The economy and I need to move..

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I seriously think its time to move, somewhere, anywhere but here -anyone have any ideas LOL (and no, it can't be cold).

Its not enough I am stressed out about losing my job -the tax guy said the good news is you have a return for the state, the bad news is you will get an IOU cause they don't have any money. How come they wouldn't even entertain the idea of me giving THEM an IOU when I owed THEM money.

With unemployment at 9.3, per the news, its difficult to even file for unemployment - they closed most of the offices and it takes hours and hours (and days) to do it by phone, and if you do find an open office, its a four or five hour wait. Now they want to cut unemployment benefits to 44.00 a week for some people, and increase the tax by 416.00 to the employer per person. Thats a good idea, lets make it more expensive to keep me..sigh..

Gas is going up again, we have already been warned that the farmers are not doing well and the price of food is going to be zooming up. We will have 30% less water next year.

But on the bright side some goofball financial people are pushing the idea that we legalize prostitution and pot - they felt that that would bring some money into the coffers.. I am way too long in the tooth to make that kind of career change if I am laid off :D They are talking about taking the tax on purchases from 8.5 to 10%, and increasing our registration fees to triple what we pay now.

I find myself squirrling away food like no ones business. I must be getting old cause I can't ever remember being worried like this. easy child is getting freaked out as well as they have started layoffs at his company.

Marcie

tiredmommy

{{{Marcie}}} I feel your pain... but I don't think it's substantially better anywhere else nationwide to warrant leaving friends and family behind. Unless leaving them behind is an added bonus, that is.

TerryJ2

Oh, Marcie, it is so hard.

The tax guy was kidding about the state, right?

I don't know if moving will help you all that much, unless your mortgage or rent is exhorbitant and the only way to get out of it is to move. It's pretty much the same all over, and this is a very bad time for real estate. Not that you were asking for advice ...

If the state of VA legalizes prostitution, and that's all I can do for $, I will be even more broke than I am now!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Its not enough I am stressed out about losing my job

Huh?

Are you losing your job...or just worried that you might?

I don't think there are many professions where we aren't worried these days. What a mess!

You are welcome to move in with me. No difficult children, though. I'm done. :flower:

Oh............and it's snowing outside right now. :919Mad:

Suz

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Terry, she's not kidding about the state. California is close to bankrupt and they've said it's likely we'll be getting IOU's instead of prompt tax refunds this year, effective February 1. You can BET we WON'T get any interest on that money that's owed us!

It is scary, Marcie, but like TM and Terry said, it's doubtful you'll find things much better anywhere else. At least the weather where we are is decent! Have you thought about moving further inland for better housing prices?

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Ha Terry - I wish I was joking - I suppose it could be worse - I could be working for the state and getting an IOU as a paycheck (they HAVE done that before) And as a professional working girl, at my age, that 44.00 unemployment check a week vrs what I could probably pull in on the street, well, I would probably feel like I hit the lottery with the 44 dollars...ROFLMBO

And thanks Suz - If I was SO'less, kidless, petless and would have enough money left in my 401K for thermal underwear, I would take you up on that offer :)

I miss my difficult child days where my thought process and Alfred E Newmans were the same with the "What, me worry". I don't like being an adult and having to have a game plan..blahhh

Marcie

DDD

Sorry, Marcie. IF you had guaranteed income then I would suggest come to Florida. There still are rural areas in the State where you could get by fairly cheaply but jobs are not available. It is getting harder and harder, no doubt about it. Sending hugs. DDD

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
GCV, any further inland would be putting me in the desert and I do like a bit of grass around me LOL

I don't owe a lot on my house, and the truck will be paid off in June and have no other bills other than the normal household expenses. I figured by 62 I would have the house paid off and could retire and just fool around..NOT

Sigh..I have to laugh - SO and I were discussing what we were going to do and Dex asked me if I was going to sell the house. I said thats an option, and maybe I would move to Arizona where housing is a lot less. He said Oh I wouldn't mind living there and toddled off talking and laughing to himself. SO looked at me and said Oh H#LL no

At least we had a good laugh..

Marcie

gcvmom

Here we go again!
... maybe I would move to Arizona where housing is a lot less. He said Oh I wouldn't mind living there and toddled off talking and laughing to himself. SO looked at me and said Oh H#LL no

At least we had a good laugh..

Marcie

Okay, so you think you'll be able to AFFORD GRASS for you Barbie Dreamhouse Retirement Pad in Arizony? Where WATER is worth its weight in GOLD? People don't have lawns there, they have ROCK GARDENS!!!

I'm LMBO at your DEX. He really IS clueless, isn't he? :rofl:

KTMom91

Sunny California is not the best place to be right now. As a substitute teacher, I know I'll have a job. Our house payment is low, Hubby's stupid truck will be paid off in June, and Hubby's job seems to be secure. We've thought about moving as well, but don't know where to go. I can't stand the heat, and you ladies frighten me with your snow talk.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
GCV, how did you know a Barbie Dreamhouse was on my Bucket List LOL

One of my close friends lives in Surprise which is where I have been looking - I can get a newer 5 bedroom as low as $125,000 - with a pool (another Bucket wish). She has grass, I have seen it with my own eyes. And SO is from Arizona so its not unfamiliar to him, and a few of my neighbors have actually moved there. I still have my mother pending on the back burner, and perhaps SO's mother as well. My friend has given me the run down already on gas, water and electric. It would be less if I went smaller, but want to avoid clawing at my face (or SO's) because of the lack of room for me to ramble around in.

My only complaint to my friend was about the heat. Her reply is she only felt it from the house to the car, and then from the car to where ever she was going. And she has a point, its not that I go out a whole heck of a lot here during the day anyway. Am so past the point of bikeriding and jogging anyway.

Marcie

BusynMember

Hear TX and NC are prospering. I think most states are in bad shape, but we are still getting our tax refunds here in Wisconsin (however, as you know, we ARE cold). But the cost of living near me is very low. If you ever decide to join the Eskimos, we're ok here.
I'm so sorry about everything. It scares me to think of not getting our tax refund. We depend on it. I hope you can find your answer soon. The economy is the worst I've seen it in 55 years. (((Hugs)))

Stella Johnson

Texas is doing pretty good. The economy is hurting us all. Insurance is big in Dallas. All the major carriers have offices here. Cost of living is MUCH better than the ridiculous home prices in CA. You could literally buy a house 4 times as big for the same price as a little house in CA.

Steph

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well maybe being Toto's neighbor wouldn't be so bad! :D

You definitely need to shake the Dex. I suggest leave no forwarding address...

crazymama30

Don't come to Oregon. Jobs are disappearing faster than my paycheck. My job is fairly safe, my hours may get cut but I will still have a job. I work in healthcare in direct pt care, people will always get sick. Actually the hospital has called me 2 times in the last 2 weeks to see if I wanted to work extra shifts, but I was working one of my other jobs.

Our cost of living really svcks too. Pretty high.

BusynMember

Living in more rural areas everywhere is cheaper. Our house was $52,000. Seriously. But hub got a job at the cab company as their only mechanic and he's secure. There aren't that many jobs here--that's the problem. Where the jobs are, it costs so much to live. And, like elsewhere, the few jobs we have here are disappearing. Last year our one company in this small town was liquidated. Everyone found out about it right before Christmas. It was a real shock. They won't sell to anyone; they just want to liquidate.

donna723

You could come here to rural Tennessee where I live! We've got it all ... blazing hot summers and cold in the winter, but not nearly as cold as in some places further north. Maybe one or two snows a years, one of which we're getting right now. It can be 50 one day and 10 the next - you just never know.

Property values and the cost of living here in the rural areas are waaaay lower than in California. I have a friend who just retired and moved here from southern California. They thought they had it all figured out - lots of equity in their house there and retirement savings in a 401k. First the economy ATE their 401k, then the housing market blew up and now their house isn't even worth what they still owe on it - IF they could even sell it, which they can't! They found a nice rural home on a few acres of land here but had to take out another mortgage, which they hadn't planned on. But they were so surprised at how much cheaper the cost of living is here, the utilities and property taxes. Of course, people make less here though too.

That's the problem right now - JOBS - there aren't any! Our little county had one big auto-related factory that closed down and now we have the highest unemployment rate in the state! Everybody's just hanging on. Where my son works, they had an unexpected unpaid two-week 'furlough' over the holidays. Now they're back at work but only working three 12-hour shifts a week instead of the five or even six that they used to. All that overtime is gone and his paycheck has been cut by more than 50%. I think that's pretty typical of what's going on everywhere.