The good news, and the bad news

LittleDudesMom

Esther,

So good to hear the happy update about the wedding! What a joyous time to come!

Try to relax, destress, and take it easy so you can be there smiling and crying on that big day and not home recovering from surgery. They'll be time enough for that later.

Hugs and prayers.

Sharon

susiestar

Roll With It
Esther,

Just wanted to share a little I learned about the chantix recently. It makes you not get the buzz from the cigarette. It binds receptors in your brain so that the nicotine can't meet up with those little molecular spots that produce the various feelings. My aunt tried for well over 40 years to quit, never could for very long. Her doctor kept after her, and she would want to, then not want to.

She finally just gave it a try, figuring she could always start up again. She found that she lost the urge, and with the chantix she pretty much kept it gone. She even tried to light up once to see what it would do, and it literally tasted like cardboard and was much less relaxing, or whatever the sensation was for her.

I just wanted to share. You aren't on chantix forever, but can do more than one cycle. My aunt's doctor has told her to keep the medication in the house for her and for my uncle. This way if they do get a craving, or the urge to light up to cope with stress, they have choices.

I hope you can relax, destress, and have a wonderful time at the wedding. Again, your daughter in law to be is very lucky to have you!!

Susie

Fran

Former desparate mom
Esther,
If you can cut back on the smoking and have the surgery maybe you can come to the states next June. We can arrange a Parent of difficult child's Jamboree next June at my new place in North Carolina. We can open the door for anyone who wants to come visit but you can be the honored guest. (marguerite, you can be an honored guest too if she can make it)
It will be nice to see old members and new members if we can swing it.
Many hugs and I'm dangling the carrot of another visit to help motivate you to get healthy.
Maybe some of us will go back with you for a visit. LOL. :smile:

Marguerite

Interesting thought, Fran. I'll keep it in mind but I'm not sure our budget can stretch - I need to be with difficult child 3 for his schoolwork, so anything like that turns into a family affair.

Esther, I had a cute idea about the matching scars in the neck - try and find one of those kids' costume things of Frankenstein, like a half-collar you wear at the back, with plastic bolts. Or you could make one with a girls' plastic head band. It would be a lot of fun for the grandkids, or if you get door-to-door salesmen...

And if they ever operate on your thyroid, your scar will continue right across the front, although they are usually successful at hiding a thyroid scar in the crease of the neck. If they do that, you could tell people you're bride of Frankenstein (I went to a fancy dress party once, as bride of Frankenstein - I now have the hair for it, too).

I have a huge curved scar on one side, from kidney surgery when I was 20. For years I've told curious people that it's a shark bite.

I was always worried about scars showing on my body. When I had my appendix out in my teens, the doctor was clever and hid the scar very low. But when I had the kidney surgery, I gave up worrying. Even in a one-piece swimsuit, part of the scar showed. So I just went on wearing my bikini and showed off the whole scar. Amazingly, people noticed it less than when I wore the one-piece.

And with door-to-door salesmen, or various canvassers of different religious groups - I was going to buy a t-shirt which had red splashes across it and a very realistic-looking plastic axe in the chest (apparently embedded) and wear THAT when answering the door. It would speed up the whole process, I figured.

You're never too old to enjoy being undignified.

Marg

Stella Johnson

Congrats on getting another one married off. :flower:
What do we need to do to to get the last difficult child married off? :rofl:

I'm sorry to hear you have to go through the surgery again. I'm sure it is scary but Fran is right. It's much better than another stroke.

Sending hugs and prayers to Israel for you.

Steph

Stella Johnson

Oh forgot to mention, I am quitting smoking! I'm on Chantix (The new quit smoking drug)
It works really well most of the time. I don't crave them like I normally do. By the 3rd day on it I was smoking 1/10 of what I had been smoking. I've had good and bad days but for the most part doing well with it.

Ask your doctor about it.

Steph

SunnyFlorida

Great to see you Esther. Congratulations on the upcoming marriage.
So...are you going to be the new spokesperson and fashion designer for neck scarfs? You'll probably have quite a large following!

Hope you can get the Chantix. It sounds so positive.

Always thinking of you.

DDD

It hasn't been a week ago that I thought of you and thought it
was strange that I hadn't read an update on your life. How
terrific that there is some good news. I've always understood
how you feel as difficult child stays in your life. GFGmom will be 44 next
month. I wish her well. I love her. I wish I could look forward to at least a few years without having to be aware of
her issues. Sad but true.

Regarding smoking, I understand that too. It has been almost
ten years and I not only still miss my cigarettes...I LUST
after the darn things! Steps I took that helped "a bit"?? I
changed brands to the lowest nicotene brand for almost a year
in hopes that since I didn't like the taste I would smoke less
and wean myself of the addiction. I attended a hypnosis seminar
and listened to the tapes that came home with me. Believe it or
not I walked out of the evening seminar and didn't even think
of having a cigarette until mid morning the next day. Shock!
Finally...I got a bout of flu which prevented me from smoking
(or doing anything) for a few days. That gave me the headstart
I needed.

I used Cutty Sark to reward myself for every day of not smoking
and eventually I got past the worst of the withdrawal. During
stressful times I still want a cigarette. Sad.

I, too, have heard great things about that new medicine that
everyone is recommending. Good luck. We have all missed you.
DDD

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Esther,

It's good to see you again. It's been so long since you've popped in to say "hi" & give us the latest & greatest.

Congratulations to your son on his upcoming marriage.

And I will be keeping you in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

Star*

call 911........call 911
OH ESTHER!

I can't believe I missed your post. So sorry! Have missed you much.

Now as far as the wedding? Yeah - a new daughter.
As far as the monsters? 21 & 22? Will be going soon. Yeah again!

But for your heart, my friend? Oh wow.
For your smoking? Praying that every time you light up God makes them taste like dog turds. Just tell yourself each time you pull one out of the "pack" it's just a dog turd. Then fire one up!

Please know I'll be keeping you in my prayers. We can't loose you, I have no other friends in Jerusalem. What would I ever say to people I know? I wouldn't be able to say "I have a friend that lives in Jerusalem." SO you just have to keep well. Eat oatmeal. If you can't get good Quaker Oatmeal there, let me know I'll send you some. It's proven to reduce cholesterol. It's a fact!

Got oatmeal on standby -
Hugs & Love
Star

susiestar

Roll With It
Esther,

I have oatmeal on standby too! You want the old-fashioned kind. I can give you a yummy granola recipe if you want.

And for breakfast oatmeal treats: 1 serving oatmeal, cooked and mix in 1 package instant hot cocoa mix!! YUM Squared!

Hugs,

Susie

Estherfromjerusalem

Starbie, hello there! Thank you for all your good wishes, and for your concern.

Don't worry, I intend being around for a long time. And yes, I am your friend in Jerusalem, and when are you going to come and visit me here? Have you any idea how beautiful it is?

Tonight it is amazing. Suddenly the summer is over, and this evening we are having a lightning and thunderstorm, with only a few drops of rain. The sky is just incredible. I love the winter (well, I was born and grew up in England, so it's no wonder), and today I am happy that I can feel the summer withdrawing and suddenly it's autumn.

Regarding oatmeal: you two stars (Starbie and Susiestar) recommend oatmeal. Yes, I know that, and I eat Quaker oats each day. I put it in a yogurt, together with a little bit of ground almonds and a few raisins. That is just delicious, and I eat it at least once a day.

My cardiologist told me to go to a certain lung doctor who specializes in stopping smoking. Well, I am amazed to tell you that I actually phoned and made an appointment, although it is private since my medical insurance wouldn't cover it. When I go to him I will ask him about the Chantix. I printed a page out from the internet about Chantix which has the generic name of the medication on it, so that he will know if it can be got here in Israel, and if I am allowed to take it with all the medications I am on.

So you see, I AM doing something about it. I truly do not WANT to stop smoking, but my intellect in my head is telling me that I MUST. So I will try, seriously.

Thank you for your concern and input.

Love, Esther

susiestar

Roll With It
Glad you like your oatmeal!! Cheerios are good for you too.

Would you like the easy granola recipe I have? I can't keep it in the house, we eat it faster than COOKIES!!!!!

I was thinking of you as I checked for freebies on the internet. And guess what???? Walmart had a free sample of Nicorette stop smoking aid!!! It must be a sign!

Hugs, We would not know what to do without you!

Susie

ps. Proud of you for making the appointment and checking out the Chantix. I can get my aunt's email if talking to another Quitter might help? She is in Ohio, but the internet makes us all friends (and family!!)

Susie

Star*

call 911........call 911
Tasting anything BAD yet Esther? And as far as coming to Jerusalem? I would love to, alas God has afforded me the richness of a humorous spirit yet not the pennies in my pocket to travel afar.

-Working on a magic carpet ride, but it takes such a high thread count.

Still praying every day your smokes taste like dog turds.

Hugs
Star (the other bright light)

O

OTE

Esther,
Congrats on your son's marriage. I haven't been on the board much this year so have missed prior updates. Sorry to hear about your surgery. It's never pleasant. Think of it as a chance to indulge in lots and lots of new neck scarves! LOL. Hey, it's better than a stoke. You know you have to do it so try to forget about it until the night before. Worry does no good. I'll say many prayers for you and hope that does help. Extra time means extra prayers.

Have you heard of Wellbutrin being used to help ease the withdrawals from cigs? I've heard of it from a number of people who report that it works.

Sorry to hear there are no improvements in your youngest.

Hugs,
OTE