The dogs surgery and our car on fire! Yes, they are connected!

BusynMember

It wasnt funny at the time and its still not, bit I am in a good place now so at least I csn talk about it.

My darling, beloved rescue dog needed very difficult, dangerous surgery and Wednesday we had to drive two hours to get him to the vet hospitsl. We were near Madison, our destination, when my husband said"Do you smell smoke?"

At the moment I didnt. Then I looked out the window, dog in my arms, and saw flames coming out of the side of the hood.

My husband pulled into a Shell station that was fortunately rigjt there and I threw open the door and ran about a half block away with the dog. When I turned around my hub and a gas station worker were putting out the fire.

Obviously getting back in the car was not happening. We called a hauler that my hub knows from our home town and he came to tow the car to our home town.

Meanwhile we had no ride to the hotel where we were staying until surgery time at 7am the next morning. We called Jumper, who planned to stay at our house to babysit for our two other dogs. She got in her car with the dogs, drove two hours to get us then drove us to the hotel and stayed with us.

If Jumper had been working that day, we would have had to take csbs. We were so grateful that our daughter didnt think twice but just came out.

We spent the next day at the vet hospital. It is a very prestigious one and met pet owners from all over; one even brought a baby kangaroo. She runs a sancuary.

Best of all, Jackson, who had a congenital spinal disorder, survived and did well and is coming home tomorrow. I am in bliss!

The car place that sold us our car three weeks ago is towing our car to their place and fixing everything. My hub is a mechanic and knows what is wrong but has no bay to fix it. He retired so his bay is gone.
We will have no car for a week so Jumper and Hunter gave us my deceased Dads old car to use. The air and windows need work so hub is fixing it for them. It is the least we can do. He fixed them once before but they arent working too well again so he is doing it again. Hunter uses that car to drive all over as he often has to work out of town often and it uses less gas than his big truck.

So this all happened in two days.

Love and light to all!!!! Did I mention that I hate drama?

Last edited:

Copabanana

Wow swot. How stressful. I am glad Jackson is okay and that you and hubs are home safe. Is Jackson home too? Like you imply, It could have been worse. But so glad it was not.

BusynMember

Thanks, Copa

Jackson had serious surgery and did amazingly well.He was suppised to stay in Madison until Monday, but he is stressed at the hospital so they may let us get him tomorrow if we can keep him calm. Our house is quiet, just me and hub on a very quiet street. Our dogs are usually quiet...usually :). I hope they let us get him. I am sure we can make it peaceful for him. We actually have to keep him quiirt for 5-7 weeks so may as well start now!

Last edited:

pasajes4

Oh my! What an adventure. I am so glad that things turned out so well for your fur baby. What wonderful to have such caring and generous people in your life.

Copabanana

I could keep Jackson quiet as can be and I know you will too. I would put him right next to me on the bed. And there we would stay. At night between you two.

BusynMember

Copa, I would love to but his neck/spine had surgery. I fear we may roll on him or the other dogs may. So at night he goes in his crate. Because of his spinal birth defect, before surgery he slept in a crate at the ffoot of our bed for those very reasons. It anyone hurt his neck....he is calm in his warm and comfy crate. He has a soft doggy mattress soft toys and his special blanket.

During the day either hub or I will keep him on our laps or laying on soft blankets beside us. He loves soft blankets and snuggling. So we will give him tons of TLC! Promise!

Tired out

Awwww poor pup. As for the car..thank goodness it wasn't worse and that you are all okay. I am happy to hear the surgery went well. Good luck keeping Jackson quite and low key!

Snow White

On the Mad Tea Party Ride
SWOT - so glad that your Jackson is on the mend and that your car issues will be dealt with. And glad that Jumper was able to rescue you and hubby. Nothing like adding stress to stress.

How old is Jackson? He is lucky to have such loving "humans"!!!

BusynMember

Thank you SW!Jackson is two trust me, we wil still be spending on the car. We will pay for the tow from DeForest to home, two hours away But we are grateful.

And guess what?

We are bringing Jackson hime today!!

Last edited:

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
How scary!! So glad you are all okay. Glad your new little fur baby is doing well after his surgery.

Lil

A month down the road, I was wondering about Jackson...has he recovered? Was the result good?