The fear that your child could die

Elsi

I spoke with the vet today. We are going to try another brand, Royal Canin and in the meantime keep giving her the dry KD. She is a full time job.

Why do all of our cats have kidney disease? What is this? The plagues?

Because it’s something cats are genetically prone to, and we are taking good enough care of them that they live long enough for it to develop.

They are a lot of work when they get to the point of needing medical care. I honestly don’t know how we would manage our animals if I didn’t work from home. Especially the elderly husky right now.

Best to Stella! I hope her new food works for her.

BusynMember

I was told that kudney disease is very common in cats. And by the time there are symptoms it is usually irreversible sadly. But they can have a few good years wirh treatment. My baby acted fine until her last time. The prescription food definitely made a big difference. She stopped throwing up and ate well. She was active and friendly and gained some weight. Also we gave her saline in a needle. That REALLY helped and its not hard to do. The fluid kind of helps the kidneys work...does some work for them.

That was my last cat and she was such a good cat. I would rescue another, older cat, but we plan to travel and I dont think traveling with cats works well

R I.P. Kitty. We love you. She was closer to maybe 10.

Elsi

SWOT we had good luck with the saline as well. And for the record I’ve known two couples who travel in RVs with cats - the cats love watching the scenery roll by!

I’m so sorry you lost you beloved Kitty too soon.

BusynMember

Thank you.

She would not have liked traveling plus we have three dogs. One isnt friendly to cats. They would need to be seperated. I think i will pick a cat who has been in our humane society a long time (they dont kill for space) and visit the cat a lot and play with the cat. Adopt one without bringing it home because we are not a good home for a cat. We had to divide our house in half for Kitty.

Elsi

I understand that too. Our husky is not really compatible with the cats, and we jump through all kinds of hoops to make it work. Love the idea of visiting kitties at the shelter!

Copabanana

What does you vet say?
She is very non-committal. I asked her about the saline and she said Stella does not need it yet. The radioiodine treatment worked, but that hyperthyroidism had masked the kidney disease. She is on a daily pill that is supposed to help both the kidneys and her heart murmur. She seems happy and has gained a lot of her weight back. I will have to take life as it comes.
two couples who travel in RVs with cats
I know a couple who has a dog, cats and a big macaw who travel in their RV. The bird loves it and so do the cats. The dog does not. He wants to be with then, so he accepts it but he would stay home if he could. They are like people which is to say, there is no telling.

I have a friend who has 4 Staffordshire Terriers. One is an elderly male who we all love a lot. The attitude of my friend is that he is complete, when Bruno dies. Because he gave him everything he has to give. He knows he cared for him and loved him 100 percent of what he was capable of. I think this is a great attitude about life in general. To recognize we gave 100 percent of what we had to give. The thing is recognizing what we have to give, and being okay with that. Letting ourselves be okay.