The Departed

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I love movies. I always have. At one point I had over 1500 tapes in my private collection. I've seen "An Officer and a Gentleman" 105 times. I am agog at the talent and brilliance and magic that is portrayed on the screen.

But I just walked out of "The Departed."

sheesh. I lasted maybe 45 minutes of a 2.5 hour movie.

I was so distracted by the language and violence that I had my face covered more than I was watching.

But this post isn't a diatribe about that. This post is just a request that someone who can/could stomach the movie please PM me and tell me what happens in the end.

Thanks.

Suz

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Thanks, Donna.

Nomad, you can check out the Oscar nominations at http://oscars.com/ .

I haven't missed an Oscars presentation since I was 14 years old. My 85 year old across the street neighbor and I wanted to see the movies that are nominated for best picture. Last week we saw The Queen (FABULOUS) and this week was The Departed . We can't even find Little Miss Sunshine or Babel showing around here so I guess we'll have to travel a bit farther to see them. I have no interest in seeing Letters from Iwo Jima even though my Dad was there for real in WWII.

I was so annoyed watching Helen Mirren win another award at the Golden Globes for The Queen until I saw the movie and understood why. She is amazing.

We went to see The Holiday a few weeks ago and had fun. It's fluff but fun fluff (and no, it's not nominated for anything except maybe Jude Law rivaling Richard Gere for my affections- ooooh honey! :blush:) My neighbor saw The Pursuit of Happyness and enjoyed it but I haven't seen it.

I haven't heard of the movie you mentioned. Who's in it?

So we will press on and hope for something more entertaining next time...

Suz

donna723

Nomad, "The Departed" was actually a very good movie. Really good storyline and a SUPER cast. The problem was that it is also EXTREMELY graphic, EXTREMELY violent and bloody, with lots and lots of profanity. It's like what's on "The Sopranos", only times ten! I'd like it if there was a "cleaned up" version.

These usually aren't my favorite type of movies, but I go every year with my son on his birthday and that's what he wanted to see this year. And even he said that it didn't need to be that long - 2-1/2 hours is a long time to sit in a movie theater! Every time we thought it was almost over, it wasn't! Towards the end, we both needed to use the bathroom really bad but didn't want to go because we were afraid we'd miss something important. For anybody who sees it, I'd suggest that you pee before you go in, then drink as little as possible during the movie!

DammitJanet

Suz...just wondering why you dont want to see Letters from Iwo Jima? I read Flags of Our Fathers and now want to rent the movie. Then I will see the Letters movie. My dad wasnt on Iwo but was in the south pacific and I had an Uncle on Iwo.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Nomad, The Holiday is <u>definitely</u> a chick flick. My ex was good about humoring me and going to see chick flicks with me---not sure if yours is, too. If not, go see it with a female friend.

As an aside, Patricia Neal and Gary Cooper fell in love filming The Fountainhead. *Unfortunately*, he was married at the time... and stayed married. She wrote about it in her book <u>As I Am</u>. Neal's autobiography and the book by Ayn Rand are both excellent.

Janet, I haven't gotten over how paralyzed with boredom I was with Clint's Unforgiven . I figure if this is another of his movies I'll pass. :rofl: You go see it and tell me what you think. :wink:

Suz

tinamarie1

I have seen some real stinkers lately. husband and I went on a date a few weeks ago and saw The Good Shepherd. My first clue should have been the amount of senior citizens who came into the theater. Honestly, we were the youngest ones in there and the theater was packed. I know I know...what should I have expected? Its about the beginnings of the CIA (whoo hooo...lots of interest there). The only reason it even appealed to me is that Angelina Jolie is in it. She had about 20 minutes of screen time through the whole movie. The whole 3 hour movie. If I could have gracefully squeezed past all the people in our row, I would have left.
Then last night we watched The Wicker Man on pay per view. I like Nicholas Cage for the most part and the previews looked really good. I was stomping and fussing at the ending though! bleck!!!

witzend

Suz

Little Miss Sunshine is available on Pay Per View in my area right now. Of course, they may take it off if people want to start seeing it in the theaters again...

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Thanks, Witz- I'll take a look. If it's there, I'll invite my neighbor over to watch it. It's the least I can do after making her leave the other movie yesterday. :hammer:

Suz