asked daughter in law if she wanted to change it. She was ok with the risk, as freaky girlfriend's teen daughter has a new baby and hasn't been at exMIL's as much lately.
So, we met. daughter in law, me, exMIL and exFIL, my mom, my brother, difficult child 2, easy child 1's fiance, and difficult child 2's 2year old cousin, who was staying with exMIL for the afternoon. We had a GREAT visit. Truly enjoyed everyone. daughter in law and baby left and everyone followed. difficult child 2 wanted to stay at grandma's a bit with his cousin, so he stayed and I went home and did a couple things around home, then went into town. It hadn't been 15 minutes after daughter in law left, and I met freaky girlfriend...and she was headed to exMIL's. I grabbed the few things I needed in town and headed back to exMIL's. By then, baby cousin's mom (exSIL) was also there, as was freaky girlfriend and her teen daughter, and the new baby, who has the same name as easy child 1. Freaky girlfriend was irate that she had not been called that daughter in law was there. ExMIL was handling it, but it wasn't pleasant. ExSIL was just trying to get the heck out of Dodge, but when I showed up and freaky girlfriend's daughter showed me the baby, freaky girlfriend got thorougly ticked off and threw them all in the car and left in a huff, saying goodbye only to difficult child 2.
ExMIL was so flustered, she couldn't recall the baby's name when she tried to say she was glad freaky girlfriend, teen daughter, and baby left. I reminded her it was the same as easy child 1's name. ExSIL looked at me and asked if I was kidding. I said no. We all laughed and she just shook her head and said what a tangled web I have found myself in. Then exMIL said that she had told her they weren't here that long (which happens to be what I told Two Brooms as to why she wasn't called), and that it wasn't her place to have been there anyway. We had a few more laughs about it, and shortly after, exSIL left with baby cousin.
ExMIL, exFIL, and I went back to the house to get difficult child 2's things and go home. We ended up sitting at the table and having a 2 hour de-stress session, and it was so much fun. We laughed and I shared my dream with them, and we laughed some more. And come to find out, freaky girlfriend had come there to complain about DEX - he hasn't changed one bit since I was married to him - he drove over 3 hours to Bass Pro and Cabella's 2 or 3 times this weekend, spending several hundred dollars on each trip. So since he spent money, she was heading to the spa with teen daughter to spend some money, too (and money is something they don't have...). Freaky girlfriend and DEX have recently moved to "DEX's dream home" on a small acreage and apparently DEX isn't mowing the yard or doing anything he "dreamed" about, so she's now regretting the move. ExFIL and exMIL are seeing a split in the near future, which means DEX will try to come back to live in their barn, which is an old stable with a dressing room in it. So they said they'll have to work on destroying the dressing room so DEX can't live there. Then exMIL told exFIL about our "she was only here a short time" story that was told to Two Brooms and freaky girlfriend, and then exFIL went into family history and turns out he is very distantly related to Two Brooms, who is very distantly related to difficult child 1's bio mom! OMG, we were rolling.
difficult child and I left to come home. About 8:00, my phone rang and it was exMIL. She wanted to know if I would take the appliances from the dressing room in the barn and either use them myself or pass them on. I said sure. A bit later, exFIL called, he said if anyone asked, to just say they appliances are being "recycled" from an old home if someone wants to know where they came from. lol So at 10pm, easy child 1 and I went and loaded the appliances into the horse trailer and brought them home.
Like I said, maybe its not as funny as I think it is, but the whole situation IS absolutely absurd.
And all jokes aside, I am blessed to have exMIL and exFIL still "in" my family. Well, all my family and friends, really. Truly, truly blessed.

Last edited:

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh, one more thing to add...

While I was in this room hauling out appliances...I noticed that there were no pictures of the kids, but there was a shrine, of sorts, to one of the dogs DEX and I had. He was a hunting retriever that I had trained and field trialed and was a really awesome dog. There was a shelf with a shadow box with a photo of the dog, tags from some of the geese he'd retrieved, and ribbons from all of his hunt test wins.

Like his kids, DEX left the dog behind when he left, and never looked back to any of them. The dog died 2 years ago of congestive heart failure and just plain old age, DEX had never seen him again, despite having been offered the chance when I knew the end was near.

What I wouldn't give to understand that man's mind...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Hmm... Maybe...

Then again, in my case, I don't think understanding the batcave will help with the kids. Since neither of them are narcissistic sociopaths. As Stang put it, Onyxx is a "situational difficult child".