The J drama

Abbey

Spork Queen
Well, J and girlfriend (40ish) were supposed to come this last weekend for a short visit. We got them a hotel room not far from the house and paid for their rental car for 2 days.

Saturday rolls around and no J. Saturday night comes around and we get a frantic phone call from him that his girlfriend has overdosed on heroine. She is on life support.

J claims he has not been doing any of those drugs, but I am skeptical. Heroine is pretty severe. It's usually a lifestyle, and not one that you lead solo when you have a partner.

I guess time will tell.

Abbey

Abbey

Spork Queen
No, he's been out for a couple of months, which to his credit is the longest he's EVER been out. But, part of his parole conditions are that he not associate with people who do drugs (alcohol included), nor partake in them himself. That is a pretty hard thing to do when you have been so deep in that culture for so many years.

I guess time will tell.

Abbey

envisablepuppet

I'm so sorry to hear this Abbey. You are right tho, if she is using the chances of him not using to are slim to none. I was really hoping he was on the right track this time. Hope his girlfriend will be ok. How sad for both of them :frown:

Lea

Steely

I am so sorry. You are right, you do not hang out, let alone date someone who does heroin, unless you, yourself are a user. Heroin is the be all, end all drug.......and once hooked, it is pretty impossible to get off. Prison will be perhaps his only way.

It is all so sad......my thoughts will be with you.

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
That's really a horrible story! I do hope the woman pulls thru. For some reason, I've always found heroin particularly frightening.

Any new word from J at all since the initial call?

Really sad news, sorry to hear it.

How awful of a person am I, if I observe that perhaps the girlfriend really didn't want to come visit??

I know, I'm rotten. :faint:

Peace

SunnyFlorida

Well....on one hand J called...that's progress :whew:. I guess the girlfriend was a little nervous about meeting you all and she sort of uh.........slipped up?

I don't wish anyone to be on life support so please accept my hope that J's girlfriend pulls through.

(((Abbey)))

I hope that the girl pulls through, too.

And gets the ever lovin' crap scared out of her. This could be her wake up call.

I don't know who J is, I am assuming he is your son. He will be in my prayers.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Yes, J is our son. I haven't heard from him since the incident, so I don't know how his girlfriend is doing. He doesn't have a phone, and only calls when he can scrape together 30 cents to make a call home.

My biggest concern was heroin was his drug of choice for many years. I find it hard to believe that he lives with someone who does it and he does not, but I guess it could happen. Who knows. She is also roughly my age - mid 40's - so it's not like some teen experimenting.

Abbey

busywend

Yuck! Does not sound hopeful that he is off drugs.

I hope you had not let your guard down. Does not sound like that will be coming anytime soon.

Sunlight

ant doesnt do drugs but does hang with those who do. he drinks, he switched to alcohol as his drug of choice, so it is not unheard of to be with users who are doing drugs while you are drinking.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Abbey

I hope the girlfriend is okay. I'm with you, though. If it's his drug of choice, even if he was trying to stay clean, I'd think the tempation would be enormous.

Maybe this will give him a teeny peek at what you've been feeling.

Hugs

KFld

I can tell you right now, my son is a recovering heroin addict and he would be the first one to tell me that he could never be around anyone who does it and not do it himself. It is the hardest drug to stop and unless your son was on methadone or suboxone, I find it would be highly impossible for him to not be using with her. I've unfortunlaty learned to much through my sons experience. Like you said, time will tell. There isn't much else you can do about it anyway but hope and pray.

Abbey

Spork Queen
He is on daily methadone treatments. I found this odd as he just spent 2 years in prison, supposedly drug free. One would think you would have dried out by that time. Maybe it is a preventative thing.

*If* he is really trying to get on the right track, I think he's playing with wolves by being involved with someone who is actively using. He doesn't even have to touch the stuff to have his parole revoked. Association is enough.

Abbey

KFld

I know they say this addiction stays with you forever, worse then any other. It may be that he didn't trust himself once out of prison to not go back and went on it for preventative measures, or relapsed, who knows???? Just the fact that he is involved with anyone who is still using tells me he is not in full recovery. I think that is impossible in his situation.