The dumbest city in America

KTMom91

Local news just released the results of a survey...The Daily Beast ranked the 55 largest cities on their brainpower, and Fresno ranked number 55.

I'm so proud...

tiredmommy

I could post something about the city schools but... Oh! Never mind! :rofl: At least you're an intellectual giant among your peers. :thumbsup:

Kathy813

Staff member
Hey, Atlanta is 23rd! It could be worse.

by the way, I'm sure Raleigh-Durham is #1 because Fran lives there. Her IQ alone brought up the collective IQ score.

:rofl:

~Kathy

Last edited:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
So? How do you find out?

If my little burg is even on it........it may be at the top of the list. Our schools have gotten failing grades for as long as we've lived here. Last year or so state threatened them if they couldn't at least squeak by with passing.......they would close the system.

This of course after they spent a fortune on all new schools.......funny, but they never have that sort of money when it comes to paying good teachers. humph!

flutterby

Fly away!
It must be the gangs bringing Fresno down. I was watching Gangland on the History channel and Fresno has this big gang - the Bull Dawgs or Red Dawgs or something.

They looked pretty stupid to me barking at everyone. Literally. And, yet, they were so proud. I was embarrassed for them.

Besides, they couldn't even spell "dogs" right.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thanks for the link Kathy. That was pretty cool. I'm surrounded by smart cities. :D lol Not that it's rubbing off on the local population. :rofl:

Besides, they couldn't even spell "dogs" right

:rofl:

mstang67chic

Going Green
Hmmm. I'm within a few hours of some of the top 50% of the cities listed. I'm only a couple of hours from Indianapolis and they are tied for 20th. Not bad but had they rated smaller towns? Pffft. I wouldn't want to see where my actual town rated.

DazedandConfused

Raleigh-Durham is a big financial center. Most of the big banks have their headquarters there. In lieu of the banking bailout, and mess, I'm dubious as to the criteria used in the rankings.

I'm formerly of Fresno. My sister lives there currently also. The Bulldogs are Fresno States mascot. Sometimes they will spell it "dawgs". But, I know they have gangs that like to wear the university clothing.

DammitJanet

Well I guess I should be somewhat impressed. Within 6 hours of me in many directions quite a few cities were mentioned. Raleigh Durham, Charlotte, Greensboro, Richmond, Washington Difficult Child.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I can TELL you what the best state for political joke material is......

Our former treasurer is a coke head - Ravenel
Our governor is a womanizer, refuses stimulus money, and we all wish he'd take a hike - again - Mark Sanford
Our congressman shouts out insults like he has tourettes - Joe Wilson
Our representative insults the first lady - Rusty DePasse
Our lieutenant Governor doesn't think speeding laws apply to him - Bauer
Our former sec. of Agriculture is arrested for starving 8 horses - Trexler
Our first lady wants nothing to do with publicity, begs for privacy and now is writing a book....way to go Jenny Sanford.

I tell people I'm from Mexico and get less flap.

flutterby

Fly away!
Dazed - this particular gang had it's own Gangland episode. Supposedly, they're a pretty big threat and extremely violent.

witzend

It looks to me as though the list is #1 - Smartest to #55 - Dumber. Portland is #9. I beg to differ that Seattle is tied for #7, and there is no #8. They always think they're better than us, so I suppose if you count arrogance in as being "smart", I'll buy that.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Dazed and Confused, you may be mixing up Charlotte with Raleigh/Durham. Charlotte is a banking center. Raleigh is a research and technology center.
Lots of medical research also.

Witz, I have never spent much time in the PNW but I always got the feeling that Seattle feels a bit superior.

KTMom91

I can honestly say that I do not actually live in Fresno, thank goodness, but I'm closer than I'd like to be!

Heather, there are many segments of the Bulldogs, pretty much one for each neighborhood, and in each of the surrounding towns. Years ago, when I was still working retail, I was talking to one of the security guards at one of the malls, and he told me the mall was considered to be within the territory of four local gangs, and it got interesting if there were members from different gangs there at the same time. They also were averaging one auto theft per day from their parking lots. I doubt things have gotten much better.

witzend

Rofl. All that caffeine is probably a factor too.

I swear to goodness, it took us 3 hours to drive from Seattle to Tacoma one Friday afternoon, and that was just the usual Friday traffic. Seattle to Tacoma is about 30 miles.