The "fun" of taking Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) son to homecoming

BusynMember

As we drive him to T's house in the car:

"I don't like this tie. It feels funny. The clothes feel funny."

"I won't dance."

"Can I come at 9:00 or 9:30?"

"This is stupid."

"This is embarassing. I want to go home."

You get the gist. It got a little better when we picked up T. and started taking pictures. Everyone in her house knows him and the girl and her sister (who drove with us) were very excited. The younger kids were dancing around. T. looked lovely.
L. kind of slumped over in the car with the girls at first, but responded when T. started talking. She's a non-stop talker and he brightened up when he saw some of his friends. Before we let him out of the car, hub told him, privately, that if he wanted to come home early to call. He didn't call. I had fallen asleep by the time he came home and hub and easy child had gone to drive everyone home. I remember I asked if he'd had fun and he said, "Yes." I will have to get more details in the morning. These Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids...lol!!! Later on, hub kind of woke me and was laughing. He said, "L. has a lot to learn. I told him to walk the girls to the door so he got out and came back a second later. He said 'We all hugged so I came back.'" Hub had to explailn to him that you make sure the girl gets inside safely. He thought it was just for hugs and kisses...lol.
We survived L's first date!!!!

Marguerite

I'm so glad it went well. I had to chuckle at all the "I don't feel comfortable with any of this, I'll try and find some reason to blame" type of reaction in the car. We get that a lot from difficult child 3 when we're doing something he's never done before.

I'm not sure if/when difficult child 3 will ever get to do this. Mind you, difficult child 1's upcoming wedding will be interesting, when he gets to wear his first suit. Then I will have TWO boys on the spectrum each doing something very big, socially. I'm hoping difficult child 1 will be too busy trying to keep girlfriend from having a panic attack at all the attention, to worry about himself.

Marg

house of cards

I'm glad he was able to complete this rite if passage. It was cute/ a little sad that he was worried at the beginning but wouldn't most of us be? So glad he enjoyed the whole night.

BusynMember

Thanks, guys. Actually, he was more nervous than happy about going...lol. However, T. is such a great friend of his that I knew it would be ok. I just asked him if he had fun and he said, "Yes" in a very reluctant voice as if he hated that I was right and he had fun...lol. Then, again, he often doesn't show much expression. When I asked if he danced, his answer was, "Mom! Stop it!" He turned fuschia. This is sooooooooo Lucas...lol. I wish I knew how to post pictures. I'd show all of you how an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kid looks on his first date...lol. It was great fun for Mom :)

klmno

LOL! Wouldn't you have loved to be a fly on the wall? I'm glad he had a good time and stuck through the entire evening! The second date will be easier!

I think a lot of people use photobucket to post pictures. difficult child set this up at home for me so I don't know the details, but I think all he had to do was go to their homepage and register with a name and password (it's free of charge), then copy pictures into your album. Somebody in the WC can probably help with this- actually, there might be a thread about it already if you do a search.

everywoman

I am so glad that he went and had a good time---even if he won't share too much with mom---Actually that is pretty typical teen behavior--LOL.