The hearing loss I've been waiting for

BusynMember

It runs in the family.

One day I woke up and ta-da I had diminished hearing.

I do have fluid in my ears but the hearing loss, especially in my right ear is probably permanant.

I have taken three rounds of antibotics so far and they have helped some.

Now it's time to go to the ENT. I've seen the audiologist.

Anyone experience this? I mean, I've talked about it with family members who have it so I can share our history.

My husband has a severe hearing loss in both ears, but that is due to his having been on the flightline for ten years in the Air Force.

Any feedback helpful.

Heh, if 2 is still reading this, she is probably cracking up. Maybe it even made her smile.

BusynMember

Went to ENT today and he put a tube in my ear!!! My hearing his back to normal and he says it's just an ear infection, but that it is hard to get rid of fluid in adults with ear infections. So I don't need any feedback...doesn't look like anyone had a hearing loss anyway.

One more think to be grateful for :)

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
I didn't know they put tubes in adults ears, I thought it was just kids.
See, it's true, you learn something new everyday.

Sorry you have such a bad infection but glad it's that and not hearing loss.

My hearing isn't what it used to be. I did one of those free hearing checks at Sams Club. Nothing too major but I'm sure some day I may need some help.

BusynMember

I am thinking of donating my hearing aid to some organization. They're expensive and I don't need mine with the tube. If I ever do, I'm sure my insurance will pay for another one eventually. Anyone know of where I can donate?

InsaneCdn

Most insurance companies will only pay for a new one after 5 years - that's how long they are supposed to last.

Hearing loss is rarely sudden, unless there is related trauma of some sort. Usually, it is gradual, and a sudden loss is more often infection or something blocking the ear canal.

Sorry you got stuck with a tough salesman (or company) - they shouldn't have given you hearing aids until you had seen the ENT.

Scent of Cedar *

My problem turned out to be compacted ear wax. Fluid was trapped behind it, pushing against the ear drum. Then, I developed an ear infection in both ears from the fluid trapped behind the compacted wax. My ear canals tilt in a certain way, and that is where the blockage was. They were able to lavage it out, but it took three appointments. Now that it's gone, my hearing is super acute, to the point that I cannot stand loud noises or certain tones. When it was happening, I could not hear, either. It sounded like I was underwater.

I am happy you are better, SWOT.

:hugs:

Cedar

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
SWOT, you are very lucky that your hearing aids were covered by ins. Many do not cover them.

I have a double whammy when it comes to hearing loss. Nerve deafness runs in the maternal side of my family and I'm old enough that that's becoming an issue.

In addition, I'm a veteran of the old-time computer rooms, which were extremely noisy, what with the chain-driven impact printers, card readers, blowers, etc.

You can tell that the two big IBM 1403 NC1 impact printers were directly to my left as I have a very substantial hearing loss in my left ear now complicated by the nerve deafness.

I do not yet need hearing aids, but can only listen to the phone with my right ear and cannot hear the television or radio clearly with my left ear.

I have "filter" problems in that I have difficulty distinguishing voices from background noise. I think this is similar to the Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) that children are born with, but mine originates inside the ear as opposed to in the brain.

It's just a given in my family that once one reaches a "certain age"....

I really do wish my mother would quit blaming my hearing loss on "that music you listened to growing up...", though!

BusynMember

LOL, GN! Yeah, that music. When it happened, the first thing I thought of was how idiotic it had been to take my speakers, which is what we had at the time, and put them to my ears while blasting my music.

I may still have a mild hearing loss. For years my kids have been saying I can't hear them. So the next visit I see an audiologist if my ears are clear of fluid. It does run in my family too. I really have felt like my hearing is normal since the tube was put into my ear, but, you know, the hearing loss is usually slow and the person is the last to know so we'll see.

I'm sorry for your hearing loss and hope it doesn't bother you too much :)

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
SWOT, My hearing loss was gradual.

The first thing I noticed was my left ear ringing for a couple of hours after I got off shift, and that only started after I'd been working in the "farms" for a couple of years.

I noticed the hearing loss in the left ear by the time I was in my late 20s, and it was just considered an "occupational hazard" at that time.

The nerve deafness was actually noticed by friends who kept telling me to lower my voice, "that they were right here!"

The outright damage to the left ear quit progressing once I got into the networking end of things and out of the mainframe side, but the nerve deafness is progressive and worse in the left ear due to the other damage.

Re; tubes. My mother had tubes placed in her ears when she was in her late 70s! They made a world of difference to her well-being. Improved her hearing some, and cut way back on the number of ear infections she was getting as well.

Luckily, I don't get ear infections, just sinuses.

I hope your hearing issues turn out to be fixed by the tube(s) and that your hearing loss, if still extant, is minor and not progressive.

JackBeNimble

I have tubes in both ears and 40 to 70 percent hearing loss depending on how much fluid is present. I'm told I have chronic ear syndrome and the fluid never stops flowing. My left ear is all man made parts as the fluid and infection destroyed everything. I am lucky to have two ENT's that are the best doctors in the world. Before finding them I had butchers for doctors that would put tubes in my infected ears without any anesthetic. The pain was horrible. The doctors I have now simply block the nerve so I feel no pain. For those of you that have a similar condition and have a doctor that gives you a lot of pain, don't put up with it. Older doctors from small towns and cities lack the skills. Since moving to a large city I have had much better doctoring. If I would have stayed in the small city with the morons they had for doctors there is no doubt in my mind that I'd be dead by now.

If you require tubes in your ears to drain the fluid and keep the infection from developing you are not cured. Fluid in your ears in not a normal condition period. There are numerous reasons for fluid in your ears and continued infections. I've had to have bone around my ears removed because of pockets of void areas harboring bacteria. These are caused by having high fevers in my youth. One of my ENT doctors does six operations a year to fix a hole in the membrane to the brain. This hole leaks brain fluid into the ear and is also caused by high fevers. The most common reason is a eustachian tube dysfunction which is what I have causing the problem.

BusynMember

I'm sorry you had such a hard time.

Right now I don't have any hearing loss and fluid in either ear so I guess I'll go day by day. I didn't have a fever with it...weird, I know.