The last few holiday seasons have been too sad for words....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
The last few Christmas seasons have been horribly depressing. I was chatting with ktbug a couple of nights ago & decided she & I need to do something different - something fun for the week of Christmas.

I'm checking out going to Florida the week of Christmas (not the Orlando area - most likely on the gulf coast side). My sister in law lives in Panama City & kt & I could visit with her & her family for a bit while we're down there.

I just want to take my artwork & a couple of books; kt wants to bike, dip her toes in the ocean & hang out.

There are some great deals on condo rentals; we can make our own meals, our own schedules. The airfares aren't bad either. So what do you think? Hmmmm....

Or is there another area in the country that would be a lot warmer than here, with more sunshine. We just want to hang out & relax. Maybe come up with new traditions for the holiday season for next year. (I can't afford to travel each year.)

trinityroyal

Linda, I think the Florida Gulf Coast sounds like a lovely spot for you and kt to celebrate Christmas. Sometimes when old and cherished traditions bring sadness instead of the joy they are supposed to bring, then it`s time to find or create new ones. I think it`s a wonderful idea.

Trinity

gcvmom

Here we go again!
We frequently have t-shirt weather for the holidays here on the left coast. :D Though last year it was actually cold... you just never know... But I think that's a great idea for the two of you!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Linda that sounds like a great idea if only to shake things up a but. We stayed on treasure island, which is on the gulf and it was wonderful! We saw all sorts of live natural sea life and the sunsets were beautiful.

Hey another option would be to spend it in an old New England town or NYC so you can experience all the wonder there.

I think finding and/or creating new traditions for the future is a great idea. Hopefully, this will create an opportunity for you to do that.

flutterby

Fly away!
I think it's a great idea! But, remember last year it did get cold in Florida - although I don't know if it did along the coast. My geography isn't so hot. :p

donna723

I think it's a wonderful idea, Linda!

You know, even in those "Beaver Cleaver" families, things never stay the same, they always change, and you notice it so much more on the holidays. With us, first I got a divorce, then a year or so later my daughter moved back to Florida to work, 800 miles away from my son and I in Tennessee. Money was short and the first couple of years my son and I spent Christmas, just the two of us, at home, but it was kind of dismal. It was VERY hard for me to let go of the idea of having Christmas in my own home, but the next year we drove to Florida and spent the holiday with my daughter, and we had a great time! Ever since then we've been very open about it and we spend Christmas where ever we end up! We've spent a few holidays with my brother in Florida, we spent one Christmas at Sea World, and even spent one whole Christmas Eve exploring the Battery in Charleston where my daughter lives now. And now that there's the grandbaby, we'll either go to their house in SC or when he's older, they will come here and spend the holidays. I still get very sentimental for those holidays when I had two excited little kids opening presents next to the tree, but time marches on and things change.

I think it's a great idea for you and KT to get away together for the holidays and spend some relaxing, happy time together, a real mother/daughter get away. Maybe that can be your new 'tradition'. Just leave yourself open to anything and see where it takes you!

nvts

Go away, dip toes, eat what you want and enjoy...the thing about the holidays is that it's about love and families...it doesn't matter where you are - love is love, fun is fun and traditions are made to enhance your memories, there's nothing wrong with new ones. You've been through the wringer - do your art and relax - you deserve it!

Beth

Mattsmom277

SOunds lovely! I'm with those saying sometimes you have to shake things up and develop new traditions. Perhaps each year you could pick a new place to explore. New England at Christmas indeed is beautiful as mentioned. And then the warmer places would be a nice break mid winter as well. Wherever you two head, I bet you'll long remember those weeks away together. Bravo for figuring out that you can do something to turn those rotten holidays around. Have fun planning :)

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I think its an awesome idea. I have been trying to tlak my family into abandoning the expense of gifts and going somewhere instead for a while to no avail...I remember most all of my family vacations, but very few Christmas gifts leave such an impression...

I say go for it!

DammitJanet

Ya know Linda...I think a new tradition of traveling for holidays sounds very good. Maybe this Xmas is Fla. Next Xmas could be Myrtle Beach...you could see me, EW and Star...maybe Fran would run on down for a day! I would bring all the kidlets to entertain KT!

You could work in a trip to Williamsburg maybe for Thanksgiving one year. It is divine that time of year. Totally handicapped accessible too. KT would adore it. Id say Difficult Child but after my experience, I think it would be hard on you. Maybe you and I could hang out at Jamie's and get Tony and Jamie to take KT and the kids to the zoo one year. Hey....I can fill up your travel plans!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Great idea!!! Sounds fun. One year I want to go to Williamsburg.......husband's family works there and it's awesome at xmas!!

pepperidge

Hi Linda,

A few years ago we went to Sanibel Island at spring break. The beaches are lovely, you can walk for miles, we rented bikes as there are nice bike paths, a nature preserve, and lots of condos for rent. It is not too far from the airport. Worth a look. Sounds like a great plan.

I too feel the need to invent some new holiday traditions, seems like the holidays have gotten increasingly ground down in the whole difficult child thing. I don't look forward to them at all. So perhaps you will inspire me to rethink things.

P.

LittleDudesMom

Linda,

I think you hit upon a fabulous idea! Making new memories and starting new traditions is just what you and kt need to celebrate the holidays this year. I'm sure you will miss being with your family, but perhaps you can fit in a visit with them a couple weeks before Christmas. Dangling your toes in the surf while those in your hometown scrape the frost off their windshield is a great thing!

Sharon

busywend

Wonderful idea!!!

Keep us posted on your holiday plans! We will all be jealous! At least those of us up North!