The cure sounds worse than the disease

I keep seeing ads for the quit-smoking drug, Chantix, where they go through a litany of possible side effects that sound horrific:
(From their website)

... agitation, hostility, depression, ... changes in behavior, thinking, or mood ... suicidal thoughts or actions, anxiety, panic, aggression, anger, mania, abnormal sensations, hallucinations, paranoia, ... confusion, serious skin reactions ... some of which can become life-threatening ... rash, swelling, redness, and peeling of the skin ... swelling of the face, mouth, and throat that can cause trouble breathing ... Nausea ... trouble sleeping, changes in dreaming ...
I don't know - could cold turkey be any worse?

DammitJanet

If you actually get the medication or read deeper into the possible effects or whatnot, it is even scarier. The endless possibility of things that this drug can do to you is downright scary. Everything from hangnails to heart attacks. The little paper is like 11x13 and the print is so fine you need a magnifying glass to read it and its on both sides! I read it...gulped...and took it for about two weeks. Then decided...I think I would rather smoke...lol. I know what the side effects of that are!

H

HaoZi

I asked my doctor for it, but because I have a history of acute depressive episodes he wouldn't put me on it. He put me on Wellbutrin instead, which does fine for depression in me but has never (and so far has still) not helped me quit in any way, shape, or form. *sigh*

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Most of those symptoms are also experienced from quitting cold turkey. Although doctor needs to know of any medical conditions and other medications you may be on to make sure it's ok.

I did great with it......and can't wait until I can afford to do it again. If I had any side effects they weren't noticable. Just wish it weren't so expensive and that more insurance plans would cover the cost.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
HaoZi

I tried welbutrin to quit once.............and literally came very close to commiting mass homicide. Me and welbutrin don't get along at all in any way shape or form. husband did use it for it and while he did quit for 3 months he finally got the ultimatum from me to either start smoking or I was filing for divorce, as I handed him a pack of smokes. He was meaner than a grizzly woke up from hibernation 24/7 and I just couldn't stand him one more minute. ugh

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I'm currently on Chantix. Let me tell you a little here...

Cold Turkey - stubborn as I am... Nope.
Nicotine gum - vomiting. Wrong answer.
Wellbutrin - homicidal, like Hound. Wrong answer.
Nicotine patches - nausea, bizarre dreams, waking hallucinations. Wrong answer.
Commit lozenges - severe, immediate vomiting. Wrong answer.
Chantix - mild nausea (one cracker handles it), more at first. At the end of the first week, I was smoking less than a pack a day - down from two or more. Without trying. End of week two, down to about 2 a day. End of week 3? NONE. Tapered off due to IVF medications, started again - about 2 a day, occasionally 3. Harder when stressed. Started taking it again, half dose. Waited a couple more weeks, then tapered off - not smoking at all, down to 1/4 dose.

Worst part? Anxiety... Can't tell if it belongs to quitting, or to Chantix, but it's gone now. Had some problems sleeping while on the full dose. A tad bit of depression, but life's been a bit stressful. Better now. Honestly, most of those side effects can also be attributed to quitting. It's all in what you can handle. Obviously, nicotine replacement and Wellbutrin were bad, for me.

It's pretty expensive, too. But I've bought so many less packs of cigarettes, it's been worth it.