The economy and I need to move..

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I heard Delaware is pretty promising, if you're near the MD border...jobs are scarce in DE, but the cost of living is less than most other states.

Whatever you do, don't come to CT - we may make the highest living per capita, but everything has become so expensive and where housing costs seem to be going down elsewhere, it's not so apparent here. Plus, a lot of larger companies are cutting jobs in the major industries for this area and people are really struggling. I know we're hurting right now.

Best of luck - I hope you find the right place for you.

Have you ever checked out www.findmyspot.com? It asks you a bunch of questions and depending on your answers, it will help you find the right location to suit your needs. I love going there and dreaming.

DammitJanet

NC is a good area I have to agree. Just dont pick a really rural area. You can get county very close to major cities here and be in lower priced areas. I dont know what the insurance industry looks like in this area though.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Marcie,

Are you serious? An IOU for your tax refund? That is just insane.

Here in SC it's not much better. This morning a group of parents of some kids who were receiving TEFRA and recently got denied services due to lack of program funding were on the news trying to make others aware that their children were left with NOTHING....at all.

You can come here, to SC. Buy my house (please) and I'll leave the pool. Heck I'll even paint it pink and put some plastic furniture outside and spray paint the words BARBIES DREAM HOME on it for you.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Star, even though I am done with school issues, parents here are up in arms - there is talk of ending the school year a week early to save some money, and 2,000 teachers probably are going to be laid off for the next school year. Last night the gov's newest idea to raise money was to levy a 10% golf tax. We just had a mass layoff of social workers and probation officers, but are spending 42 mother in law on a new elephant enclosure.

Not that the elephant doesn't need one because the existing one is woefully small, but someone has offered to pay 1.5 mother in law to have the animal shipped to a preserve. That idea is not flying. Maybe I have gotten too logical in my old age, but ship the poor thing off - that money is better spent on the kids and services for them. Where is my property taxes and lottery money going to - I could have sworn they were meant for the schools.

There should be a section in the DSM exclusively for Faulty Reasoning in adult government officials.

I know its crazy out there, but am sure its not as crazy as living here..

Marcie

Sigh...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh and speaking of cuts, the Post Master General just announced they anticipate a deficit in the post office and are considering reducing delivery by one day per week!

donna723

Marcie, your governor should meet our governor ... they'd have a lot in common!

In just a few years we went from having a budget surplus to being hundreds of millions of dollars in the HOLE - and I mean that literally! Their answer, of course, is to lay off State employees! Not the highly paid ones in the upper tier, but the lowly peons who actually do the work! If that doesn't work, then the ones that are left will take a pay cut! And at the same time, our billionaire jet set governor's pet project is completing a huge private underground entertainment venue - UNDER the Governors Mansion - so the politicians have somewhere magnificent to entertain their millionaire jet set campaign contributors who are used to the very best! Yep! They are digging a CAVE under the governors mansion - the cave will then be magnificently furnished like Buckingham Palace as a suitable place to wine and dine the ones with the big checkbooks! Private contributions started it but the rest is coming right out of State funds, while low-level employees are losing their jobs! We're in dire straights, but they just keep digging that $&%*# HOLE!

This governor is not any worse than the one that was governor during the last financial crisis! First they decided that they didn't have the money to keep the State parks open. So they made those jobs non-Civil Service and laid all those people off that worked in the parks. But at the same time, under the radar, they were acquiring land and making millions of dollars in improvements to build a NEW State Park, that the governor then named after HIS WIFE!!!!!!

I think I'm going to be sick! On second thought, you would NOT want to come here to live!

DazedandConfused

Star, even though I am done with school issues, parents here are up in arms - there is talk of ending the school year a week early to save some money, and 2,000 teachers probably are going to be laid off for the next school year. Last night the gov's newest idea to raise money was to levy a 10% golf tax.
. Where is my property taxes and lottery money going to - I could have sworn they were meant for the schools.

There should be a section in the DSM exclusively for Faulty Reasoning in adult government officials.

I work for a school district and luckily they have some reserves. Most of SD in california don't. Still, I may be getting an IOU for my paycheck next month. I know that most Calif SD's have frozen new hires and mine has frozen ALL non-essential spending. It's been really tough.

Education is 40 percent of California's state budget and district admistrators and EVERYONE ELSE THAT WORKS FOR A SCHOOL DISTRICT is biting their nails to the quik waiting.

Dems and Reps just can't seem to hammer out a budget and everyone is left hanging. We're told the cuts are going to be HUGE, but no one knows how huge. It is the responsibility of voters to let their represenatives know they are disgusted and to get a budget passed. Everyone is going to lose something.

Lottery money is only a small fraction of a SD's budget. The district I work for gets 3 million a year in lottery funds. Sounds good. Then, when one considers that the district' entire budget is 300 million. Lottery is only one percent of their budget and we're being told is expect 25 to 35 million in cuts at least. Even lottery funds are expected to decrease.

There's been talk of layoffs and notices must go out by March to teachers. Furloughs have been mentioned, but the law says there MUST be 180 days of instruction. So, special legislation must be passed to end the school year earlier.

Property taxes? Please. Prop. 13 insures that property taxes will never be enough to cover required services. Property taxes are suppose to fund police and fire protection also. The people passed that one decades ago and the chickens have come home to roost.

Things are very difficult pretty much everywhere. I invested about 150,000 dollars improving my home the past few years. Guess what? It's barely worth what I invested. My little town has been really hit hard and is struggling and the butt of a lot of jokes right now.

All of this goes way back before The Governator. As much as I would like to lay all the blame at his feet, it's the state legislature's responsibility to make and pass a budget.

I know that a teacher made a snide comment because my district is building new schools due overcrowding. If are they going to lay off people why are they building new schools?? That is because schools are built with BOND money and when the voters passed the bond they voted that the money will ONLY go for building new schools and facilities. Can't use it for salaries. California schools have a lot of catagorical funding and those funds can only be used for what the fund is earmarked.

I heard about that golf tax. I live in a golf mecca and are people ever up in arms about that one!

Things are very difficult pretty much everywhere.

Star*

call 911........call 911
a 10% levy on golf? Yeah - that will solve it.

I think you should start a web site and RALLY around that elephant for freedom! No animal should ever be taken from it's Mom and put in a zoo to be oogled. (I think they are distasteful and inhumane) Wild things belong in the wild. Zoo's are baneful.

Sooooo ya want my house or not?

Steely

Marcie I want to move SO badly. And ironically I want to move to AZ.......:tongue:

For me, I just need to get out of this town, these memories, and start over. However when I start looking outside of Texas, I realize we have a pretty good deal going on compared to most states........It is kinda the opposite of your situation........but yet the core problem is still the same. The economy.

I do believe that if we look hard enough and long enough we will find where we want to be - the economy is just prolonging the agony a bit longer.

California, would probably be the last state I would want to move to just because of the cost of living. Dallas and some of the other major, all cement cities, have some of the least inexpensive housing - but there is absolutely nothing else in the city to do except look at the cement and tall skyscrapers, drink beer, and go to Billy Bobs.
So sigh.......who knows. But I am with ya.........I gotta get out of here.