The latest plan

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Now wee difficult child is being pulled out of his half-day of school for 60 minutes of 1 on 1 instruction in the SpEd room. Next week, they want to pull him out for another 30 minutes daily for social skills group.

I'm fine with these things. I think its grand they are doing them and he needs them.

But if the big plan is to build on the success of his morning in the classroom, why are they taking away the morning in the classroom? He responds well to 1 on 1 instruction - why not add this to an extension in the afternoon???

I'm so sick of this and its only the 5th day of school.

klmno

But if the big plan is to build on the success of his morning in the classroom, why are they taking away the morning in the classroom? He responds well to 1 on 1 instruction - why not add this to an extension in the afternoon???

I agree and think this is a good question to ask the sd. I'd want to make sure they aren't just going about things in a way to prevent having to get another teacher on board or something like that- to make sure they are making decisions based on difficult child's best interest and not their staffing.

slsh

member since 1999
It's an outstanding question ("why not afternoon") to very pointedly ask them. ;)

Actually, the fact that they even have a social skills group impresses me. Never in all of my difficult child's school career was there such a thing (which could explain why we're where we are now, LOL). I think it's a positive sign that they have it and are giving him 30 mins daily. (Make sure the pull out time and social skills group are written in the IEP, with 60 and 30 mins daily respectively noted - could make your life a bit easier down the road.)

LittleDudesMom

I think it's great that they are offering the social skills class. Could it be that perhaps the electives are in the afternoon and more academics are in the morning? Or perhaps the feel his level of attention is greater in the morning and it would be more advantageous for him to get instruction when he is fresh and alert? Perhaps the speced pullouts are all in the mornings?

I don't know the answer. I would just ask.

Sharon

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I am very glad for the social skills class. I think its great. I am just concerned about the number of transitions this makes for him and the number of people who are still involved for 5 hours of school...

He is working SOOOO hard to fit in. And I'm not against it being in the morning...just concerned about him falling back easily into the mainstream classroom for the half hour after social skills and before recess and 1 on 1 instruction.

SRL

I'd bet if you do some digging you'll find out the answer to this question ultimately is "to save money". Maybe the bus already runs for a number of kids at lunch. Maybe they only have the therapists in their building in the AM. I don't know the exact reason but it's got to be about the almighty dollar.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I'd bet if you do some digging you'll find out the answer to this question ultimately is "to save money". Maybe the bus already runs for a number of kids at lunch. Maybe they only have the therapists in their building in the AM. I don't know the exact reason but it's got to be about the almighty dollar.

And I'm betting you're right.