The kinder, gentler IRS.....

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by timer lady, Jul 27, 2011.

  1. timer lady

    timer lady Queen of Hearts

    I filed my taxes (should have visited a tax service) myself for tax year 2010. Big mistake. I'm being charged a inaccuracy penalty in the amount of $4600 plus interest.

    I have no tax due yet because of an error on my return I'm being hit with a huge penalty fee. I spent an hour & a half with a CPA yesterday morning. CPA was beyond astounded at the amount of that penalty. CPA is capping his fee at $1000 to make this go away ~ no guarantees tho.

    Brain injury & tax accounting do not mix. Never again.

  2. AnnieO

    AnnieO Shooting from the Hip

    Linda - I know how that goes. I've been doing my own taxes for years. Business taxes + different location from home of record/residency + small business = nightmare.

    However, I don't have any weird situations, beyond the kids... So it's mostly easy.

    on the other hand - the year XH and I divorced, I had H&R Block handle my taxes. I paid $67 to find out I was getting $71 in a refund - and that was the same number I got.

    With husband's business, though...
  3. keista

    keista New Member

    Did you use any software program? Most of them offer an "accuracy guarantee"

    Sorry you're stuck with this. IRS loves to just pull numbers out of thin air.
  4. KTMom91

    KTMom91 Well-Known Member

    I'm sorry, Linda. After four seasons working there as a CSR, and seeing what some of the long-term employees (who process returns) act like, I'm convinced the place is a difficult child safe haven, designed for those who cannot find employment in the real world. Plus, they do not drug test their employees at hiring time, and I never heard of anyone being randomly tested or fired, except for the guy that threatened his former girlfriend with a gun while she was sitting at her desk.

    Fun times. Your tax dollars at work...or not...
  5. tiredmommy

    tiredmommy Site Moderator

    Geez... that's horrible!
  6. HaoZi

    HaoZi Guest

    Wow, that's absurd. If you don't trust your local tax places next year I have a friend in TX that does them. Not sure if she could help you with state return but she'll do you honest on federal without charging through the nose for it.
  7. Hound dog

    Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

    Local taxes aren't much better.

    easy child forgot all about the school tax which we have to pay separately each year. She did the form, she forgot to send it in. She didn't owe them a dime. But had to pay a stiff penalty for not sending the form in on time. She won't forget again. But oh man was she ticked off.