The Gift of EMDR :)

HeadlightsMom

EMDR -- So, I've gone through 8 weeks of EMDR. I cannot give enough "thumbs up" to how helpful EMDR therapy has been for me. The process itself is relatively straightforward -- identifying triggers (feelings, images, sounds, sensations) from traumatic experiences and systematically "reprocessing" those memories so that triggers aren't so overwhelming.

EMDR is working well for me!

For me, it made triggers which felt like an ambush out of nowhere morph into a mere echo across distant mountain tops. EMDR has been a surprisingly powerful and effective tool. I'm thankful for the noticeably positive impact it's had on my life within just 2 months.

Note: As I am periodically a "medical first responder" in my workplace (I work with medically-fragile folks), I opted to choose a counselor who also focused on treating first responders (specifically, he is the designated counselor for our Fire Dept). The effectiveness of EMDR for me was on full display yesterday as I was "medical first responder" for one of our participants who'd injured himself. I was AMAZED how calm I was throughout the incident. My mind was clearer mid-crisis and I credit EMDR for a major portion of that.

Given all the repeated, chronic traumas we have ALL experienced in trying to care for our kids, we're all potentially susceptible to some elements of PTSD. I mean, how could we not be with such chronic, intense exposure to crisis? The fact that we're all still here at all, reminds me how strong and resilient we ALL are. I'm just more grateful for EMDR than I can adequately express. I'm glad it's helping me.

PS -- Sometimes it's important to remind ourselves to take care of US before we try to take care of anyone else! BOOYAH! :) Sending you all best wishes and enclosing a link for EMDR (for anyone who may be unfamiliar with it or intrigued by it). It may not be for everyone. But it was for me. Check it out, if you feel inclined.

EMDR Therapy - EMDR International Association

KTMom91

My mom had several sessions of EMDR therapy after her brother, two cousins, and three close friends died in a six-month span. She found it to be very helpful.

Sam3

It was profoundly effective for me too, but I couldn’t really explain why.

I’m glad you have benefited too.

HeadlightsMom

Sam3 -- I feel similarly. It was profoundly helpful (even after the 1st session........I kept looking for that "hyper-vigilant" sensation in me, but it was 90% gone?) without me knowing specifically why. And the more I practiced EMDR, the more I trusted the process.

I've heard various comments on why EMDR "might" be effective in many:

1) EMDR mimics REM sleep with eye movements (which can aid in memory processing -- getting "unstuck" from past)
2) EMDR may allow a form of less traumatic Systematic Desensitization to unfold
3) Who knows?

All I know is that I like it and it clearly, tangibly helps me! Check it out online. EMDR was widely used after the 9/11 terrorist attack in NYC. I seem to recall a study showing that nearly 700/800 first responders showed significant, long-term relief after 9/11 using EMDR. I'll look for that study and post it when I find it again.

Again, this may not be for everyone. But it is for me. I'd never heard of EMDR prior to 3 months ago. It was suggested to me by a counselor friend. And it's too big of a gift for me not to share it with others who may be interested in it for themselves or for someone they love.

KTMom91 & Sam3 -- So glad to hear it worked for you and/or your loved ones!