The Headmaster From Potter Series is gay..........

Star*

call 911........call 911
I like the Potter series

I thoroughly enjoyed the first 4 movies

The last movie left me leaving the theater going "WHA???" too dark for me. No fun things, it just wasn't the same feeling - so we decided not to go to the last movie, but have our good feelings about those characters in the first 4.

As far as Dumbledore? Okay the dude is like 300+ years old...I guess at his age to find any love still alive would be a miracle.

Personally I think Rowling is bored with it all anymore. She's made her mark, she's made her money, and she's got an enormous fan base that knows they are near the end of a 17 year long series hoping for something fantastic to leave in their minds when it's over.

I think when people who aren't familiar with the macabre try to understand the dark and portray it; it backfires leaving your fan base confused. It seems it went from children's series to Halloween 12 in one movie. A little out of place to me anyway.

JMHO...

Star*

call 911........call 911
but at the very least.......she has people talking about her and the series again doesn't she? Marketing strategist above all else.

Lothlorien

She said she can't even pass out a coloring sheet with a pumpkin on it.

Are you kidding???? How about a gord, or a cornucopia? Are they allowed to color pics of the Pilgrims or is that offensive too? Good grief, this world is getting way to easy child for me!
Pumpkins are offensive???????

DazedandConfused

I thought it was odd that she "outed" Dumbledore but after reading Kathy's posts, it makes sense. I kept thinking, "Why do I need to know THAT?" I hope my students don't hear too much about it. They are hypersensitive to the gay thing. Especially, middle school aged boys. That's a fact. A student can be a bully, thief, and even a murderer,but the WORSE THING EVER to be labeled is "gay". If you have preteen, or teenage boys, you know what I am talking about because boys interpet it to mean "weak".I can just see some kid reading a Harry Potter getting taunted because he's reading something "gay". I know it sounds harsh, but that is how it is in their world. Literacy got a black eye with this admission by Rowlings. I hope it goes away quickly.

One of my zealot Aunts sent an email to everyone she knew and family (when she had brief contact with the family that left her wacky religious cult) about the "dangers" of Harry Potter when the first movie came out. Their problem is with the magic and "witchcraft" themes.

This is an important topic, in my opinion. Not so much because of the gender preference, but because this is more about censorship in the case of the banning woman. I don't have a problem with someone voicing their opinion about a particular book, but when they attempt to deny me and others access to it, it flies right in the face of one of our (I mean USA) most cherished rights: Freedom to access information.

Tenacity, though generally a good quality, in this case with that one particular woman, is grossly misplaced.

witzend

I have enjoyed the movies, but never read the books. husband has read the books over and over again. We both looked at each other and said "What's that got to do with anything?" Then husband said "That's not who I figured it would be."

I'm not sure that his sexuality has anything to do with the question, which was "Has he ever been in love?" Maybe the information was released out of context. Or did she 'feed' the question to the audience?

DazedandConfused

This is what I don't understand...my kids are not allowed to celebrate halloween in any shape or form at their schools here, because in the words of my son's 4th grade teacher "certain religions find it offensive". She said she can't even pass out a coloring sheet with a pumpkin on it. And thats acceptable to people? But when a parent objects to a book in the library, that is not ok?

Of course it's okay to object. Here in the California there is a formal process to "challenging" a book. Mostly, I have removed a few books because of language and subject matter was not appropriate for elementary students.

As far as the pumpkin thing. It puts me on a slow burn that because one, or two, parents object to Halloween, teachers can't acknowledge it in anyway to all students. It's bites! I was a child that wasn't allowed to do Halloween, but at school, I participated where I could behind my parents back. In short, I snuck around and I'm glad I did.

A couple of years ago, before moving to the much larger building I'm in now, I went full out decorating in the library. Not too scary for the little ones, but something that made everyone enjoy it plus just a little bit creepy. The students loved it! I basically dared the principal to protest by declaring that I was promoting literacy through Halloween and halloween books.

Last year I couldn't because of moving, but this year I can't count how many times I've been asked about what I am going to do for halloween.

I respond: "It's a secret".

Kathy813

Staff member
Rowling said the issue came up when the movie producer wanted to give Dumbledore a girlfriend in his younger days and Rowling said no because he was gay.

As far as challenging books, there is a procedure in our school libraries for doing that. The mom challenged the book at the local level and lost. She then took it to the school board and lost. She then took it to the courts and lost again.

As I said before, there is a system in place where she can put specific books on a list that her children cannot check out. She is not happy with that. She wants to ban them from all school libraries.

What really gets me about this whole thing is that the mom has admitted that she has not read any of the Harry Potter series. She "just knows they are bad from things that she has heard about them."

~Kathy

DammitJanet

I wondered if she was doing this so that no one else could attempt to buy the rights or make a new series based on the harry potter subjects. If she makes them controversial so that people wont want their kids reading them, she negates their value.

Just a thought.

SRL

I have enjoyed the movies, but never read the books. husband has read the books over and over again. We both looked at each other and said "What's that got to do with anything?" Then husband said "That's not who I figured it would be."

I'm not sure that his sexuality has anything to do with the question, which was "Has he ever been in love?" Maybe the information was released out of context. Or did she 'feed' the question to the audience?

I know the books well and I agree with your husband--it was information totally unnecessary to the plot or any other aspect of the books. I also question Rowling's judgment in releasing the info in the setting that she did, which was an audience at least half of which were school aged children selected from the public schools. I know the lottery for the remaining tickets went down at least age 7. It didn't seem like an appropriate time or place to be bringing in the issue of sexual orientation from out of the blue.

She'll be in Toronto for the final stop on Tuesday. It will be interesting to see how the topic is handled.

F

flutterbee

My thoughts: Who cares? So he's gay. Big deal.

Next....

(By the way, writers often have their characters personality framed in their minds even if they don't include all of the details in their writing.)

Sara PA

I think this is article describes the outing better than the other one: http://www.newsweek.com/rowling-says-dumbledore-gay-102813
In front of a full house of hardcore Potter fans at Carnegie Hall in New York, Rowling, sitting on the stage on a red velvet and carved wood throne, read from her seventh and final book, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," then took questions. One fan asked whether Albus Dumbledore, the head of the famed Hogwarts School of Wizardry and Witchcraft, had ever loved anyone. Rowling smiled. "Dumbledore is gay, actually," replied Rowling as the audience erupted in surprise. She added that, in her mind, Dumbledore had an unrequited love affair with Gellert Grindelwald, Voldemort's predecessor who appears in the seventh book. After several minutes of prolonged shouting and clapping from astonished fans, Rowling added. "I would have told you earlier if I knew it would make you so happy."

Seems like she had no agenda in revealing the information, she was simply asked a question and she answered it. Unlike when she was still writing the book and had to keep secrets, she reveals a lot now. No secrets need to be kept anymore. As wyntersgrace said, authors often have fully formed characters in their minds. Surely after imagining and writing these books over close to two decades many of the characters are fully formed and almost real in her mind.