The Hoard............

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Hmm. Most of the houses on hoarders are about to be condemned, or have been condemned and several of them have had health issues and other family members living with them. I've often wondered how, especially once the show airs the condition of the home, how the counties involved aren't coming in and saying that's it get out you're done. Especially those with small children.

But I think they have to give you a chance to clean and fix it first, maybe that depends on location.

When I was about Darrins age we had the sweetest neighbors move into the old ladies house next door. Her son rented them the house when she went into a nursing home. They lived there a whole year with two babies. About 9 months in an odor radiated from the house, I can't even begin to describe it. Mom called the landlord because truthfully it was foul, really foul. The landlord son, evicted the family. But he didn't know what on earth to do about the condition of the house. It was hoarders on steroids. We were amazed such a thing could get into that condition in nearly just a year! I don't think these people ever took their trash out. Ever.

The son needed to sell the house to finance the nursing home because renting wasn't enough. But he couldn't do either with the condition of the house. He tried to hire professionals to come in and they refused to touch the health hazard. (and it certainly was a health hazard) So he ask my Mom and Dad if he paid them if they'd be willing to help.........I dunno what he paid, but it was Mom, Dad, and 5 kids in there for days tossing and cleaning and trying not to breathe too deeply. Mom gave me the kitchen sink as one of my jobs.....and ewww.....hot dogs don't really degrade by the way, they just seem to be an incubator for several types of mold. Working sun up to sun down, we got it clean. I personally think it was a miracle myself. Dad went through and replaced things and fixed things that needed fixed. The garage to the house was just bulldozed and hauled away along with all the trash inside.......it was just too much.

I slept in my spotless bedroom last night with a big grin on my face. :) One room has been totally re-claimed and is back to normal. Travis is really begging me to help him do his room. So I'm sort of torn as to what I should do next. I'm afraid of letting the downstairs go for fear it will get messed up again......I need to do the yard bad......but his room is over the top and I know there are a bunch of things he could pull out and get rid of clutter by yard saling them. And I can only do it when the boys aren't here. ugh

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
If I lived closer Lisa, I would send SO over to help you....well....maybe not cause I know most of your stuff would end up in my house LOL I am reading your posts can cant help but seeing my den out of the corner of my eye. About 8 months ago SO started packing up the Yoda stuff because we had plans to tile the floor. Probably 2/3 of it he took to storage, then I started getting sick, mother in law started having problems and he never finished that project.

My den is chock full of stuff he has brought home from storage. So many DVD's we could open up our own rental store. We have his mom's "stuff" that he won't part with, even though we have 4 lamps in there we will never ever use. VHS tapes so many I can't count (who even uses them anymore), books, tools, three sewing machines, three wheelchairs (two of them electric) and the list just goes on and on. And he announces yesterday that they have a 22 room cleanout of a house who used to be owned by a race car driver, and he bought a 70 inch flat screen and a pachinko machine, and he told them he would take the older stuff and put it in our stall since he had a lot of vintage racing stuff. I thought my hair was going to burst into flames. And he has nerve to complain about Dannys computer stuff in the garage and he was the one that cleaned off his benchtop so he could do his computer repair business in there. What little room Dan takes up, the rest is his hoard and mother in law's stuff (the stuff he couldn't get into the two offsite storage units he has)

I wish you guys lived close to me to help me organize a garage sale. But have got to agree Lisa, a nice clean bedroom is soooo nice and gives you such a restful sleep

Marcie

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so impressed with you Lisa!!!!!!!!!!!! I can do maybe an hour or so of work and then it takes three days to recover and I spend the first one sick to my stomach over and over. I have a husband who will do almost nothing around the house and except gritch because we have 'too much stuff' (we didn't move even 1/3 of our stuff from the house).

I am PROUD of you!!! I hope that soon I can get this place under some kind of order, but it will be a long, slow process. At least husband will be gone for a few days a week because he teaches in the city 90 min away and takes the university bus!