The journey of a thousand miles...

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
begins with one step.

Physical therapist was here earlier today working with me on navigating the stairs & getting acclimated to my new lighter, less clumsy quad cane.

It's amazing how quickly your muscles weaken when you've been flat out for the past 2 months or so. I've been told countless times to expect at the minimum a 6 month recovery period to rebuild my muscle strength.

That started today with a walk - a simple walk. (Actually we've been doing a lot of strengthening & stretching exercises here at home). I could only walk about 50 feet or so; and it was the beginning.

We're still not sure of all the diagnosis's. It's sounding like the July hospitalization was indeed Guillian Barre while August diagnosis's were correct - spinal meningitis & shingles; the shingles are in the central nervous system making recovery a bit trickier.

Tonight I don't care - I took a walk on a beautiful morning. Just to walk & enjoy the time out. Checking out my neighbors yards & their fall flowers. Ended too soon.

F

flutterbee

I'm so glad it was a beautiful morning for your walk. :flower:

They tell pneumonia patients that it takes 3 months to return to baseline, so 6 months for everything you've been through sounds very reasonable.

busywend

Funny how you begin to appreciate the smaller things in life when life deals you a low hand, huh?

You are doing great!! Keep up the good work!

crazymama30

You are doing great. Do not get discouraged. Often people think they should recover faster than they do. I like the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step saying. Another one I like is from "Finding Nemo" When Dori sings, "just keep swimming" Many times I will sing that to myself.

Congratulations on your progress! You definitely have a fan pulling for you in this corner. I remember difficult child's work with the PT when he came home after his 3 month stay in the hospital. Those PT's are special people who do such important work. Every session brought him closer to his goal and I know that each of yours will bring you closer as well.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Put....one foot in front of the other and.....

Soon you'll be walking cross the florrrr orrr orrr

Put one foot in front of the other and.......

Soon you'll be walkin' out the door!!!!

(I stole that song from a christmas video)

But it has fantastic logic.

Glad to see you up and around...Enjoy the day.

Hugs & Love
Star

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I appreciate the encouragement from the CD board. I know, on any given day, I can count on you all for a kick in the butt, if needed, or a gentle shove to get out of a funk.

Thanks ladies - this has been a difficult & swift change in my life. I'm doing my best to take it one day at a time.

by the way, wm is teaching me to whine. I want to whine to husband how bored I am being homebound. I want to whine tweedle style - I think it might be fun. :rofl: :wink: :hypnosis:

Again thanks. You're all the best. :angel: :flower:

blb

I think you are doing a great job Linda, considering what you've been through, 50 feet is a marathon :bravo:

Whining huh? Welp, everyone needs a hobby :smile: Remember Doug and Wendy Whiner on Saturday Night Live, back in the days of Joe Piscopo? Now there's some role models. :rofl:

Linda,

I am hoping that since 2007 is getting ready to wind up, this is a sign that 2008 will not only be better for you, but a banner year.

I'm in your corner, cheering you on. (of course, I'm on a breathing machine, so you'll have to listen closely)

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I am reading this a bit late Linda, but wanted to cheer you on as well!!! I am very impressed, inspired and in awe by you!!!!

You go girl!!! WHINE away....

TerryJ2

Way To Go, Linda! Absolutely, don't waste a beautiful day. Even if it's just to the corner and back.

:dance:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Linda

Great news! One step at a time and you'll get there. Glad the day was beautiful and you were able to enjoy it. :smile:

I know it's hard work, though.

Hugs

Linda,

I'm so glad you're doing better!!! You're an amazing person!!! I read this earlier today but didn't have time to respond. However, I thought about you and realized how much I take for granted every day... Thanks for making me think...

I've been keeping you in my daily thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery... WFEN