The elephant in the room for all with abusive relatives

Nomad

Staff member
MWM...every time you speak about your father here, I immediately recall that he is a narcissist and empathize with you completely. My father was also a narcissist and at times it seemed as if he dipped into sociopathic tendencies. When you mentioned that shove of an elderly woman....OMG...I cringed. It is shocking to the core that someone, anyone...would not at the VERY least, have remorse for doing something so horrifying. I think you are handling the situation with him not speaking to you as well as can be expected. Thank goodness you have enough strength and self esteem to have figured this all out and to know that he is sick and that there isn't anything you can do to change him. I agree, you must set boundaries and protect yourself. I often didn't speak with my dad for years. When he got older, I called once or twice a year to see if he needed anything...even though ironically, he had more financial security and better health than myself at the time. He was VERy violent to me and my mother (who died young) and never felt the need to apologize, etc. the kind of stuff that definitely would get a person arrested...yet no remorse. Our daughter had brain surgery and he never inquired about her health. My sicknesses (autoimmune stuff) gave him good discussion and fodder to get people to feel sorry for him. The truth was, he never helped me or my kids one iota. He sent a small check for our son's first birthday, nothing for our adopted daughters first birthday and nothing from then on for birthdays or Christmases. There are a million stories...much worse. When he was dying, I did what I could to make his last days comfortable. His girlfriend told some nurses that I was basically absent from his life and one thought I was a very mean person. I did NOT tell her any stories...just said that he was not a good father. I have stories that would change their tune. But, I don't care so much. My prayer when he died was that at the very end (I know this was unlikely) that he made his peace with God and might enjoy good health (good mental health) in the afterlife. I don't have any regrets. The truth is, as you well know, they are very sad, frightened individuals who feel horribly inadequate. They are impossible to deal with and if they are verbally or physically abusive, it is absolutely not worth it. Don't feel an ounce of guilt. Do whatever you need and want to do. Amen about not being controlled by the money. My father made so little money, it was my mothers money that he had...very long story there. And he did threaten me too. They are scared, sick, controlling weasels. In the end, he did give a nice junk of money to his cousin who is also a narcissist and also was very likely manipulating him. Maybe, if it's safe, keep an eye out on him to protect him at least a little from blood sucking relatives. BUT...as you know...letting yourself be abused for the money is not worth it. Ironically, I think my dad realized at the VERY end he was being "played" by the cousin and his girlfriend. But, I don't think I ever could have told him this. I just stayed out of it. Sad. Oh, I actually also feel strongly that my father loved me...but what a freakin, sick mess with these folks. Anyway, you can predict his every move... You are in complete control. Blessings.

Last edited:

BusynMember

Nomad, thanks for sharing!!

My father was not normally actually physically abusive. He did shove that woman for no reason and blame her because HE misplaced his coat...typical of him. And he had the audacity to say, "Now she made me look bad."

My father is not unhappy with himself. He thinks he's great. He is the king and expects all of us to treat him that way and will use his money to get us to do that, until I dropped out of the game.

I am not cutting him off. I will gladly talk to him, but he can't yell at me or abuse me and I made that clear. Whether he will ever call me, because although he is allowed to set boundaries with us, we are not allowed to set boundaries with him, I do not know. But I'm serious about being fine talking to him as long as he does not yell at me. When he yells he YELLS.

This last incident started because he sent a holiday check to us to our old address and the people who live there now got the check and cashed it for themselves. Somehow it became our fault because we didn't go to the house and tell them a check was coming and to please call us when it came...haha. We thought it was being forwarded to us...we still have that service with the post office, but oh well. The incident has taken off and become his new reason for being furious. I don't know why. He's going to get his money back and it was $200, which is not a lot for him. He's mad that the police didn't throw the offender in jail, but he can't take it out on her so he is taking it out on me. That's how he rolls. That's when I finally decided that I don't want a penny from him anymore. He uses it to justify his behavior.

Whatever.

Nomad

Staff member
I think most, if not all, narcissists actually deep deep deep down inside fear they are inadequate. They hide this by acting in the opposite fashion. They "act" great, think they are better than everyone else...smarter, better looking (actually many often are good looking), wiser......blah blah blah. And I think many "get off" by thinking they are outsmarting you and when you have the audacity to stand up to them they short circuit. If you take any power away from them (not being threatened by the money) they short circuit. They get very ANGRY when they short circuit. You are, in a way, confirming those deeply hidden suspicions. Yes, I think that deep deep DEEP down inside they have their personal suspicions that they are just ordinary people and this INFURIATES them and sets them off into this sick pattern of narcissism.

BusynMember

Nomad, I never thought of my father as insecure, but you are probably RIGHT.

It is not my intention to hurt my father. All I did was ask him to please treat me with respect when we speak and I promised to do the same to him. I have not heard from him. I doubt if I will. He will read the sentence and distort it in that way he does.

I'm just glad that, even if it took being in in 40's, I was able to experience a normal family life. Even my first family with my ex and three children was dysfunctional as I did not know any different and my ex was so much like my father. The kids suffered. I am grateful that 37 and Julie forgive me with all their hearts for the dysfunction that suffered in their childhoods. I have apologized to both and they have accepted it with love and graciousness (yes, even 37). Interesting that my three children from my first marriage do not speak, much like my family of origin...patterns repeat. But it is what it is and at least they seem happy.

I am just grateful I saw this dysfunction as early as childhood and tried to change myself to make my own life better. Baby steps, but I did it. I feel really badly for those who can not cut the abusive ties that bind them simply because it is "family." "Family" is who loves you and is kind to you, not who shares your DNA. That's what I learned, maybe my biggest lesson ever.

Nomad, you are a wise woman and your posts to me were greatly valued and appreciated.

Nomad

Staff member
Thank you VERY much. Actually I hope to write a paper about the topic and interview children of narcissists. It would be a tremendous honor for me if some day in the future you would allow me to interview you. AND I think YOU are a very wise woman! Blessings.

Scent of Cedar *

That is a good thing because nothing is
worse than living on that tight-wire hoping to see
change.

Or feeling responsible for the crazy; for the mean, stupid things people who are supposed to love you do to you, instead.

I am just getting this recovery piece. Wow, what a whirling change in perception!

So because I choose not to discuss it again, it's over. Your wishes don't matter."
I hope he doesn't do this to me.

That disrespect piece; that making sure you never get above yourself by using the respect you require yourself to have for your father to destroy your beginning respect for yourself. What nasty people these are.

My mother is the same. I am only beginning to see it now, through what you have written about your father, MWM.

These are the toxins we cannot detect, when we have anything at all to do with our families of origin.

However, I still worry when the cell rings that it's him and I breathe a sigh of relief when I see it's
not. I know he'd never call me with respect and I am not ready to face more of this crapola and I
may never be ready.

I hope you are never ready to allow him to treat you in such a way ever again, MWM.

Can you imagine what freedom from fear of him (of for me, freedom from fear of my mother) will taste like? Everything will be different.

Everything.

I mean, I love him and wish him well, but...I just am not the same
person I used to be

The miracle is that we survived it, at all. What might life have been, who might we have been, had we not been groomed in service to their stupidly toxic reality?

It is sad when you have to hope your DNA collection will all leave you alone so that your life can stay peaceful and good.

It is sad, in a way, but it is triumphant, too. We can see them for who they are now, MWM. And we will never be taken advantage of again ~ not be them, and not by anyone like them.

WOOT! WOOT!

:O)

I wish I could make a smiley with sharp teeth.

HIS choices of not being involved with otherfamily members are just one part of the narcissistic personality. "My way or the highway because I am all knowing". Add in manipulation an control and you know you are dealing with a dysfunctional personality. You are absolutely right that they do not respect boundaries and you have established yours, but somehow it seems hateful or against society to see these traits as they are and put boundaries in place to protect you and your life/emotions from being harmed by someone who can not respect them - especially a parent/child.

It feels wrong to challenge the worldview of an abusive parent.

How sad for those innocent little girls that we were, for this to have happened to us.

We should be able to safely love our birth family.

But it is not safe.

Hallelujiah, at least we know that, now.

"I will not try to make sense out of nonsense."

This is very good.

I will absolutely remember this.

There is so often that feeling of none of the pieces fitting. That is the feeling of abuse. It isn't that I have to figure out where I missed something important. It IS not to make sense out of nonsense. When we invite our abusers into our worlds, the pieces are never going to make sense.

What a relief, to finally understand that.

And then use other coping mechanisms that work for you

Just as we would for a physical injury.

Though we never see the blood, we are bleeding, just the same. We bleed self respect, we bleed sanity itself.

I.E. the "Black Sheep" : remember the black sheep is only the sheep that is different from the others. So being the black sheep in a very dyfuntional family is actually a complement

Kudos to you, MWM.

From one amazingly black, excruciatingly ostracized sheep to another.

:O)

Can you believe it? Here we thought it was us, all these years.

A day does not go by that she does not remind me that her horrible life was partially my fault.

My mom does this, too. Only she goes on for hours, to any one of her children who will listen, about how rotten our paternal grandmother was. I never was able to understand, prior to rereading this thread, that my mother is attempting to destroy for us the one person in our childhood's who loved and defended us.

Even to this day she does this, destroys our grandmother to us, with incredible energy for an eighty something year old person. And here is the weird little kicker: she is devoting this kind of energy to destroy a woman long dead to "children" in their sixties.

How sick are these people?!?

I feel badly for myself, and for all of us, to have been raised by such people.

How amazing that we survived it.

Is that the dynamic at work beneath your mother's comments, do you think? Something designed to hurt you, to leave you seeing yourself as less than, as somehow invalidated in your own eyes?

I acknowledge that her life has not been easy

But what kind of mother is it who does the kinds of things our mothers do? We excuse them because they are old...but they are still mean and dangerous as snakes, these nasty, nasty peope.

Cedar

I think that once we make it through this part, we will never approval-seek, again.

How cool will that be?

I had to edit this part in. I am going through this whole thing about approval seeking and perfectionism and repeatedly having been shunned by my own mother. So what I should have said is not "our" approval seeking, but only my own approval seeking.

This is an incredible thread.

Last edited:

pasajes4

I am thankful for the lessons I learned from my mother. I became a more caring individual. I was aware that what I said could have long term damaging consequences for my children.

BusynMember

pasajes4, what a good point. I learned so much from my mother about how not to be a parent. I also became the compassionate one, always with an antennae out for those who are alone and maybe want to be included. I always reach out, maybe because I wish this would have happened to me.

Our society needs to stop brainwashing the masses that because you share DNA with somebody, you must respect that person. People in my opinion earn respect, and how is it that a DNA connection makes you an emotional connection or a love connection? I think this is old fashion thinking and will eventually be challenged, if it isn't already. This is why adopted families were seen as "lesser than." They are not DNA relatives, but souls loved in your heart and soul...somehow that is not enough to some people. I feel sorry for those who feel that way. They will forever try to make their DNA love them, even if they are terrible people, and will not look for others, who are not connected by DNA, to perhaps be their true family-of-the-heart. It's time to admit that Beaver Cleaver and The Brady Bunch (who are not all DNA related, by the way) do not exist in most homes.

I have had lots of time to wonder if I am lesser than because my borderline mother didn't love me. The thinking is that "If your mother doesn't love you, who will?"

LOTS OF PEOPLE.

My mother liked to tell me a story, not in a mean way, but just matter-of-factly. She did not think that maybe it hurt me. And I am not sure it did. But it says a lot about her ability to bond, which has nothing at all to do with me.

"When I was pregnant, I felt nothing. All my friends told me that when I held the baby, I would feel love, but when I held you, I felt nothing, absolutely nothing. Of course, I learned to love you lots and lots...." (No, you didn't.)

To my sister she said, "If abortion had been legal, you would have been an abortion. Of course, I'm glad I had you."

What kind of person shares things like that? I believe in total honesty with my children unless it may hurt them. However, I admit I never didn't want any of my kids!!!! But, if I had felt the way my mother did, I would never have shared that with them. That is the sort of thing you don't need to ever tell.

Now my narcissistic father: A life changing event was when he was screaming at me, as per usual, about how all of us were failures to him. Other people can brag about their kids, but what does HE have to brag about? My brother, who is brilliant, successful and has serious Crohn's Disease, is a BIG FAILURE because he never married and my father's wonderful, iconic last name will die with him so he is a failure. My sister is Catholic, rather than Jewish, and married a lazy bum so she is a loser. I married out of my religion...in fact I STARTED THIS TREND...and I am not rich and don't even own my own home so I'm a loser. Then he went on and on about at least we could have married Jewish people because all Jews aer wonderful husbands and good supporters, just like him. Didn't he feed us, give us a home, put braces on our teeth, take us on vacations every year (no, he didn't take us on vacations, but whatever. Nor did we live high on the hog)."

I got off the phone and thought, "He's crazy. He had kids only for what we could do for him. If he doesn't feel we aer an asset to him, we don't matter. He is Jewish and his friends aer Jewish and Jews have long wanted their kids to marry other Jews so because my sister and I didn't do that, we were instantly failures. But because the men didn't make a fortune, he couldn't brag about THAT either so we were double losers. And the fact that my brother has never gone on disability or not worked because of his Crohn's Disease is negated because he didn't marry, have a kid, and carry on the important family last name.

When the three of us were still talking, we used to discuss this a lot. In the end, because of our horrendous upbringing, we could not keep up a relationship. All of us have coped in very different ways and I am the only one who has received long term mental health services. My sister likes to pretend it's not so bad as in "Lots of peopole have crazy famlies." I do not know what my brother thinks. He was the Good One in the family. He is even the only one my father will sometimes protect. I know my brother worshipped my mother. That's all I know.

Anyhow, lots of food for thought here. Lots.

Last edited:

Scent of Cedar *

"When I was pregnant, I felt nothing. All my friends told me that when I held the baby, I would feel love, but when I held you, I felt nothing, absolutely nothing. Of course, I learned to love you lots and lots...." (No, you didn't.)
To my sister she said, "If abortion had been legal, you would have been an abortion. Of course, I'm glad I had you."
What kind of person shares things like that?

My mother, MWM.

How can these people be so similar?

The story my mother tells is that she sent me back when they brought me in to her, because I had red hair. "I told them I would never have a red headed baby." she said. "But they brought you back in and said, "Here is your red headed baby, Mrs. Cedar."

It was my youngest brother who, back in the days when abortion first became legal, was told that he would not exist if abortion had been legal when she learned she was pregnant with him.

I never dreamed there would be someone else who had been told the same kinds of things growing up. We were not Jewish though, so we cannot be from the same family. I am English/Danish/Irish. This is so much like when I realized other families' children were saying the same things, almost word for word, by own children were saying.

Suddenly, you realize it was nothing you did, and that you need to stop apologizing and start responding differently.

In fact, THAT might be the thing I did wrong in raising my kids. At least once they started changing, I should have stood up for myself, instead of always and forever trying to do better, or to find someone who knew more about how to help them than I did.

husband and I (well, husband) claimed my mother was jealous ~ of me, of what I had, of who I married, of my children. I now understand that part of her hatred for husband is that he did protect me from her. And though she may not have been jealous of those things husband thought she was jealous of, what she did hate was that I had anything.

Anything at all, and that she did not and never would find a way to control that I had those things or ruin them.

My mother broke or ruined (maybe on purpose?) so many of my things, growing up.

And she hurt me repeatedly, of course.

OK you guys. So, hello...maybe the miracle here is that my children have managed as well as they have, between the drugs and their genetic heritages.

Anyway, what I was going to say is that when the kids started having trouble, that was a vulnerability my mother could use ~ and she did. She sneered, "Well, I guess you weren't such a good mother after all, were you.", when I told her (upon husband's insistence that of course our parents should know) that difficult child daughter had been admitted to the first dual diagnostic facility.
(When she was 14).

And that is so much why I believed I had done this, had done something so wrong in raising my children. But for heaven's sake ~ look at the genetic material they had to work with.

What a morning this has been.

How does that go? "Nothing is as they taught us."

Pasa, I agree that our mothers did the best they were capable of.

Cedar

2much2recover

Cedar, all I can say is that I am so sorry that you had to, for such a long time, deal with such sick people. Anyone who would say these type of things to their children obviously has some very serious mental health problems. It's not you, its THEM!!!!

BusynMember

Cedar, I am convinced people with personality disorders, due to lack of empathy and a strange ability to be mean, are why parents seem alike. Get this. My mother was extremely jealous of my relationship with HER mother. Looking back I think Grandma had personality problems too, but actually not as bad as her daughter. Still, she liked to stir t he pot and the best way she could do that was to stick up for me, the black sheep child, and she did. In fact, she used to tell me I was her second favorite person in the world, the first being her a-hole, he-can-do-no-wrong son. When I told that to my mother, she yelled, "Well, honey, she left ME an inheritance NOT YOU!" She went ballistic. Maybe I shouldn't have told her, but that was back in the day before I didn't try to get back at those who were mean to me. I shouldn't have said that and would not have said that if I had been forty at the time, but it was before I understood the game I was involved in.

The funny thing is, my mother always said, "I would never disrespect Grandma." She did whatever her mother said and only later in Grandma's life did they start arguing and my mom would tell her she loved her son more than her, blah, blah, blah. She also used to say, "I will never babysit for any of my grandchildren." And "I will never interfere in your raising of your grandchildren because my mother made it so hard for me when she contradicted me with Pam." She was talking to both me and my sister at the time because it was clear early on that Brother, her Hero Child, was never going to go on a date let alone get married.

Anyhow, she never did babysit for me. I got very ill right after 37 was born, had a fever of 103, bleeding internally, and she was the first person I thought to call for a babysitter and she said, "No, I'm never going to babysit." We had to call my very sweet mother-in-law, who never got over how my mother disregarded that. BUT....when my sister had twins, my sister and her husband agreed to pay my mother a high salary plus insurance for her to babysit the twins and she did it. She grew very attached to the twins. And here is the biggest joke...she thought my sister was mean to one of the twins so she did exactly what my grandma had done for me...she took that child's side against my sister and she did it for years. Haha. Poor sis.

Anyhow, I have studied personality disorders before anyone knew what they really were and figured early on that this was what was going on in my family of meanies. I have decided, as a layperson of course, that Dad is a narcisstist (although I think anyone would agree) and that Mother was a borderline (ditto).

Scent of Cedar *

Good for you, that you caught on to those toxic family patterns early, MWM. I am still as surprised as can be at the way my family of origin is starting to look to me. I knew the wrongnesses that were easily spotted, but I have been missing the subtler cruelties and toxicities.

Those hurt places, those times when I had to do alone what everyone else has family joyfully present for...those times require healing, too.

Before we can do that though, it must be that we have to go through all that "What is the matter with me, that I am thinking this way?"

It is hard to believe that the truth is what it is.

"I will never babysit for any of my
grandchildren."

This is so hurtful.

My mother was extremely jealous of my
relationship with HER mother.

That makes me sad, MWM. Your mom should have been so proud of you, so pleased that her mother loved you as she did.

"Well, honey, she left ME an inheritance NOT
YOU!

What a mean thing for a mother to do. I can feel the venom in it from here.

WHAT IN THE WORLD WAS THE MATTER WITH THESE PEOPLE?

She went ballistic.

Maybe I shouldn't have told her, but that was back in the day before I didn't try to get back at those who were mean to me. I shouldn't have said that and would not have said that if I had been forty at the time, but it was before I understood the game I was involved in.

I'm glad you did that, glad you stood up to them.

You told the truth.

I got very ill right after 37 was born, had a fever of 103, bleeding internally, and she was the first person I thought to call for a babysitter and she said, "No, I'm never going to babysit."

This is horrifying.

I'm so sorry that happened to you, and to your new baby. Explaining the unexplainable to the husband's family is a whole other kind of shame.

I am glad your husband's mom was there for you.

My husband's mom has been there for me, too.

It is nice that they have loved us, that they took us under their wings, that they were excited about our babies.

I have studied personality disorders before anyone knew what they really were and figured early on that this was what was going on in my family of meanies.

I know that you do that. You have posted some excellent articles for us, here. I haven't wanted to read them though, because it seems unfair somehow to ~ I don't know why I haven't wanted to read them.

But that's how it was when you posted about abusive adult children, too.

I am very glad that you do post such things for us.

I tell myself my mother must have done the best she knew. I try not to dwell on it. It is a gift to be able to look back now, to see myself in the stories each of us tell, and to tell my own story.

Cedar

Nomad

Staff member
Cedar and MWM...I try to tell myself that my father deep deep down really loved me as best as he could. BUT, hmmmm I'm conflicted about it all. I know I said previously, I think he loved me (in his sick little way). But, I'm actually VERY unsure if narcissists can love anyone ...in any sense of the word. Probably NOT! They are so sick, that I'm just not sure it's even remotely possible. They are USERS, predators, emotionally/mentally abusive and sometimes physically abusive....the list goes on.
They sure can and DO cause a truck load of damage. Knowledge and awareness means freedom and power .... Oh, and just because I said that subconsciously I think they are likely insecure, doesn't mean I think we should stick around for their crxp. Quite the opposite, actually.

Last edited:

BusynMember

Thanks again, Cedar. We do have similar parents probably with similar personality disorders.

Nomad, I think my father sort of loves me, as much as a narcissist can, but that won't stop him from never speaking to me again unless I break the ice first, or take back that he has to treat me with respect, neither which will ever happen. Because I don't want to feel guilty later (in other words I did this for ME) I sent him a lovely Channukah card, although it was not a personal card, and wrote a short note inviting him warmly again to call me if he wanted to as long as we treat each other with the respect we both deserve.

I mean, he's 90. I can't cut him off. I never cut off anybody. I do set boundaries and THEY can decide to cut ME off for those boundaries, but I have never told anyone, including Scott, never to call me again. Sorry, but I know how borderlines act and I don't want to be the borderline that my sister keeps insisting I am (although she has far more traits of it than I do).

Nomad, did my mother love me? Maybe when I was a child. I can't say. She was clearly furious at me by the time she passed away. I will try to explain the story that made her cut me off. I've told it before. I'll try to make it as simple as I can.

Grandma told me before she passed away that she was leaving $5000 to my biological son 37, but nothing for her two adopted grands, Scott and Julie. I told her not to waste her time because I'll split it three ways. So she got my mother to be in charge of 37s $5000 (you'd think it was $500,000 by the way this money was treated). My mother wanted some tax break and to put it in 37s name so she called 37 for the first time in probably 12 years and asked for his social security number. She needed it or she couldn't put the inheritance in his name and she had asked me many times and I would never tell her because the whole clusterfick was making me sick. I wouldn't help her do this.

So 37 was asked his social security number as my mother secretly called him. He was upstairs so I didn't know he was talking to her. 37 said he didn't know it, which was true. She called him a liar and a jerk and hung up on him and he came downstairs puzzled that she had called him at all (she did not explain the inheritance to him) and he was upset. By then, I was living with my soon-to-be husband who blew a gasket that she would do that. He called her up and told her never to call 37 again, that she had upset him and me and that it was not acceptable and then he asked what kind of a mother she was as he'd heard the stories. God, he stood up for me and raised his voice to her. Maybe he shouldn't have, but it felt validating to me. She hung up on him. My mother never called me again and when Tom and I married she did not come to the wedding or even send a card.

Her reasoning was that "This is what Grandma wanted and you dared not to do what she wanted." Also, she hated Tom. "HOW DARE HE TALK TO ME THAT WAY????"

Too bad what she wanted had been mean.

My mother was always this way. She and grandma would fight, but she would never go against what her mother wanted. It was plain nuts. I did the right thilng, I think, and was villified for it for the rest of her life. 37 knows the whole story and doesn't blame me or care, but SHE did and slapped me from the grave by her disinheritance and not mentioning me as her daughter in her obit. She had two kids in her obit. That was MY siblings doing what THEIR mother wanted.

This taught me a lot about trying to please people, if they don't like you, even if you grew in their womb. That means so little. Anyone can get pregnant and spit out a kid. Animals do it. The lowest form of creature can procreate. Love is not the same and does not go hand-and-hand with procreation. Usually it does. But not always.

And if you're wondering if my grandma was trying to make Scott and JUlie feel as if they were not part of the family because of that precious DNA, you bet she was. It turned out that my mother got tired of paying the very small yearly tax on the inheritance so she sent it to me and we split it. Hehe.

THAT was why my mother truly hated me in the end. I did not respect my grandma's heinous wish for her small inheritance she planned on giving to only 37.

You can't make this stuff up. If I could make this up, I could probably write a bestselling novel.

Last edited:

Scent of Cedar *

They are USERS, predators, emotionally/mentally abusive and sometimes physically abusive....the list goes on.

I am reading those words Nomad posted like a little kid with a flashlight under the covers. Part of me is thrilling to the possibility that this is what really happened, this is what is still happening and part of me is horrified that I would think such a thing.

As happened when MWM posted about the possibility of our adult children and verbal abuse, I can feel a changing, a challenging of a belief system whose legitimacy I never questioned.

I keep going back over those words. How extraordinary that Nomad capitalized USER.

Oh, and just because I said that subconsciously I
think they are likely insecure, doesn't mean I
think we should stick around for their crxp

There's that reading with a flashlight under the covers feeling, again.

I go back and forth and usually conclude that my mother is so wounded, so hurt, that she cannot function differently than she does. Since my father's death, she is meaner, more controlling.

I am blown away by the underlying similarities between abusive/dysfunctional families.

That means it wasn't my fault. It was never some shortcoming in me.

Here is a story, similar in a way to what happened with MWM's grandmother's bequest. My father had a garage full of every kind of tool you could imagine. Within weeks of his death, my mother was touring people through the garage, pointing out what a mess it was, and offering them my father's things. His clothes were given away the same way. Nothing to family. Things that should have gone to the oldest son (a beautiful ruby ring my father wore, for instance) simply disappeared.

So many things that, like MWM posted, can hardly be believed happened and kept happening.

Anyway, my mother developed partiality toward one particular grandchild, and to my sister's husband, who has a certain amount of money and doesn't mind spending it on my mother. (As opposed to my own husband, who refuses to have her in our home.) My brother, openly shunned and discounted along with his grandchildren, confronted my mother about her unfair treatment of his grands. That day, my mother contacted one of the fly by nights she had been taunting with the things in my father's garage. She told the person they could have this particular, huge and valuable item FOR FREE. The catch was that they had to come and get it that very day.

It was a tire changing machine. A huge thing, bolted to the cement floor, from what I understand. One of those machines used to put a tire on its rim, I think.

When my brother came to do whatever it was my mother wanted done the next day, she sent him into the garage so he would see the item was gone.

To this day, my brother still talks to my mother, and continues to service her every request.

Nothing was ever said about the item in the garage.

It was my mother who told me the story...triumphantly.

Because I don't want to feel guilty later (in other words I did this for ME) I sent him a lovely Channukah card, although it was not a personal card, and wrote a short note inviting him warmly again to call me if he wanted to as long as we treat each other with the respect we both deserve.

I love that you did this. The more clearly I see how awful my relatives really have been through telling the story here (and as each of us does when relating something like this, leaving out so many telling little toxicities) I think I will turn away from my family of origin even in my heart.

I do set boundaries and THEY can decide to cut ME off for those boundaries, but I have never told anyone, including Scott, never to call me again.

After some months, my sister did call. I was so surprised that she did so. I did speak to her three times. I don't pick up for her anymore. The last message she left had to do with how she intended to keep calling. It feels like a domination. She used to pursue me on FB the same way, now that I think about it.

clusterfick

Yes.

A clusterfick.

I love that.

She called him a liar and a jerk and hung up on him and he came downstairs puzzled that she had called him at all (she did not explain the inheritance to him) and he was upset

Poor kid. They have no problem victimizing even their grandchildren.

God, he stood up for me and raised his voice to her. Maybe he shouldn't have, but it felt validating to me. She hung up on him. My mother never called me again

My husband has always protected me from my mother. He has never been afraid of her in any sense. He never liked her, never took her seriously, though initially he treated her respectfully. I think that as the first son of an Italian mother, he may not have any mother wounds. My mother is neither frightening nor interesting to him. He resents the power she has over me. He doesn't like it that she could come into his home and that he would have to treat her like a queen, and in the more recent past, he HATED paying for her dinner when we would take her out.

We fought so often about my mother.

She passionately hates my husband.

"HOW DARE HE TALK TO ME THAT WAY????"

My mother doesn't do that. She talks about everyone behind their backs to other family members, to neighbors or husbands or wives of the child in question ~ or to their children. This includes my father, both when he was alive and now, when he is dead.

She secretly told my sister's second husband that my sister was mentally ill. She also told the third husband that...but he told my sister.

After he chastised my mother.

My mom is all about vengeance.

A neighbor came to me once with some of the stories my mother was repeating in a group they both belonged to. All I could do was apologize to the neighbor that she had been placed in that position. husband and I remain on good terms with those neighbors to this day.

I never confronted my mother, nor did I allow husband to do so.

My mother said the same kinds of terrible things about every one of her children and grandchildren to the man she began seeing after my father's death. As their relationship began to go South, he questioned both husband and myself about some of the things she had said, and offered to tell us more.

I refused. I was so tempted to tell him who she was, really...but that would have turned me into her. And I have fought very hard, all my life, not to be my mother. The strange thing is that now, as more and more time goes by since I've spoken to anyone in my family of origin at any length, I realize I probably never had to worry about being like my mother.

husband wanted to know, of course.

I understand what you are saying, pasajes, about having learned compassion through such painful childhoods. But the lifeview, the vengeful, contemptuous perspective of those who choose hate...we were (and in so many ways, still are) at such a disadvantage to those raised decently. I am thinking here of MWM's story about her first baby. When she was sick, and the mother saw in MWM's request for help only another opportunity to hurt her, and to reject both she and her son....

My mother did that, too.

I am able to heal from your story, MWM. The onus is not that I was not worth cherishing, anymore. I can see my mother's shortcomings more clearly in the things you have shared about your own mother, and your own pain.

I did the right thilng, I think, and was villified for it for the rest of her life.

Our mothers relish vengeance.

My mother's sister died about ten years ago, now. My mother did not attend the funeral, but she sent a bowl of beautiful fresh strawberries to the wake. That is all she sent. No card. She told us the remaining two sisters would know what it meant.

It was a triumph, for my mother.

Something about the sister who had died having made a scene about my mother having eaten all the strawberries when they were both newly married young women. The sister had planned to use those berries my mother had eaten to make something for her husband.

not mentioning me as her daughter in her obit.

I'm sorry that happened. What a childish, stupidly mean thing to do.

Your mother, like mine, could be very cruel.

That was MY siblings doing what THEIR mother wanted.

My mother uses the kids against one another, too.

Thank you for telling these stories. I can see the craziness in the mother when I read about your experiences. This is lifting a stain from my heart and my conscience. I always, always feel I could have been better, or kinder, or more understanding somehow, and these things would not have happened.

It shocks me to understand the similarities, the lust of vengeance, the disregard even of a grandchild, in our mothers.

Anyone can get pregnant and spit out a kid. Animals do it. The lowest form of creature can procreate.

You can't make this stuff up.

No. And words can never adequately describe the horror of what it was.

Cedar

BusynMember

Cedar, I didn't realize how horrible it was until I distanced myself because I was used to her. And when I was still in contact with my brother, who adored her, and my sister, who kissed her backside to have a relationship with her, they really looked upon her with fondness so I thought it was ME. I had to detach from the DNA crew before I could clear my head.

I learned to detach in a very odd way and I will share it. I love our sharing sessions. Reminds me of pajama parties when I was little and we girls shared which boy we liked, although, of course, this is a much more serious topic. Maybe others who read this can learn from it and get out of Dodge earlier than we did. I hope so.

Anyway, just before I turned forty I met a man of fifty who liked me. I wasn't all that nuts about him, but I kept talking to him because he said things that were novel and shocking to me, such as he didn't talk to his sister and that it didn't upset him not to talk to her. I was flabbergasted and wanted to know how he could NOT CARE. When my sister put me on cut off, I was chastised and saddened and felt so guilty because, of course, she did it because I was so horrible. So how could he not care? He also added that he does this to anyone who is toxic to him (his word...toxic). He had my interest. I listened.

Apparently his sister had been treating him like a piece of trash since the early years. She would make him the butt of jokes at family gatherings and nobody stopped her. In fact, everyone would laugh and if he didn't join in the laughter, he was a "poor sport" and his family got on his case for being crabby. Wow. I asked if he would ever talk to her again. He shrugged. I asked if he missed her. He said, "Not at all." I asked him about the rest of his family. He said he was close to his mother, who stuck up for him and was kind to him, and his twin brother, same deal, but did not go to family events that included anyone else. He did not see his sister, his uncles, his cousins, anyone else in the family. He had a slight speech impediment and apparently they thought this was fodder for hilarious jokes at dinner, but this man didn't agree so he ate elsewhere or just stayed by himself. He was very fine about being alone, which he said was better than being with people who weren't nice. to him.

He did it to friends who turned out to be not-so-friends too, but mostly it was his family.

It took me six months of dating this man in a mostly friendly way to get it into my head that he wasn't horrible for shunning his family and family events. He was SMART. He was certainly a lot happier at Christmas than I was!

He was the first person I'd ever met who admitted to me they shunned and didn't even like most of their family. He was bold enough to tell me he didn't even "I don't like them, but I love them." He said he did not love his abusers. They could die tomorrow and he wouldn't care. Now I am not that type of thinker, but he was. He didn't WISH them dead, but just admitted that he honestly wouldn't miss them as they were a source of trauma to him before he'd left them.

This is where I finally got the message that if somebody is mean to me, even my own mother, it is ok not to talk to her. I was brainwashed into thinking, like most people, that YOU are HORRIBLE if you shun your own parents and siblings, after all THEY ARE YOUR BLOOD! If they got sick in their old age, I had to wipe their you-know-whats even if they were still swearing at me and had treated me like the stuff I was wiping all of my life. I thought it was my duty as a daughter to always make sure I was looking after them, even if they didn't look after me or my kids. Even if they'd abused me. I realize now that was just more brainwashing. Society is slow to change.

I always wondered what that meant...THEY ARE YOUR BLOOD. They aren't. We are all separate people.

So what if we share DNA? We have to love one another? We have to talk? We are somehow diminished as people if we don't?

Nonsense.

We all have a right to demand respect from everyone we know as long as we respect them back. That includes the sperm donor, the womb, the accidents of those who spent time in the same womb who were created by the same sperm donor. That includes Dad and Mom's womb-sharers. That includes anyone who is horrible to us.

Of course, many choose to put up with it. We are so brainwashed that family is everything, which is a big lie. It certainly may be to some, maybe many people, but it does not apply universally. If other people crave the love of their DNA haters, let them. I have learned on my journey that this is so insignicant. Most of those I love with all my heart and soul are not DNA related to me. And there's nothing wrong with that. Those we value the most and those dearest to our hearts, in my opinion, SHOULD be the ones who feel the same about us.

Last edited:

pasajes4

These are sick individuals. In my mothers case her cutting off feelings for people was self preservation. I am not excusing her behavior towards us, but I have a better understanding of why she did it.

It is a waste of my precious time to spend a whole lot of that time on the things she did to us as kids. She is wallowing in the mess she made of things with her kids and grands.

My Christmas wish for all of us is the gift of loving ourselves and the people who matter to us.

BusynMember

Nomad, I don't know why my parents did what they did. I don't really care about the past either.

I care about now.

I am glad I learned to take good care of me. I hope everyone learns to do that. I used to think it was selfish to take care of yourself, but that was just more of my DNA collection talking. It is generous and kind to be good to yourself, both for yourself and so you can function well for those REAL loved ones in your life.

As I said before, I used to think, "If your mother doesn't love you, who will?"
That's wrong thinking.
My new idea of right thinking: "If *I* don't love myself, why should anyone else?"
Some of us are our worst abusers.

You give marvelous feedback, both of you.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
This made me think of all of you........something you always say too MWM.......

10856826_819546634769620_7148037939835880873_o.jpg