The Instant Pot Thread...because

Tired out

I have the InstaPot 6qt. I didn't realize it was super popular until I started reading recipes and so many were using the same one I bought.

Tired out

it's the insta pot IP-Duo..what ever that means.I haven't looked to see it if makes yogurt
ok so you made me google it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHca_wJJg48
Yep I can. I wouldn't but I can. I would be more impressed if it made ice cream (LOL) . I buy Chiboni yogurt or Krogers store brand. Hubby always eats Activia and Adam will only eat orange cream WHIPS.
We are having a chuck roast for dinner tomorrow..maybe I will make it in the IP it worked well in there last time. I like green beans done in the air fryer!
Copa--when you were going "on-line buying crazy" (I love it) did you get an Air Fryer (I am gadget crazy--dives Hubs crazy!!)
When Ben got an apartment I gave him the air fryer, his favorite appliance. (I can see SWOT reading this and thinking "why would you give that $$hit anything?")he used it ALL the time. anyhow. I really didn't think I would care about it , I didn't use it very often. then I was int he store and they had a blue one so I needed it. I use it quite a bit for Adam--he like chicken nuggets and onion rings and chicken wings done in that. I like green beans tossed in a tsp of olive oil then in the air fryer for 10 minutes on 400--yummm.

Copabanana

I like green beans tossed in a tsp of olive oil
Well. I bought everything else but missed the air fryer. The beans sound delicious. I make mine with oil and garlic but on the stove. Do you think the air fryer is worth buying? I don't have space for another appliance, though.

Lil

If I didn't already have the Instant Pot I'd get the Ninja Foodi. It's a combination pressure cooker and air fryer. Pricey though.

I loved the yogurt I made. TiredOut and I have the same model. Made fantastic plain yogurt. I'd highly recommend giving it a try. Look for the recipe with sweetened condensed milk in it if you like sweetness.

AppleCori

I got one for Christmas.

Instant Pot IP-Lux, 6 quart.

I have used it several times, and I like it.

I am more of a crock-pot person in the winter, because I am a morning person and like to get things done early on, so throwing the food together and in the crock pot means another thing I can check off my (literal) list.

I am, however, going to make salmon in the Instapot for the first time ever. I have some to use up, and well, no grilling it outside today, which is my favorite method.

I have been considering an air fryer for quite a while, now. I’m not one to make decisions quickly, especially when it involves money, so haven't pulled to trigger on that yet. I did watch an infomercial that looked really good a while back.

Last edited:

Lil

I hear really good things about the air fryers. I have a friend who reheats onion rings, etc. from restaurants in them and says that they are as good as fresh.

AppleCori

The salmon made in the Instapot was surprisingly good—moist, flavorful, not over cooked at all. I used a teriyaki marinade.

I’m making ribs in it tonight with mashed potatoes.

What are you guys cooking today, with or without the Instapot?

Copabanana

There is a french cooking method called Sous Vide, I think it is. A few of the instant pots are marketed as having this function. I wanted one. But considering I'm so challenged by the basic model it's better I aimed low. I mention this because this cooking method holds foods like fish and steak at a constant lower temperature, I think, and they are supposed to be marvelous. I like my salmon "rarish." Pink to light coral color where it still looks moist, not dry. I would be tempted to try your salmon, Apple.

Elsi

The salmon sounds wonderful! We had salmon last night, but not in the insta pot. Making Buddha bowls with Thai peanut sauce today. Will make some brown rice in the insta pot.

Looking forward to some hot soup for lunch. It is COLD out there. But not quite as cold as some of you! We are at a balmy -2/-25 wind chill right now. So glad I work from home! And work was canceled for R today.

AppleCori

My daughter does make sous vide and says the meat made that way is wonderful! I may get one at some point. Her fiancé is an amateur gourmet and a foodie, and has all the gadgets.

Copa, when you are ready to tackle the InstaPot, we can help walk you through it. Just let us know. It is simple, really. After you try it, you will like it.

KTMom91

I've seen the chefs on Chopped sous vide different things, and have always been curious about it. Not brave enough to try it myself, though, since cooking is not really my strong suit.

Copabanana

The salmon
There are dedicated sous vide machines but they cost about $75 I think. What I was considering was a pressure cooker with the function. But I later read that they are NOT the equivalents of the dedicated models because they do not hold the temperature of the food in a narrow enough range.