The illusion of the Internet

keista

Hey! How'd you get my picture? lol

Maybe because each and every one of us is so unbelievably, incredibly AWESOME that that's what we SHOULD look like!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
What's the problem? That's EXACTLY how we would look if we all stood together for a group photo...

(I mean - isn't it? You're not going to shatter my illusions and delusions about how great we all are - are you?)

T

TeDo

That is wonderful JJJ. I know I find myself visualizing what various people here look like based on what they have shared and how they "talk". That's part of what makes meeting each other in real life interesting. That, and the fact that we feel like we have known each other forever.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
It is fascinating to me, to find out that one person looks exactly like they sound, and another shocks me!!!

At the CD gathering in Cleveland in 2009, Stang was looking for a blonde... I'd gotten a bug up my rear the night before and dyed my hair dark red. But... She got me anyway, because O was with me - and I'd described lil' miss wannabe goth.

But, yeah, everyone here looks fabulous in my head. And those of you I've met? Still look fabulous. 'Cause I see more than surface!!! (And by the way guys, I have a nasty zit on my chin, so I'm glad you can see past my surface, too...)

muttmeister

I'm 63 but I still picture myself the way I used to look, like in your link... until I look in a mirror. What a shock! LOL If I can't even get an accurate picture of myself, how can I get an accurate picture of anybody else?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We are incredibly cute. And highly intelligent. Warrior Moms know everything!

You know, I just mentioned this to my Dad - we are such a large, diverse group that something one person doesn't know, another might... Or have the resources to find out!!!

donna723

OMG! That's me! Second from the left ...

Or at least that the way I still think of myself. Then I catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror and I'm thinking, "OMG! What the hell happened?" Nothing like having an old friend send you pictures from when you were a bridesmaid in her wedding over FORTY YEARS AGO to bring you down to earth! I was model-skinny, wore false eyelashes, and had long straight hair down to my hiney! My son saw the pictures and said, "Were you anorexic?" And now I'm a "fluffy" 65 year old grandma who has to keep dying those annoying gray roots that keep showing up in my naturally dark brown hair! But it's all good.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Star always said she's the pretty one -- and she's right.

Nobody looked anything like what was in my head when we met in Ohio a few years ago. The real thing was SOOOO much better! :bigsmile:

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
What?!!?!?! We don't all look like that?? OMG. I'm gonna have to go sit down.

Ok, I need a laugh today. Anybody care to share their "visions"?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Shari... I've seen pictures of you, but I will tell you whatI used to think you looked like:

Long, strawberry-blonde hair with a little bit of a wave to it. Big blue eyes. Perfect teeth. About 5'1, around 115 lbs. Fashionable dresser but looks pretty professional most of the time.

...And then I saw you in a picture on a horse... And my mental image exploded. I was right about parts!!!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Step, that's awesome. Fashionable dresser? ROFLM unfashionable pants O! My teeth are so not perfect, and my eyes are so not blue, and I am SO not 115lbs! But thanks for the image! lol

So, which picture was it that blew the image for ya???? lol

We had a thread like this once before....it was fun. Maybe we should do it again. Even tho several of us have now SEEN each other.

InsaneCdn

That is the good - and the evil - about the internet.

Good, in that others are not reacting to the surface of our being, but to our words and actions.
Evil, in that others have no way of knowing if this is us, or not.

On a forum like this, where so many have been through so much - if you aren't "real", it shows up pretty fast.

I'll guarantee that whatever you picture me as, you're probably wrong! But it could be fun to see what people "think" I am...!

InsaneCdn

You know, Step - Until this thread got posted, it never even crossed my mind to "picture" anybody here... or to wonder what someone else might picture me as. Sometimes, I wonder what people think about my insane approach to life and difficult children and such... that being a whole different subject!

Once I get hard data to go on... like Janet - well, I can pretty much picture what she must look like if I were to see here and not be wearing my glasses - as in, no details, but generally, probably pretty close. Otherwise? I honestly don't think that way.

I have no mental picture of you, or Hound Dog, or Malika, or Marg ... NONE.

TerryJ2

Absolutely! Too funny!

Is that Tony in the middle, or Marg's Man?

I'm on a writing board and the first time we all met in person, I was totally floored. Not a single person looked the way I expected. In fact, I told one woman that I expected her to look like Peggy Lipton, and another person jumped in and said the same thing. She has this light, breathy way of writing that just "feels" like she should "look" that way.

Okay, Insane, I haven't given this much though b4, but let's say you're 5'4", Caucasian, light brunette, glasses and love blue fuzzy slippers. Am I anywhere close?